This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy a New Pillow

We often talk on here about allergies causing problems with our eyes, also the need to keep our eyes clean and all that. Change pillow cases at least weekly if not more often etc.

The other day, I was reading about allergies and this doctor told people to throw out their pillow once a year and buy a new one. The dust, dust mites, other allergens etc are just so bad in pillows, he thought this move could prevent a lot of misery. It's just a thought. If you buy inexpensive pillows, and often you can buy two for one prices it doesn't cost a lot. Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

I do the freeze pillow thing - freeze your pillow for 2 days or so and then wash. Should kill the mites then remove them in the wash.

Comment

lol freezing pillows - I have never heard of that but it makes perfect sense!

Still after creeping vaseline , ski goggles and blinking exercises I guess freezing one's pillow is quite a normal thing to be doing!

Thanks for the tip - I can't wait to see my wife's face when I bung my pillow next to the sunday roast

EllMitcho
      The magic gloop IS out there somewhere - right?

Comment

I bought a hypo-allergenic pillow a few months ago at the request of my doctor. I noticed the difference after one night's sleep. The irritation in my right eye (my problem eye, I have blepharitis), was reduced significantly.

These pillows are pretty cheap too, less than 20 bucks with a hypo-allergenic cover at Target.

Comment

Originally posted by EllMitcho View Post

Still after creeping vaseline , ski goggles and blinking exercises I guess freezing one's pillow is quite a normal thing to be doing!

Thanks for the tip - I can't wait to see my wife's face when I bung my pillow next to the sunday roast

EllMitcho

Lol! Thanks for the laugh!

Comment

Originally posted by EllMitcho View Post

EllMitcho
            You're welcome m8 - I don't take any responsibility for any marriage difficulties my tip causes! :P

Comment

I agree with Lucy. Unless you have very specific needs or very high-end tastes, it costs very little to simply purchase new pillows once a year. (Ordinarily, they're not that expensive to begin with. Moreover, stores in my area feature seasonal "white sales" for bedding and towels and such, so I have the pleasure of getting a bargain on new stuff, as well as the potential of doing something good for my eyes and my respiratory system).

Having been diagnosed with asthma ten years ago, I got lots of advice from my pulmonologist and nurse-educator about "allergy-reducing" my bedroom.
              (They didn't use the term "allergy-proofing" because, they said, nobody in ordinary life lives in a totally sterile environment).

At their suggestion, whenever I buy new pillows I also purchase a product called a "Pillow Protector" -- a pillow cover made of a soft washable microfiber which is advertised as follows: "Zippered construction creates a barrier to dust and dust mites." Over the pillow cover I then use a regular pillow case. I bought my most recent pillow protector at the local Wal-Mart, and it wasn't terribly expensive.

I suspect that mflores22 may be referencing a similar product, perhaps even all-in-one as opposed to my pillow+protector system.

Also at my doctor's suggestion, when the time came to buy a new mattress set <Consumer Reports says there's no definite formula, but that a decent new mattress should last ten years or more>, I purchased two counterpart "Mattress Protectors" -- one for the mattress, and one for the box spring. You still have to use regular bedding over them, but the advertising pitch (supported by my doc) is that they "reduce exposure to dust and dust mites . . . while allowing moisture vapor to escape."

And yes, I have definitely been breathing easier ever since I "allergy-reduced" my bedroom.
              (Also -- no fabric curtains, no rugs, only a hardwood floor, and toughest of all -- no cats on the bed, ever!)

Comment

This is a great thread, as I have just found out I have allergies along with the Lasik mess, probably had them the whole time but just didn't feel them.

Throwing out my favorite pillows...it makes sense but oh I love them so much, but it will be making its way to an animal shelter or something this weekend.

Bernadette

Comment

What about washing and then freezing the pillow?

Would be great for hot summer nights or hot flashes! LOL!

Comment

Working...
                  X