This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Doctor

I'm back for those who remember me! Need to vent my anger somewhere as I am still fuming. I had another horrible experience on Friday with a doctor. One of my plugs fell out on Wednesday and I thought that it would be a simple matter to go in on Friday and get it put back in.

But, no...the doctor started trying to tell me that my dry eyes could be due to my blepharitis and refused, yes after 5 goddamn years being treated at Northwestern Medical Faculty Foundation by their doctors, refused to put it back in. He wanted to see if it was the blepharitis.

In short, after begging them to put it back in, I was sent away with a pre-scription for blephamite that cost me a $60 copay. Now, after going through 4 days of hell (work was absolute hell looking at the computer screen all day today) and it will be hell tommorrow until I get off early again to see the eye doctor. I have another appointment for 3:30 p.m and am anticipating another fight on my hands.

And my thought is that I shouldn't be going through this. I am going to get them to refer me out but the problem is that I'm with a HMO insurance which makes it significantly more expensive if I go to someone else.
    But, I've had enough and I'm actually thinking about contacting a medical malpractice attorney and seeing if I can sue them.

My gripe is: 1. The doctor didn't listen to me. 2. After 5 years, it should be well documented in my chart that blepharitis is not the main cause of my dry eyes. My body doesn't produce enough tears and even if I had no blepharitis whatsoever, I would still have severe dry eyes. 3. They did a schirmers test last time. He did not even look at these reports. 4. If he had bothered to check the chart, he'd see that the treatment he had given me for blepharitis was ineffective abotu 3 years ago. 5. If it's not in the chart, they aren't documented my medical history properly and there has to be some law against this.

Anyway, this is about the third time this has happened because I keep getting treated by new docs when a plug falls out because I want somebody on short notice. They are normally fine but every now and again, one of them is a complete !@#$@#% and treats me like I was a new patient. Athe the complete #@!!@#$ is always an old man. So, my advice to you is to stay away from any doctor that looks like they are over the age of 50 years old (in this case, it was more like 60).

/End rant

Hi Danny--Maybe I'm the first to read your rant? Not too bad.
    I can't take this whole thing on tonight, it's very late. One thing I'd like to mention is IF you can "make friends" with an eye doctor either an old man, or a young woman, or old lady whatever.......if you don't come to their office with an attitude, they may be more friendly. I am not suggesting that you are not entitled to your "attitude" and that the drs are, indeed, **&&^^.....

However, if you can make peace with someone and see him/her, they will likely take you on short notice. If they know you'll rant and rave in the office or on the phone, I can't say I blame them for shuffling you off. It's not right, mind you. I've been to many eye drs across the country and know what it's like.

If you are trying to prove a law that the drs are "skipping" you will be wasting lots of energy. My Lasik guy ruined my eyes 10 years ago. I still see him for ongoing care. I have also added Sjogrens to my difficulty (not his fault) and I'm against a brick wall. I used to use bad words/accusations with him (true), but found since I've cooled down he will spend time trying to help me and will take my suggestions into account for treatment. (We know more than they do.)

After all this time, why don't you have at least two of your punctum cauterized? Something to think of, if it will help you. Best, Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by Danny_ View Post
      thinking about contacting a medical malpractice attorney and seeing if I . Athe the complete #@!!@#$ is always an old man. So, my advice to you is to stay away from any doctor that looks like they are over the age of 50 years old (in this case, it was more like 60).

/End rant
      Why the ageist remark?

I have suffered with this dry eye & bleph for a long time - but so far I haven't noticed a pattern in whether poor treatment comes from someone is old / young / middle aged / male / female etc etc.

Comment

"Young...Old. Just words"- George Burns

Comment

Danny,

I'm sorry for you frustrations, I really am. I can empathized as I had a doc pull a 180 on me this year as well. I couldn't believe it and still can't. I'd say I'd been seeking the same treatment (serum drops) for about five years as well and was suddenly harassed for what had always been done without question.

Hang in there with this. I'm certain you'll get your plug in time. Clearly it's an effective treatment for you and you need it to function. It's a benign enough procedure, someone will do it for you. In the meantime, feel free to vent all you like. You deserve it and I am truly sorry. As if this condition isn't difficult enough...

Diana
          Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny_ View Post
            So, my advice to you is to stay away from any doctor that looks like they are over the age of 50 years old (in this case, it was more like 60).
            You're free to rant within reason, and the over-50 majority of members here are free to virtually lash you for making a comment like this.

Danny, I'm sorry for the negative experience, and I have a suggestion to prevent it next time (and I have the same suggestion for anyone who has repeatedly had bad experiences in the doctor's office):

Prepare your doctor (and yourself) for the appointment by sending a 1-page fax which includes:
            - the condition(s) or symptom(s) you need to be seen for
            - an explanation of your symptoms
            - a synopsis of your treatment history for this (and related, if applicable) condition
            - your specific objective(s) for the appointment.

Send this the day before, if possible, but even an hour before will probably be OK. I think you'll find that helps in many ways to make the appointment go smoothly and reach the objective. - So often every doctor visit is like starting from scratch. I take a purely pragmatic approach to this kind of problem i.e. instead of griping about what they should be doing on their own initiative, see what we can do to help them do it. It will take some of the stress out of the experience..
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Hello Danny,

I have used HMOs for years, and there are tricks & techniques to get what you want from them.

If you want to see a specific doctor on short notice, don't go through the regular appointment center.

Instead, get the phone number for that doctor's office and talk to the administrator / nurse who works with that doctor. Generally if you call when they first get in, in the morning, they can work you in for that day.

Good luck,

Lynne

Comment

Thanks guys and I am sorry for the ageist remark. Obviously, any generalizations are stupid...just in my experience, it always tends to be an old man. I'm sure why...there are plenty of older docs that are absolutely great though.

I went back to another doc yesterday and had a horrible time getting the plug back in but he got it in on his last try and that's the main thing. One thing that I'm learning about plugs is that the longer you use them, the more your punctua get scarred and the harder it is to get them in or least, that's what I was being told. It might just be that they were bad at puting in plugs. I have a sneaking suspicion that this may be part of it.

Anyway, I am considering cauterization but the doc I saw yesterday refused to let me consider it. He was worried about it being permanent etc. but after 5 years of using plugs, I think that I should get a say in it. I'm going to see a doctor at Chicago Cornea Consultants that was recommended on here in the plugs thread. Can't remember his name~but I have an appointment on Aug 27th.

Thanks for the ideas by the way. I think what you suggested is a good idea Rebecca. I might do that for the new appointment.

Comment

Danny, don't take this as gospel, but I have heard good things about the Chicago Cornea Consultants group. I don't even know why or how I recollect this, but it seems they should be more than capable of putting a plug (or plugs). Let us know how it goes. Good luck. Lucy

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Thanks for the info Lucy. And I am very sorry about what happened to you with the Lasik. My dry eyes is genetic but if somebody had actually caused it, I think that would be harder to take. Given that you have Sjogren's they should never have let you do that procedure. It surely falls under the category of negligence on their part.

Comment

Danny, so you have my situation clear, I did not have Sjogrens at the time of Lasik (that I know of). My doctor did NOT test me for dry eye, however, and had he done so I'm sure I would have been on the "too low" side. I had lasik 10 years ago, diagnosed with Sjogrens two and one-half years ago. They say that it takes an average of 7 years for a Sjogrens diagnosis.

Best to you, Lucy

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
                      X