Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your nervousness about competing for jobs and proving yourself as a young new employee is understandable. I graduated from college in 1977 with dry eye problems that were at that time managable, but I have gotten worse over the years to the point now it is severe. I have done state agency work in personnel and purchasing for 28 years. I have compensated for my disability mainly by working extra hours and taking work home, and just doing what I have to do to get the job done. I won't lie, it's been hard.

I would suggest trying to find work in a large non-profit organization. Not because the expectations would be lower, but that generally they can be more tolerant in giving you time to prove yourself. Also, once you get your foot in the door and find you are in a job that you just can't do, your options for transferring to another job are better in a large organization.

I think you are going to have to be up front with your prospective employers about your disability. They may be able to offer flexible work hours and perhaps allow you to do some work at home. Work hard on preparing for your interviews and learn as much about the organization as you can. I wish you the very best!!

Jerry, Okla. City, OK.

Comment

I am an architect and working with computer all day long. I just got Master degree from States and came back to China for the new stage of my career. Obviously, the post lasik dry eye, almost kill everything, especially in the psychological side.

From the post in the forum, I knew lots of people quit or switch their jobs. I dont know how to deal with this kinda of situation. I still have lots of dream to pursuit as an architect. is that mean my goal is sentenced to death? or say, achiveing anything in my career will be a mission impossible. I never realize there is something could make me so depressing, people will find extremly hard when they can't find any hope.

I dont know if I should fight with dry eye and continue working as an architect, or just give up the career.

as the host said, we have problem looking other people's eyes. is that the problem we should be more confident to conquer this problem or we should just avoid avoid, and avoid... I dont know how to find happniess under this kidna of physical condition.

everyday wake up in the morning, the only thing i can think of is how to fight with dry eye from the very first minutes in the morning.

Give up hope is almost like give up my life. but where hope would come from?

we even call it disablility?

Comment

Originally posted by frankzhang View Post

Give up hope is almost like give up my life. but where hope would come from?
        Sometimes hope is hard to come by with this crazy condition... I've had weeks/months like that myself... but eventually, if you are open to it, I think hope will come back to you...

Eventually you will find the strength to handle this condition... sometimes it just takes time...

How long ago was your Lasik procedure?

Comment

Originally posted by littlemermaid View Post
          Round by us there are IT guys bombing round fixing desperate people's home computers for decent money (cabling, upgrades, antivirus, software). We worship them. Charge what you like for emergency call out. Software training businesses are doing OK too. You need never be out of work, my friend
          It is one of the things I've considered. There are drawbacks:

- alot of evening work, which is the time of day I really don't want to be staring at computer screens
          - people's home are full of allergens, dust, smoke etc
          - people's PCs are full of internal crap
          - work would be very variable
          - potentially a fair bit of driving

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not ruling it out. It seems a shame for me to get some low paid skill-less job which doesn't use the IT skills I've acquired over the last 15 years. And if I can make this work I'd only have to work part time which would be great.

I suppose the thing to do is the wait until my full time job ends, and then try it.

Comment

Originally posted by SAAG View Post
            Sometimes hope is hard to come by with this crazy condition... I've had weeks/months like that myself... but eventually, if you are open to it, I think hope will come back to you...

Eventually you will find the strength to handle this condition... sometimes it just takes time...

How long ago was your Lasik procedure?
            I did Lasik procedure in March 2009. I just dont understand I am not a good candindate for the surgeon, but why the doctor thought i am a perfect one even after a series of check ups..... I knew it's too late to blame anyone, but I believe there will be still more and more people get this kinda situation....

I wont give up my job, even for one day, but it cost much more energy to perform like a normal person. I will stick to this job otherwise i will lost even more.

Comment

Originally posted by frankzhang View Post
              ....... but it cost much more energy to perform like a normal person.....
              This is so true.

One of my work colleagues had to take a couple of days sick leave this week because she had conjunctivitis. She is OK now but she told my line manager (who then told me) that never before had she really understood what it must be like for me having something the wrong all the time. When you see a person coping - you think they must be OK and that's it.

She had suffered with a relatively minor complaint for a few days and admitted she was nearly demented with frustration and fatigued to the point of wanting to cry. I fully understood.

Comment

Working...
              X