This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio Books!! Yay!

Though I am certain that eventually I will be back to reading books again like I used to....my sweet father, in the height of my depression and staying in bed days- sent me an audiobook on CD. I downloaded it onto my ipod and in the next few days I spent 14 blissful hours wrapped up in a mystery. Sometimes the soothing voice helped me fall asleep. After this he sent me a great one called "The Art of Racing in the Rain" a beautiful book narrated by a dog- I relished my time curled up in bed with my pup listening to that book. So, I went onto ITunes to look at other books- there are all sorts- some on the higher price end- over $30 but most around $14. A few days ago I downloaded one for .95 cents- It was almost 7 hours and great. So, if you are an avid reader and want a way to indulge yourself, escape for awhile, and rest your eyes- I suggest audiobooks either on CD or through Itunes

Most excellent!

I have thought about this myself; I just haven't gotten to it as of yet.
    I thought about going to our local library.
    FREE... is good as my husband is unemployed at the moment.

Didn't realize how expensive this dry eye is.....

I got free minidrops this week from Rite Aid through the rebates.
    Every bit helps; although, I didn't especially care for them.

Any little treat we can indulge in with our eyes closed...
    I often wonder what would happen if I went blind from this.
    Sometimes I wish I was.....
    Can't go there....
    pianolady

Comment

The library is a GREAT idea ( =

And, EBAY too, I just found out....there are so many on there for very inexpensive prices.

Please indulge in this, it is worth it....I thought about it for a long time but didn't make the effort until my father sent me one. I am hooked ( =

This site could start a audio book club and trading forum!

Comment

Great idea!

We all need a little escape from this.

I know this is off topic, but keep posting your results for IPL.
        I am considering going to TN this summer as it is closer to MI.

Best wishes....
        pianolady

Comment

Audiobooks are great! I get mine from the local library a couple blocks from my house and just download it into iTunes. We should definitely start an audio book club! I can burn them into CDs and send them to anyone...=)

Comment

That's a great idea!
            pianolady

Comment

I'm in! I also wouldn't mind burning any of mine and we can pass them all around. So far I have the following- and loved them all:

The Art of Racing in the Rain- Garth Stein (right now this one is being borrowed by a friend but I will get it back!) -so far my favorite

I Know this Much is True- Wally Lamb- very deep and touching, I got lost in this one.

The Shack- William P Young- interesting and includes non traditional views on God and the Trinity.

I also have 2 Mary Higgins Clark audio books that were very very interesting!

Lats start a DEZ Book Club ( =

Comment

I'm in.....

Melissa
                pianolady

Comment

Allright...anyone interested in me burning mine for them? I wish I had the Art of Racing in the Rain right now- I'll let you know when I get that one back.....but the others are good too- depending on your taste.
                  I am tempted to buy the Kite Runner today but it is a bit expensive...

Comment

I would be interested. I would love a good book these days.

Melissa
                    pianolady

Comment

Just purchased "Water for Elephants"....I'm loving it so far.....

We should make a CD exchange request list...
                      Last edited by autumnn; 05-May-2009, 09:18.

Comment

I'm definitely interested. To exchange, I have:

"The Lovely Bones" - a young girl who was raped and murdered tells the story from her point of view in heaven of how her friends and family cope with their loss

"Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" - geeky sci-fi book about a man who was saved by his alien friend when the earth was destroyed and basically hitchhikes his way around the universe

"Everyone Worth Knowing" - light and fun beach read. A 20 something year old lands a PR job in Manhatten and gets wrapped up in the social scene that spirals out of control

"The Virgin Suicides"

I'm going to the library soon to borrow more books, so I'll have more to burn for anyone that's interested.

If enough people are interested, we could probably have a separate forum for this.

Comment

Hi All- My boyfriend is working on a way for us to do this without actually having to burn each other the cd's- I am not computer savvy so it is hard to explain. I think all we would need on our computers is winzip (sp?) which can be downloaded for free and then I think we could email our books/files to each other to download onto our Ipods, computers or cd's. I will keep you posted on his progress with this. I just went to the library yesterday- they have so many and for FREE!
                          I got:
                          Shopaholic and Baby- silly and light read
                          Stuffed- memoir about a family in the restaurant business- supposed to be really good
                          Jodi Picoult's 1st novel- cant remember the name
                          Dean Kootz first novel

Fun times.

So far my favorites have been the Art of Racing in the Rain and Water for Elephants.

Check out Itunes though because the one I got for .95 cents- I Know This Much is True was great in my opinion....

Comment

audio books

I just wanted to add my support for the idea of using audio books to augment reading. Although I'm not as dependent on them as I used to be, I still find them an important resource. There are still "bad days" with my eyes, and it helps so much to know that I can just put a "book" in my CD player, put on the headphones, and lie back, listening with my eyes closed. What a lifesaver during my worst times! I'm soooo glad someone shared this idea here and hope that it helps lots of others find a "silver lining" during their dry eye trials.

Comment

For audio books you may want to take a look at the talking book service in your area. These books are free for those who have a print handicap of which I would think dry eyes would fit. I have been using them for years.

Comment

Working...
                              X