This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moisture chamber glasses & insurance

Has anybody here ever had luck persuading an insurance company to pay for your eyewear? If so, how?
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Hi Rebecca, Did you imply medical insurance or vision insurance? My medical insurance will not cover any Vision stuff, I have VSP insurance for vision. I explored on this with 2 optical shops on VSP network last year. But have not yet exercised it as they suggested me wait until 2012 to get better coverage from VSP because of some coverage restrictions as I already used lenses benefit for year 2011.

Both these optical shops said VSP does not care what kind of frames or lenses I am getting....they just cover it upto a max $ amount. They ran the numbers and told me that for 2012 Wiley X frames with prescription lenses will cost me $86 ($86 for lenses after VSP covers the max $ amount on it + $72 for frame which is fully covered). 2011 same thing I would have paid $235. The retail cost was $307.

I was thinking of taking the Wiley X frame to Walmart and get the lenses made from there which may be less expensive and submit a claim to VSP.

With insurance, one can not be sure about how much they would actually cover until after the fact.

Am waiting for my eyes to settle somewhat from using Boston Sclerals as I think that may be causing some changes to my vision. I say this because after I started on sclerals I experience that my old glasses are not good enough which used to work fine earlier.
    Last edited by shanku; 20-Jan-2012, 08:53.

Comment

There's some information at the bottom of this page that may be helpful.

http://www.dryeyepain.com/Goggles.htm

Comment

Same as Shanku, IF I was also using the moisture chambers for vision correction, I could use my insurance to pay for part of them. But since my vision is perfect, the insurance company does not have a category for them and they are therefore not covered.

Comment

no coverage

Hi,

I had tried when I first got moisture chambers and insurance would not cover them. Apparently there is no diagnosis and procedure codes. I have not tried since. Considering not much works for me, and it is a medically necessity, it seems like it should be covered.

dryeyes2

Comment

Working...
          X