X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibuprofen Gel?

Hi All

I have MGD and as is common am locked in a vicious cycle of inflamation causing poor gland function causing inflammation. So it seems inflammation is the enemy (or at least one of them!)

Ibuprofen is used as an anti inflammatory therefore my theory is that the gel used as pain relief (typically for back ache etc) could be used to lessen the inflammation & pain surrounding the eye.

This is only theory please do not try this as it could have disaterous consequences - I just want to see if this idea can be discussed.

So the question is - could a Ibuprofen based gel be used around the eye to reduce inflammation - is there already such a thing?

Thanks

Ellis
    The magic gloop IS out there somewhere - right?

could a Ibuprofen based gel be used around the eye to reduce inflammation
    NO. Even aside from any other reasons, it contains menthol, and you really don't want that in your eye.

Ibuprofen is an NSAID. There are several ophthalmic NSAIDs on the market like Acular. I don't think I've ever heard of NSAIDs being tried successfully for reducing mg or other gland inflammation.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

There is cream called "Aspercreme", which contains Trolamine Salicylate. Acetylsalicylic Acid is aspirin. I would not recommend its use around the eyes, but it is useful to help reduce muscle and joint inflammation.

I sometimes use Aleve or Ibuprofen taken orally, to help reduce eye inflammation. It does seem to help.

I have also used a prescription eye drop called Voltaren to reduce eye inflammation.

Comment

Working...
      X