Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stress and dry eye

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all having good eye days. I'm just curious as to what everyone does to help relieve stress from dry eyes. I often find that I have shortness of breath and that my entire body aches after a day at work with dry eyes. I really think that my symptoms are manifestations of my anxiety and depression due to the last year of coping with dry eye. A good friend of mine suggested that exercise might help to relieve my stress. I'm going to start exercising more frequently. I wondered if anyone else have any other suggestions that might help.

Thanks, Julie

Julie, I can completely relate!

The stress, axiety, and depression induced by my dry eye symptoms usually gets me soo tense and uptight that I fail to stop and breath regularly, which I feel greatly attributes to my stress level. I notice that at its worst, I usually will be breathing very shallow and quickly. I think it is important to remind yourself to stop and breath deeply using your stomach - I've heard it called "gut breathing." This is very relaxing for the body as a whole - it will slow the heart and sends a message to the brain... "relax, we are in a safe place where no threats/predators are present."

I think that meditation in general is great - and it doesn't have to be complicated. Just sit quietly with your eyes closed when you have the time, maybe light a scented candle, sit/lie in a comfortable position and just listen to your breathing, allowing it to be relaxed, deep (but not forceful), and from your stomach. Perhaps have a warm compress on while you are doing this. Even people that don't suffer from DES should probably do this daily as a stress reducer.

I agree that exercise is a great way of handling your stress as well. It doesn't have to be anything intense or back-breaking or sweat inducing. I know it always helps me to sleep better.

I hope these help in some way! Take care and remember you're not alone,
    Jason

"We should not be looking for answers to the diseases we suffer from today, but why many peoples in the world don't get them at all."

Comment

Working...
    X