Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Dry eye, how do you hold down a job??
Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
-
It's a challenge. My employer has been accommodating with getting me an anti-glare screen for my monitor. I have had building maintenance come in and direct the vents away from my work space. Up until now I have managed by working at home part time where the environment is more suited to my DES and I can more easily alternate tasks during the day. Now my boss wants me at my desk more which is wreaking havoc with my DES. The only reason I am managing is with Rx FreshKote and Lotemax twice daily. I make sure I take breaks (I never used to) twice daily. I physically leave my office for 15 minutes so I am not tempted to take my break in front of my computer. I also leave for my lunch break and go sit in my car and close my eyes. I have cut my computer use at home way back as well. I too fear the day will come when I won't be able to tolerate work with my DES.
-
It really is something I've been thinking too.
My dry eye was really bad after I quit my last job to study (read 11 hours a day with dry eye is not a cool thing to do) ...
But since that moment as I've been thinking about working again. The likely services should I get will have air conditioning and require me to work with the public.
I think we have to get a nice glasses. The problem is that clear lens glasses with a giant foam on the side are not pretty
Frankly, I see no choice but to eyewear. I would be very ugly adapt those models 7eye w / clear lenses?
The cool thing is that I did LASIK for me to get rid of glasses and now I have to use other 300x more annoying and terrible.
As for the computer. When I use my glasses protected my eyes feel nothing at the end of the day.
My friends say I'm like the Robin (yes, Batman's Robin) with these goggles ...
Leave a comment:
-
You just have to go job hunting when you get here and learn to adapt. Not sure what else I can say except to keep working at it. I work at construction type work and have learned how to look at things by many different angles to see what I am missing, but I have work and I am making a living. I just learned to adapt to this and I just stay with it. I don't know what you want to do but I do know for us we will have to work harder at it. I have talent that would earn me a great income but I stay with what I can do and just be thankful that I have eyesight at all. I have had a long life of dry eye trouble, about 50 years worth. There is progress being made in that field and if you have not tried everything yet or changed docs those could help. I have seen many docs in my lifetime but only 2 of them were helpful in dry eye. Keep trying and if you haven't done so look over this site for ideas on treatments and things to try so you can get some relief. People here are most helpful.
Leave a comment:
-
What perscription are you?
I have a high-ish rx, i have not been able to find any decent looking goggles that they will fit with my -4.5.
I have wileys but i have to where them 'blind' which is no good for work.
MEGS look massive? do you have a pic of you in them you could send me.. my email is elizabethwin8@hotmail.com
What do you do in retail, what does your job entail?
If i could find some stylish chamber glasses that WOULD be a massive help to me whilist working. But like i said most that are small and stylish will not fit my -4.5. It sucks!
I know im in this for the long hall, because ive had it 5 years so far and not much has helped.
Funnily enough i find working on the PC pretty easy with dry eye, its the interacting and feeling stressed because its so hard to communicate with eye contact and listening that i find hard.. which is required in most jobs.. I wanted to go into health which you need these skills for. I have the skills but dry eye is preventing me using them well.
Leave a comment:
-
Guest repliedFor me, moisture chambers if one kind or another are what allows me to work and keep my eyes tolerable... fortunately, my job doesn't involve constant computer use...
I found MEGS to be helpful... surprisingly, I've received multiple compliments on them from my customers in the past several weeks "high fashion", " very European looking", " they look like they belong in Vogue" etc
So I guess my strategy of trying to dress well while wearing them is working to make people assume that MEGS are just such a new fashion that they haven't heard of them yet lol
I just ordered a pair of custom moisture chambers to further improve my comfort at work...
I can totally relate to the looking down thing and not always being able to look people in the eyes... bit I've found customers to be incredibly sympathetic when they find out what my "trendy" megs are really for...
As far as what kind of job... you know the drill... minimal reading and computer work is best...
I've been wishing lately that I could work in a humid greenhouse lol... it would be nice for these dry eyes!
I currently work in a retail environment... so it's not too bad... I think jobs involving in person customer service type stuff is usually minimal for computer use... I've always thought being a real estate agent would be an interesting job and not too bad for dry eyes...
Not sure what your degree us in... so hard to know what to suggest...
Leave a comment:
-
Dry eye, how do you hold down a job??
Hi,
As many will know ive been a long term member (5 years now).
Ive been in school the last two years and worked part time/full for my mum over the past 5 years... obviously shes understanding and forgiving for my limmitations and work and inconistency because of my eyes. But im moving to the US to live with my fiance soon.
And this is something that has scared me the whole time.. How am i going to hold down a proper job??
I find it extreemly difficult to concentrate with dry eye, does anyone else get this? and i think this is going to hamper me in a job... I miss what people say despite really trying to listen.
Also i find eye contact difficult, and i look like im not listening because i have to look down or i cant hols eye contact for long...anyone else find this?
why would an employer be patient with someone like me who has a disability that effects how they work? (esp in the economic climit where many people need jobs).
What sort of jobs are dry eye friendly, that arent as taxing on concentration etc?
I will have a degree but i wonder whats the point if all i can do is ''easy'' jobs that dont require much... am i being negative?
I got back from volunteering in a mental health hosptial, and even doing simple things i foudn stressfull.
Its hard being young because we have alot to ''prove'' to an employer.Tags: None

Leave a comment: