This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Alex,
    I had the first trial of a new innovative mini-scleral lens today (18mm). The trial lens felt extremely comfortable and the liquid stayed in very well. It was a relief compared to past scleral trial sets I've tried, they were so painful I wanted them out. So it was a good day. I walked outside with them for 30 minutes, using my moisture chamber glasses, then taking the glasses off and comparing the difference with wind blowing on my face. Without the moisture chamber glasses, the exposed sclera still felt a bit 'cold' but no where near compared to the discomfort without the sclerals on. I was stoked.
    I am going back next week to wear the trial mini-sclerals for 5 hours to see if they provide real comfort before sending for a 'real' set to be made. They are plasma coated and much better than the previous brand of scleral lenses I've tried. Mini-sclerals don't come in larger than 18mm but my optometrist said he could convince the manufacturer (they are in Brisbane) to make them a few mm larger for me. However, did you know many wearers of boston sclerals are 18mm? Rebecca could back me up on this. There is also a forum on here called "What size is your sclerals" (take a look at that). I asked the optometrist if going wider will reduce further symptoms of dryness (by increasing an extra 2mm (so make the sclerals 20mm)... he told me that he would not bother doing that because they would be more difficult to insert. However, if I want them larger, he will arrange it. I guess it depends on how I go with the longer trial wear next week.
    Alex, this optometrist is an expert at scleral lens and has a special interest in treating dry eyes (he suffers from dry eyes himself). He's in Melbourne, his name is Luke Arundel and works at Richard Lindsay & Associates, Ph: (03) 94176444. Want some more good news? These mini-scleral lens cost $700 each There are a few things to fiddle around with like trialling different liquids in the sclerals, for eg: instead of using just saline solution, mix some celluvisc in it, or just fill them with Thera Tears. I'll be doing that because I found whatever Luke put in them today (some greeny flourescent solution, but i could still see 100% clear) felt a bit cold. So it's trial and error. But once you find what works best, this nightmare of dry eyes can be relieved a great deal. I believe drops may still need to be applied over the lens from time to time over the day, depending on how dry you are. I hope this helps.

Please let us all know how you get on.

Comment

Thanks drc for the reply sounds encouraging, any more updates with the sclerals?

Comment

I've added Australia to the subject line so we can find this easily in the future... how great to know there's a good resource for this in Aus. DCR, I'm excited for you. Let us know how the 5hr test goes!

However, did you know many wearers of boston sclerals are 18mm? Rebecca could back me up on this.
        Yup. My lenses are 18.5mm and I think that's a pretty common size for PROSE; I know many with larger lenses. It depends a lot on eye size and how tight your lids are.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

I had to cancel the 5 hour trial of scleral lenses due to a close friend only having days to live (he was supposed to have surgery and they decided he was too weak). I have another appointment for the 5 hour scleral trial on 18 October. I will inform how it goes

Comment

Five hour trial on 18 October was cancelled since I was feeling unwell. The optometrist who fits the sclerals is a 3 hour train trip from here, then having to wear them for 5 hours and return to the clinic - it's a long day. Best done when feeling well. Living so far from the city has it's disadvantages.
            I'll advise and let you all know how I've done when I've made a new appointment. It gets to the stage where you can't be bothered anymore. I'm excited to get sclerals, but also 'over it all' if anyone can see my point.

Comment

So sorry to hear about your friend, DCRdryeye. Life is complex and difficult relying on medical science and the kindness of doctors as we do. Hope, when you are feeling ready, you find good progress with your new scleral lenses. The information you post is so valuable to us all. Looking forward to hearing you are more comfortable. With great respect and good wishes.
              Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Five hour trial of mini-sclerals

Thank-you littlemermaid.

I finally had a mini-scleral lens trial for five hours yesterday. The results were not fantastic. Whilst I easily tolerated them (they were a good fit) I still felt very dry and my worst eye felt very "cold". However, it wasn't "painful" like it would have been wearing nothing at all. So they were no where near as good as my moisture chamber glasses, and better than wearing no glasses. Sort of inbetween. Overall the results were not good enough to spend my money on.
                However, a twist in the story occurred. It turns out the trial lens were only 16.5mm. They didn't have an 18mm trial lens. The good news is I was able to "tolerate" them for five hours, this means my eyes can cope with scleral lenses. So the next strategy is they will order one custom made 18mm lens and keep it in stock as a trial for patients and...I'll return and use that size on my worst eye for a few hours to see if there is any difference in comfort. If there's no difference, or very little relief, we will go wider, perhaps 20mm or 22mm.
                The most important factor here is that my optometrists have vowed never to give up on me. They will work with me and formulate solutions, work with scleral manufacturers in Australia and if needed, go as far as ordering a scleral set from overseas...absolutely whatever it takes!! Just knowing how dedicated and determined they are is a relief in itself.

Comment

Any updates DRC?

Comment

Whoa, sorry for the late response. I should check in more often. Update: Got the left scleral lens fitting very nicely, it's comfortable and I can wear it for many hours. It took two modifications to get it to this stage. I've only just got the right scleral lens, it's having a modification done and will take three weeks.

I am looking forward to wearing both of them simultaneously. I'll still wear moisture chambers, but slowly want to wean off them if I can.

Comment

Originally posted by DCRdryeye View Post
                      Whoa, sorry for the late response. I should check in more often. Update: Got the left scleral lens fitting very nicely, it's comfortable and I can wear it for many hours. It took two modifications to get it to this stage. I've only just got the right scleral lens, it's having a modification done and will take three weeks.

I am looking forward to wearing both of them simultaneously. I'll still wear moisture chambers, but slowly want to wean off them if I can.
                      Whereabouts did you get the sclerals fitted and would you recommend?

Comment

I got them fitted in Melbourne and yes I'd recommend them. My optometrist can find you someone closer to home for scleral lenses (you're in Brisbane?).

Comment

Originally posted by DCRdryeye View Post
                          I got them fitted in Melbourne and yes I'd recommend them. My optometrist can find you someone closer to home for scleral lenses (you're in Brisbane?).
                          Anyone able to recommend somewhere in aus I can get these fitted? Also how do they compare to boston sclerals am I better off just going with them instead?

Comment

It depends if you want to spend up to $15,000. I know a good fitter in Brisbane, "Mark Hinds" at Brunswick Optical since i recall you live north of aust?

Comment

Originally posted by alex123711 View Post
                              Anyone able to recommend somewhere in aus I can get these fitted? Also how do they compare to boston sclerals am I better off just going with them instead?
                              Im currently in the process of getting fitted with a set of sclerals in Melbourne at the moment as well, can let you now how things go. I think the brand of contact is called "Normaleyes", their American.

Comment

Yes I'm also getting fitted with sclerals in Melbourne. I've recently changed optometrists for sclerals since the first optometrist didn't quiet achieve the result or comfort I was looking for. I persisted for 4 yrs, so time to change!! This new optometrist is set up with better equipment and uses topography and OCT to measure the shape of the eyeball. I requested 20mm at least for better coverage and just received a phone call they've arrived. I try them on 14 November since they are booked out till then (in fact, they squeezed me in).
                                I've always believed in sclerals. It's extremely important to prevent evaporation from the eye.

Drutt - I know who you are seeing. Normaleyes is a brand this Melbourne optometrist uses. But can he have them modified for you and tweak them to fit for comfort. The first pair doesn't always fit perfectly. You may-be in for a surprise. I wish I had met you first to lead you in the right direction. But it will be interesting to see how you go with them. He offered my friend a 3 months trial with them and if they didn't work, he would refund his money. My friend refused since the lens were not manufactured in Australia and thus, this may impose a problem. I have already over stepped my boundaries here, if I'm to tell you more it would need to be private.

Comment

Working...
                                X