5-HTP for depression ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5-HTP for depression ?

Has anyone tried this alternative supplement to treat depression?
    St John's Worth is anothe alternative but I've never tried it.
    I just want to find out as much as I can about alternatives to treat depression and if they are effective.
    Thanks!
    Dr eyes caused by long term contact lens wear

Some interesting articles. Draw your own conclusions....:

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psycho.../5htp_myth.htm

[emphasis added]

Although I believe that 5-HTP may have positive benefits, the articles I read provided too little detail to convince me that they are not just trying to sell the herb. My impression is that 5-HTP does help depression and most likely has other beneficial properties however, very little research has been done to prove this and even less evidence is to be found on the webs. Fortunately, the medical journals and reviews provide further insight into the benefits of 5-HTP. I can confidently say 5-HTP will provide benefits with regard to depression, blood pressure and minimal weight loss. However, with regards to sleeping disorders and panic attacks, I feel the research is inconclusive. I feel it may have benefits but to what extent is not know. It should also be realized that little was said as to the side effects of 5-HTP and any drawbacks. The only negative side effect was that there was an increase in anxiety in almost half the patients in the study by Costa and Greengard (1984). The fact that there have been so few studies on 5-HTP leads me to think there are side effects which are unknown to us still. Still, the consumer should consider 5-HTP for the stated ailments but should be wary to the possibility of averse reactions.
    Another one:

http://www.cma.ca/multimedia/staticC.../pdf/pg471.pdf

Comment

St. John's Wort

I tried St. John's Wort for depression for about 6 months. All it did was make my skin photosensitive -- I got a wicked sunburn after a day outside.

Comment

I take 5-HTP for depression and it does help. Not powerful like an antidepressive drug (Prozac, etc.) but does offer some relief.

Comment

Working...
        X