Anxiety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anxiety

ANyone else experience tremendous anxiety as a result of their dry eye. Sometimes I feel I cut can the tension with a knife. Any tips on keeping it at bay.
    If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Hot bath in a steamy low lit bathroom helps me a lot. I can put on hot compresses at the same time, listen to music and try to relax. The steam helps immensely. It is a rough thing when the dryness gets to the point of anxiety. Sometimes I could only sit and cry.

Comment

Prayer, relaxation "tapes" or recordings, books on tape for diversion, hot shower, antidepressants...
      Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

The L-Theanine in green tea has been shown to have anti-anxiety effects, along with a slew of other health benefits. I also find that breathing exercises are the quickest way to lessen stress or calm anxiety. Try exercise two and three on this page anytime you feel tense or anxious. I also agree with the suggestions from dianat and rubyslippers.

Comment

I will second the L-Theanine. It works the best for me. I take it at night along with some L-Tryptophane if I am really wired and can't sleep. Niacinamide is also good for during the day.
          Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Anxiety

Hi,
            I think anxiety is the main symptom of people like myself with mild dry eye. I do not have pain and no visual disturbance. I have chronic discomfort and irritation. Coping with something like this which is not likely to cease permanently can have significant effects on one's mental wellbeing.
            Any thoughts?
            Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

anxiety

I found much of my anxiety came from fearing scenraios which were worse than "just" dry eye. An MRI/scan reassured me on that front and lessened my anxiety. However the day to day symptoms of dry eye can still leave me short tempered, snappy and generally on a "short fuse". Alcohol helps at the time but the next day dehydration is worse than ever. If I play sport or have a similar distraction I find that I do not think of my dry eye symptoms - any escape is very welcome.

Comment

canine solution

In 2000, when my symptoms were at a peak, and I was facing a corneal debridement to take care of a loose/rough spot in one eye, I became very conscious of my need to identify an enduring reason to get through each day. I needed to alter my consciousness so that more of it was filled with non-eye issues. At the time, only one of 7 animals I'd had, over 20 years, still survived, and he was getting frail. About a week after the debridement, with bandage lens still in, I woke up one day and created some excuse to visit a local animal shelter. There I quickly spotted a tiny, young, girl mutt, who could not stop shaking, as she stood on her stark cement slab in her stall. I inserted my hand (never wise) into the stall, and over 1/2 hour, my tiny came closer and closer, eventually sitting right up against the fencing, licking my hand methodically. I applied for her immediately, and 3 days letter, after she passed the health check, I marched her out of there on her new leash. She has not left my side willingly for the whole 8 years since. I don't have many bad eyes days anymore, since sticking with Dwelle, but when I do, or when other health problems threaten to disrupt life, I still have to walk my tiny and cuddle her and feed her many times each day. . .Early on, I would walk her at length, nearly unable to keep the right/debrided eye open. . .Over the years, my doggie accelerated the mental healing every time she demanded something new. . .

I don't advocate taking on an animal if you don't have sufficient resources to provide a completely secure home, good food, and veterinary care. . But if you are blessed with these resources, and have a friend or loved one to serve during true emergencies, bringing a new animal into one's life can be surprisingly therapeutic. . .It won't work, though, unless this is undertaken in the spirit of aiming to provide a therapeutic, deeply committed, and lifelong rescue to the little one who is adopted. . .
                <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Exercise helps anxiety. I go for walks - long fast walks - and also go in walking events now (10km etc) which are great - lots of spot prizes too and lots of company. I wear protective eyewear. I have a new neighbour and she walks with me a lot now as being with friends and having company while exercising is good too. No time to brew about dry sore eyes. I have an exercycle in the lounge now too - I pedal like mad while I watch/listen to a good story on TV.
                  I also found clonazapam (1/2 tablet per day) helped with my face pain and eye burning. Relief of pain is a big help in relieving anxiety.
                  I keep myself busy in a non stressful way so that my mind is on other things.
                  Rojzen is so right about animals too. We had a kitten come and adopt us about a year ago (we already have an old good natured tabby) and it is great the way this kitten has become part of the family and gives so much love.
                  My anxiety was really bad for the first year following my Lasik and is still lurking there if I let it take over. 5HTP tablets were helpful too.
                  When the going gets tough - the tough get going!

Comment

I agree exercise is very important, of which I've done none for about 8 months now due to too much work, three surgeries, and life in general. Next Monday I plan to start some type of exercise. Really... Rojzen is absolutely right about "canine solution". My collie, Madison, is 5 years old and is the sweetest, gentlest most loving dog I've had in my lifetime. I can't say enough about how much she has comforted me over these last several years... Prayers of thanks to God and asking Him for daily strength are very helpful as well.

Comment

Rojzen, that post made me cry (happy cry). You are a good soul.

Comment

I also had terrible anxiety after the complications of my surgery and am on a very small dose of meds. But also the best thing that helped me was my daughter bought me a dog Xmas 2006. I was home so much because of pain I was pretty lonely. I call Tucker my miracle dog ...he has brought me great joy and is a great companion especially on my bad days. Never had a puppy before and I cant believe how much he has helped!!!! I am try to walk more but its tough because of headaches but I know the walking really helps the anxiety. So you are not alone, I feel anxiety and depression go hand in hand with the eye problems!!! Peggy

Comment

Anxiety

My MGB and dry eyes are deeply depressing to me right now. I get such burning way back under the left eyelid. I have fears of developing a sort of cellulitis which makes me really panic. I also have to go on walks to relieve the stress. It's been raining a lot here so I haven't been able to get out as much.

I had the gland dysfunction under control for 5 years by going on Minocycline off and on. I am resistant to that now so that has left me in a panic for a solution. I seem to have a reaction to every drop out there except Theratears. Has anyone had any results with Bacitracin? Maybe I should try chloromycetin ointment (how do you spell that?). Are Boston Scleral Lenses beneficial to someone with MGB?

Anything else? I want my life back...........

Comment

have you tried Dwelle, and given it a good chance?

Clioos: You clearly have mastery over the pharmaceutical options that may be out there for your MGD, and possibly you have referenced OTC drops other than TheraTears in prior posts. I just wanted to be sure that you have used Dwelle, and given it a good, long chance to work.

I developed severe MGD in 1998, and was fully disabled with it for many months. Using customized moisture chamber glasses got me back to working and driving and going outdoors, in general, but my break-up time remained about seconds for 10 years. Restasis reduced burning pain, for me, and I was on doxycycline and tetracycline (alternating) for about 6 years, with no significant improvement. Finally, after joining DEZ, and learning about Dr. Holly's drops, I tried Dwelle. The first few days were not memorable, and so I stupidly abandoned the product. Months later, truly fed up with Restasis, and ready to stop it, I went back to Dwelle, and stuck with it as my SOLE treatment. After about 7 months, I realized I could get on without my moisture chambers. Early tests showed an increase in my tear break-up time. Today, over 1 year after my commitment to Dwelle, I am still without moisture chambers, completely without pain, and even getting lazy about getting my eyes checked regularly. (I'd even had corneal erosions, early on, but now detect no symptoms of these.)

Dwelle is not a miracle for everyone, but I so wish that more of us would stick with it before giving up on it, because experience tells me that it is a solution that takes some time to set in.

FYI, my meibomians are still not expressible, and are essentially atrophied. Somehow, however, with a good lid cleanse in the a.m., and my Dwelle overnight, and once in the a.m., I manage to function. . .Hope that helps. . .
                            <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Working...
                            X