This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to start the disability process

I have been talking to my eye doctor recently and he is warming up to the idea that my dry eyes qualify as a legitimate disabilty. In other posts you have all seen what I have tried, moisture chambers, sclerals, etc. Nothing seems to cut the pain. Anyway I was wondering how you begin the disabilty process. This is new to me and was curious to know how to get your feet wet. Thanks.
    If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

If you are employed and have health and disability benefits, contact your human resources department and ask what the procedure is to apply for medical disability/retirement. You can also apply for benefits through the Social Security Administration http://www.ssa.gov/disability/

It is a matter of paperwork, doctors reports and someone making a decision as to whether or not your condition qualifies you for disability.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Check your most recent Social Security statement to see if you have enough credits. You need to have worked for long enough and have paid enough into the system to be eligible to be considered for SSDI.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Disability after Lasik

I know your issue is not lasik, but I thought I should ask the question anyways since I'm thinking I may have to go on disability myself after lasik surgery.

Has anybody had any success with a disability claim after lasik induced eye problems? I figure there may be issues as it would be looked at as a self induced problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron77 View Post
          Has anybody had any success with a disability claim after lasik induced eye problems? I figure there may be issues as it would be looked at as a self induced problem.
          I do not believe this is a factor. The questions they're concerned with are not how you got disabled but whether you are and how it affects your ability to work.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

legal representation may be well worth it

SSI Disability benefits are difficult to obtain even when health circumstances strongly support the inability to earn income. Representation in the application and appeal processes, by an attorney or firm with lots of expertise in this area, can, however, significantly increase one's chance of success. Initial outlays for legal representation may seem daunting, but if the alternative is not to qualify for benefits, and face prolonged hardship, if one can beg or borrow the legal fees, this may turn out to be well worth the outlay. In such case, I would definitely go to a practitioner with a great track record in the area. . .State bar associations generally have subcommittees focused on particular specialities, like federal benefits. Rather than pick an attorney based on an ad that claims expertise in SSI, it might be good actually to call the bar subcommittee members in this subject area, to get their take on who is really effective and ethical, in the field...
            <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Very good advice from Rojzen. I am in the middle of this process for my husband right now. We're using a law firm that does nothing but SSDI applications. Other than out of pockets (copying, travel, costs associated with getting medical records etc) there are no fees unless/until there is a payout from SSDI.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
              X