This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stress causing flare ups?

has anyone noticed when they have flare ups with dryness if they believe it is stress related at all?
    Jenny

Yes I have noticed that. For some reason when I am at school my eyes are always worse. Sometimes they are ok, but if I know that I have to talk in front of a lot of people I feel more stressed out and my eyes always feel worse. I know that stress causes certain chemical reactions in the body and I definitely think that it is a factor in dry eyes.

Comment

thanks for taking the time to reply to me.. i def think there is a connection.. i better keep up my yoga!! lol
      Jenny

Comment

I find that the whole business is tougher to cope with if I'm stressed.

That makes me more stressed.

Keep up the yoga.

Comment

My wifes arthritis and eyes both flare up over stress. And not always with just bad stress, good stress sometimes has a negative impact.

Comment

definitely, stress affects all my medical issues adversely!

Comment

Thanks so much to everyone who replied! I have been trying to stay relaxed and not worry about my eyes so much and I definitely feel a lot better! And of course, as soon as I start to fret over my eyes they start to get dry... Def a connection!! thanks again.. here's to all of us to not let stress get the best of us!!
              Jenny

Comment

Indrep makes an interesting point about `good stress having a negative impact'.

We are familiar with the word distress because of its negative implications but it's rare to hear anyone used the word eustress which means stress as a positive force. Both can be equally taxing on the body. I've never really managed to resolve or cope with the persistent discomfort of my dry eyes and I'm pretty sure that this has affected other aspects of physical health.

You are right Jenny - we must not allow stress to get the better of us which I know is easier said than done. Rather stupidly, I let nasty family in-laws upset me for years. I learned to say `No' to their demands and now I never see them. (So much better - ) I've learnt not to feel guilty if I don't readily volunteer to do stuff at work. It's all a few less stresses but it mounts up - and this can only be good.

Comment

Irish eyes-i agree with you 100%.. I no longer feel 'guilty' about not being able to do a lot of things for others-I just can't .. I know my limits and if I feel hesitant about something I go with my gut. I still get stressed but I am working on just keeping it under control. Tomorrow I go back to work after being off since Tuesday! I am trying not to stress about that ! ha ha

On another note-the Azasite seems to be helping me.. I felt really good yesterday and good so far today.. I hope everyone else is feeling good! Pray for a cure!!!
                  Jenny

Comment

Hi Jenny

A former work colleague who used to speak in a long winded fashion, once advised me to `husband my resources' in regard to my health. Not wanting to appear ignorant, I nodded sagely and then went away to look it up.

Put simply, this means managing resources carefully. I tire very easily so I have had to learn to pace myself - and keep some energy in reserve for those more pressing occasions. Or just ensure that I make time for myself and not let others get the better of me. All this is really obvious but it took someone else to point it out.

Pleased to hear that the Azasite is helping. You made me smile when you said that you were trying not to get too stressed about returning to work tomorrow. I work in education so don't work over the summer. Did I get stressed the week before I returned? Of course I did. Was everything OK when I got there? Yes of course it was. It felt as though I'd never been away.

Comment

Irish Eyes-I really needed to hear your advise this morning! Thank you.. Yes, I am going back to work today-haven't been there since last Tuesday! But your words of encouragement definitely help! I enjoy my job and I work with wonderful, understanding people. It will be good to be back and soon I will be on my routine and everything will be ok.

I agree with you 100% about 'husbanding your resources".. I tire a lot easier than I used to as well and I am 34 (not a spring chicken but not old either!) hee,hee..

Have a great day..a great eye day especially..! there will be better treatments and maybe a cure one day!!
                      Jenny

Comment

Bumping this post because it is so important that we remember to RELAX and try not to sweat every bump in the road. For every good eye day there may be a bad one but I am learning to cherish the good ones more and more. I think that depression attacks our "weak points" and for us, that is our eyes.

I have also read a lot about adrenal gland fatigue and I think that as we all deal with this dry eye problem, having found ourselves here for various reasons, we begin to suffer from it. The adrenals control our androgen production (a deficiency of androgen is directly tied to dry eye), as well as the meibomian and lacrimal gland outputs. They have to be related - I cannot see how on earth they are separate animals!

I guess my advice would be, try to wake up on the so-called "right" side of the bed every day. I've been trying to fill my head with positive thoughts in the morning and I am finding that I feel better during the day when I've done so. Bottom line is that I am coping better and thus notice my eyes less.

Comment

I completely agree.. I had a 'bad' day yesterday but made it through my work day and relaxed when I came home and actually felt a little better. Today I am at work again and not doing too bad. It is easier said than done but relaxing and not fretting so much about your eyes makes for a better eye day-granted there will still be some bad days... but learning how to cope w/ them-- getting upset just makes them hurt more..
                          Jenny

Comment

Working...
                          X