For family and friends?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For family and friends?

I would like to suggest some links that may be helpful for some of our "dry eye family" here, especially new members and really anyone who is going through an acutely painful time and who could benefit from more, or better, understanding and support from family and friends.

Often our loved ones would really like to understand but can't. While we may think they ought to just somehow "get it", it can be hugely helpful for them to hear it from someone other than you. It's not that they don't believe you, but if you give them the opportunity to see this situation through another pair of eyes too, it may really help broaden their perspective and understanding of what you're going through.

For family & friends of complications patients [referring to lasik/laser surgery] is an article I wrote several years ago hoping it could be useful to LASIK/LASEK/PRK patients who are struggling to communicate with family and friends about what they're going through with dry eye and/or vision complications.

Depression and anxiety is just a little article which has a section where I tried to highlight some of the top reasons why depression is so rampant amongst people with severe dry eye, based on what I've observed in these forums and in emailing/talking to patients over the years. My point in dissecting the problem is just to help people stop flogging themselves for 'not coping well'. If dry eye has brought you to your knees, you need to know you're not a wimp, and your family and friends need to know too.

Diana's story. This is a classic and I'm sure will always be the most-read thread on this bulletin board. While it centers around Diana's experience with LASIK, it really is much more broadly relevant for those with a dramatic life impact from dry eye.

IF ANYONE HAS MORE SUGGESTIONS, PLEASE POST ADDITIONAL LINKS OR EXCERPTS IN THIS THREAD.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244
Working...
X