Feeling better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling better

I just wanted to let everyone know that I started taking an anitdepressant and I am feeling better. I am beginning to see just how bad I really was feeling. I probably should have done this long before now. I guess I just feel like it makes me a weak person, because I have to depend on a pill to be happy. But if something makes me act and feel better, it can't be a bad thing. I really appreciate everyone who offered some encouragment. I am sorry that everyone has to be here, but I am glad we have somewhere to go.

That is great news and I sure appreciate your taking the time to write about it!
    Originally posted by clintsmommy
    I guess I just feel like it makes me a weak person, because I have to depend on a pill to be happy.
    If someone breaks their leg and has to have a cast and crutches for a little while to set it and let it heal, they are not weak and they are not depending on the crutches to be happy.

You need time to heal and to allow natural coping skills to kick in. It is extremely common (read, normal!) with severe dry eye to go through a period of adjustment where one just plain gets totally overwhelmed. Don't beat yourself up over it.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

I'll take "weak" and happy over "strong" and miserable any day of the week and twice on Sunday

Welcome back. I'm glad you've found something that's working for you.

Like Dry Eye Syndrome: this is a bit of a long-term process to be managed.

Like taking antibiotics: just because you're feeling better on day three doesn't mean you should quit the drug.

I wish you all the best. Again: I'm really, really glad that you reached out for help.

Neil

Comment

Good to see you! I'm so glad to know you are coping better. I know how you feel about taking a pill. I felt that way once as well. Looking back, I don't feel the slightest bit weak about it. There are a whole lot of people who battle dry eye who have issues with depression. They definitely go hand-in-hand.

Best of luck from here. Perhaps now you'll be better able to work on improving your eyes as well.

Merry Christmas!

Diana
        Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Good

Hello - nice to hear you feel better. I've taken anti-depressants for a while but also remember the 2 1/2 years I felt bad and didn't go to my doctor due to the stigma. Seems silly now.
          Being on them pre-dates my dry eye.
          Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

Clintsmommy - I too am glad that you are feeling better. There are some wonderful people on this board who let new DES sufferers like you and I know that we are not alone and our feeling of depression is not unique. You and I are on a similar boat. I have 2 kids and I have battled depression since my LASIK experience 6+ months ago. I am also on anti-depressants, but I have never thought about being weak in seeking mental health/therapy.

Mental health is vitally important since a positive/stable mental state has been proven to be one of the key factors to physical healing. Again, the mind is an amazing thing (with amazing healing qualities). As humans, we barely tap into the minds potential (I believe we only use about 10% of our brains capacity). This is why Neil's rant on Yoga is very correct and appropriate (although I still haven't tried it ). Yoga allows the human brain to free up and perhaps also allows the mind to go to places that it has never been (perhaps to some of that 90% of untapped brain power that could be used for good things like physical AND mental healing and health).

Therefore, I am glad that you realize that you are not weak for seeking mental health after something that is truly traumatic. To the contrary, I think it shows a sign of intelligence that you would do so. Having said this, anti-depressents are a crutch that we need but ultimately, we need to use this crutch as support to help us heal so that we can strive to walk again and be functional even during times of pain. Many on this BB have proven that it can be done and I use this in part as my inspiration for my own sake as well as my families. Happy holidays and best wishes for further progress.

Comment

Feeling better too!!!!!!!!!!

Marty,
              I have been following your posts and I am so happy you are doing better you came to the right place for help and advice. I too am on an antidepressant and will probably be on one for awhile. It has helped overcome feelings of guilt (lasik surgery)and the terrible desperation of always being in pain and just wanting to give up. I cannot belive its been almost two years since I had the surgery and all the havoc it has wreaked but I am better and coping with my situation and if meds help I say go for it!!!! For all you on the forum who havent heard from me in awhile my prediction was true I have 2 children getting married within 5 weeks of each other next year,at first I was really stressed and upset because before this eye thing I could play a more active role but I am doing okay now and god bless my kids and husband they are very supportive and know my limits. My daughter has given me an early Xmas present of a puppy I never had a dog before and the little bugger has really helped my spirits and is great company because I am home so much. My life is definitlely different now but I am moving forward and that is something I could not say this time last year. I want to wish everyone a wonderful holiday and offer anyone encouragement who is going through a rough time. Thanks to everyone who helped me get to this place....Peggy

Comment

Peggy,

I'm so glad to know you are also feeling better as well! All the effort it took to get through the intitial shock of it all was certainly worth it. Pushing on is not easy, but I'm glad to be here instead of allowing myself to self-destruct. And heck, if antidepressant usage is weak, then we can all be weak here together.

Good luck with those weddings. Geez. That's a lot going on but what great fun! Better get that puppy trained before the grandbabies start arriving...

Diana
                Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Congratulations Peggy. I remember how excited and STRESSED my mother was when I got married, and you have two weddings. PHEW... Thank you for your kind words. When I first found and posted on here. I really did not think anyone would care. I just needed to let it out somewhere. I could not talk to my family, so complete strangers was my next choice Everyone on here is so great. It is amazing how people connect through sharing the same ailment. I am glad to hear the puppy is making you feel better. Like children, animals are so wonderful and innocent. My little boy has really helped me. I have come very close to giving up, but I have to stay strong for him.Anyways I have been feeling better and I am thinking a lot more rationally. For some reason, I have been thinking that I am supposed to go through life without having to face any problems, and that if one does arise, I am supposed to just give up. Well that would be a waste. Anyways I know I am rambling, but I feel like I have walked out of a fog. I hope everyone has a MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Comment

Hi Marty!!

I don't know how I could have missed this post originally, but I'm so glad that you are feeling better! I have been thinking about you alot lately, and am so glad that you feel that you are getting things under control! And nice to see you posting too, Peggy! I can vouch for Peggy when she says she is so much better this year. I remember the first time I "talked" to Peggy. It was through a private message and I think I got it on Christmas Eve 2005. I was miserable, and so was she. We certainly both have come a long way!

-Shells

Comment

Working...
                    X