This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D Avatar beat the *bleep* out of my eyes

Anyone else with DES see the 3D Avatar and suffer all the way through it? My eyes had this pattern of stinging, burning, watering, repeat every 15 minutes through the whole movie. I had tears literally running down my face. As soon as I left the movie it all STOPPED. My husband is usually a little flippant about my dry eye but even he knew I was suffering. He asked several times if I was ok and at one point asked me if I was going to make it through the movie!

I was really surprised....anyone else have this problem with the 3D movie?

I have that problem with ANY movie...or even just being in a movie theater buying tickets.

Comment

i didn't go see this movie bceause it was 3 hours long and didn't want to put my eyes through that

Comment

Yes I was similar
        Stabbing pains and strain.
        It was actually the first time I've been to the cinema in years and the first time I'd ever seen a 3D film.
        I wasnt sure quite what to put it down to, but I certainly dont get such an immediate and severe reaction when watching something in the house.

Comment

I went on a "good" eye day... to prepare for the outing, I stayed home in my humified house that day so as not to stress my eyes, wore goggles all day at home, used cold compresses for an hour prior to leaving for the theatre, used Celluvisc every 1/2 hour during the movie, wore my Wiley's to get from the car to the theatre... we sat in the top row inside the theatre too...

With all of that, my eyes came out not too badly... used cold compresses again when we got home though to refresh my eyes again.

It was worth it though because I thought that movie was amazing!!

I'm sorry to hear you guys had such pain and discomfort from the movie... that sucks!!

Comment

I need to ask something that "may" sound stupid----did all of you guys wear the 3D glasses?

My hubby and I went to the movie even though I "knew" I wouldn't like it. I did like it!!! They charged us $3 each for 3d glasses. I knew we'd never use them again, plus I have some at home.

I saw them with just my regular glasses and the movie was very fuzzy. At times I wondered what was the 3-D effect and what was my post-Lasik fuzzy, blurry vision? It didn't matter as I enjoyed the movie and even without the 3D glasses--I saw at least some of the effects.

I had my bottle of tears with me and dropped several times during the two and 1/2 hour movie. Lucy
            Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I don't believe in this 3D thing. It's just plain weird to try to make our eyes experience that, especially without the accompanying gravitational forces. It's just going to cause a lot of people to feel very dizzy too.

I'm simply going to watch the Blu-Ray when it comes out and never care about what this 3D version might or might not look like.

Comment

Well, as I said, it was the first time I'd ever seen the 3D effect and I thought it utterly marvellous.

I kept taking the glasses off to either add drops, rub my temples, or just flick between having them on and off very quickly to see the difference.

So lucy, the answer is that you are right and dont have to worry about your eyes getting worse, as the 3D effect does look incredibly blurry without the glasses. Oh and with regards to your pair of 3D glasses at home - they may not have worked. It turns out that there are competing technologies for 3D, and the glasses that you get for this film wont work with any of the other 3D things I've tried viewing.

Comment

I loved the 3D effect... it made it seem as if I was actually right there with the characters... very cool!

And same here, without the 3D glasses the movie looked very fuzzy.

Comment

the movie looks fuzzy without the 3d because i believe the images on the screen aren't in line with eachother which creates the 3d effect when you put the glasses on. i noticed this too when i saw a spongebob thing at noah's ark waterpark and the screen looked off without the glasses on

Comment

The movie did look fuzzy (and funny) without the 3d glasses. I have heard high praise from people about the 3d with the glasses. I still liked the movie and I usually don't like this type of film. I understood this one.
                      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Has anyone seen Alice in Wonderland?Any problems with eyes? Any explanation why would 3D hurt the eyes so much? It is a new movie, also 3D. I would like to see this one.

I did not have the courage to expose my eyes to Avatar, and i feel sorry I am not brave enough to see it.

Thanks,
                        Dani

Comment

i really liked the movie, but my eyes felt kinda of strained and sore afterwards, won't be running towards another 3D movie anytime soon

Comment

Apparently my DES is very mild.

The movie didn't bother me at all.
                            Sometimes, when I watch movies, maybe once or twice my eyes may feel slightly dry. I rub them and they're ok after that.

Back in 2006, when I was 4 months post-Lasik, well that was a different story. I went to a symposium, with lots of graphics on a big screen projector. After a few hours, my eyes were burning. I had to go home early.

Is 3D a gimmick? Um, it may be.
                            3D adds another dimension to movies. It must be used and considered carefully, the same way that color changed movies.

I've seen Avatar 3 times because I'm a geek!

Comment

Working...
                            X