Dry eyes worse from stress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry eyes worse from stress

Do any of y'all notice that your dry eye problems are worse when y'all become stressed or anxious for a long period of time? I sure do and I find it really annoying. I'm curious to hear y'alls thoughts on this.
    Last edited by Amy09; 15-Aug-2005, 16:21.
    -Amy

Yes, I seem to notice a connection. Stress affects your body in many ways, so it makes sense that it would affect your eyes also. Vicious cycle....eye hurt, you get stressed, eyes hurt more.....
    Which is why I started the thread on what people do to reduce stress/anxiety. I doubt if reducing stress can cure you, but it certainly may help.

Comment

Ooh ok, I will definately check out that thread. I completely agree about the vicious cycle thing, too!!! It's very frustrating, but I guess its just another thing we dry eye patients have to learn to live with.
      -Amy

Comment

What I find is that when I have something I absolutely have to do and that is inherently stressful (like driving for an hour and a half one way to move my son from a house to an apartment - and he hasn't yet packed a single thing) I am focussed on the task at hand ...until...my thoughts as I prepare for the day and run through the mental checklist of what has to be done and how...wander to my eyes and I have that choking thought that my eyes will not hold up. It is only then that I begin the 'eye worry' and my stress ramps up. I *know* stuff like that will tax my eyes and should take it in stride but nonetheless, the 'eye worry' takes me by surprise and I go into anxiety mode over it.

Sometimes I think if I could just keep those 'eye' thoughts at bay I could do whatever it is I have to do and be none the worse for wear.
        Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

Dry Eyes Worse From Stress

Do you know what is causing your dry eyes? I have ocular rosacea (Blepharitis/Meibomian Gland Dysfunction to be specific) and from what I have learned frequent flushing of the eye surface can cause burning sensations and disturb the tear film layer.

When I am nervous, anxious, etc... my eyes burn much more. It is a real pain! Guess we could all use less stress in life, huh!

Comment

for me, the eye burns a lot due to the stress that i am getting whenever i have a lot of tings to do..

Comment

Wow, I was thinking the same thing as you guys do. I do really believe dry eyes has connection between stress. Because come on its common sense. Stress hurts your immune system which makes it hard for your body to repair itself. The stress leads to not sleeping good at night which really messes with your immune system.

So if you break down the reasons that cause dry eyes that don't have , for example.

1. Not allergy related
              2. Not long term environmental problem
              3. not a aging issue im only 21
              4.I blink enough i think.
              5.my tears seem to evaporate quickly not that I don't have tears already.

Soo all I know is when i was 14 Never had any trouble with my eyes , until school hit me and cause me to get stress all the time and depression in highschool. The sleep can mess with your body if you don't get enough. I am truly starting to believe stress can be main factor in why your immune system doesn't aid properly to the eyes.

Comment

Im actually in the same situation as you are Tribal,

Im only 20. have mgd/blepharitis, never have had acne or any skin problem. those stressful years as a teen.....my eyes started getting drier at the age of 16, from their, the oil got thicker in my glands, maybe all is attributed to stress working and school.....

rhad

Comment

stress

From my personal experience, stress DEFINITELY plays a role in the dryness and redness of my eyes. I have noticed this. It seems when I am on vacation at the beach, my eyes look and feel so much better.

Comment

Yes, I been stress since i was like 16 myself. I don't know maybe it is all stress, also when I would go on vacation my eyes would feel better to. I never seem to worry about my eyes on trips.

But then again so many people stress out. And only some get eye problems, soooo hmmm.

Comment

Working...
                    X