What takes the hurt away?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What takes the hurt away?

Just wondering if anything is out there that just soothes your eyes when they sting. Yesterday, my eyes hurt and stung all day. Even w/ Genteal gel, Similan, and a few other things, they weren't especially dry just uncomfortable. Is there like a heating pad for eyes?

Originally posted by sparrow
    Is there like a heating pad for eyes?
    You should be very careful with any heating devices on the eye, but as long as you take care with temperatures heat treatment can be both soothing and have a therapeutic effect by improving meibomian gland secretions. Some methods for heat:
    - Hot washcloth
    - Rice baggy (use very thin cloth or a stocking for the bag) in the microwave (test carefully before putting on eyes). This is a favorite as it retains heat for quite a long time, it conforms to the eyes, and it distributes heat effectively.
    - Specialized devices. There is one called EyeFeel that is self-heating, but unfortunately it's not on the market in the US yet. Dr. Latkany in New York (he has a big dry eye practice there) has a microwaveable one at www.deepbluesee.net. (warning, I think that the online store there may not be fully functional yet but is supposed to be soon).

Other patients report using cold packs helps soothe their eyes on bad pain days.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Sparrow, you have asked the million dollar question. I find taking a long walk in the rain or a hot shower to be the most soothing. Neither is always convenient, but it does give me an hour or so of relief when nothing else will. Have you talked with your eye doctor about it?
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Oh, one more thought. Don't know why I always seem to forget to mention the one thing that I do so regularly: Saline rinses. Unisol is cheap (about $7.50 for three bottles) and unpreserved. I love squirting it on my eyes when they're sore or burning, particularly early in the morning or late at night.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Showers and Saline: comments

The moisture is good, but remember, there is chorine in the water. This always made my eyes burn more.

Saline (Unisol): yes, it does feel good. For myself, though--I think I was "addicted" to using it--for years--more than 10 years, in fact. You really have to be careful not to overuse, because it thins the tear layer, and dilutes the lipid layer, so after the moisture dries up, your eyes feel worse.

I find that using something oily (like Soothe), then gel, plus hot compresses helps.

Check for environmental contamination: soaps, perfumes, incense, air freshener sprays, diesel fumes, smog, eye makeup, lotions, and pollen, etc. The saline rinse can really help wash these out of the eye (plus all the irritating reactive proteins that the eyes make when irritated).

C

Comment

I use a heating pad sometimes with a damp washcloth over my eyes. The rice bag is still the best method, however. When I'm in a hotel, for example, the heating pad is more convenient.
            Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

The moisture is good, but remember, there is chorine in the water. This always made my eyes burn more.
              Calli, I had to stop and think on that. I didn't see anyone mention swimming. Chlorine. Duh!~ I have well water, so there is no chlorine in that. It just took me a minute to figure it out.

I want to add something. I go to water aerobics a couple of times a week. The pool is ultra-warm. The warm moisture in the air from the water is comforting to me.
              Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Thanks for the info

Thanks everyone who responded. I like some of the products over at the deepbluesee.net especially the microwavable eye pads and the eye gel pads, I think both will be helpful. At least I didn't have a problem w/ redness today, that's been an issue. There's just a continual kind of discomfort that feels like it needs a warm, moist compress or gel to soothe. So hopefully it's out there somewhere.

Comment

My wife and I got a pretty sweet deal on gym membership last year. About 15 miles from home is one that has both sauna and steam bath. A gallon of water and about 45 minutes in the steam bath buys me a brief spell of blessed relief.

Sometimes comfort is measured in minutes ... not hours or days

Comment

For burning eyes, I have found that the simalese eye drops for allergies helps me a lot. Even when I don't seem to have allergies. And a warm compress and shutting my eyes for 15 minutes or longer (as time permits) can also do wonders.

Comment

Similasan Eyedrops

The Similasan website: http://www.healthyrelief.com/index.cfm
                      Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

Can't forget.

I must mention my wonderful gel icepacks. I love 'em and somehow wish I could create that feeling while being mobile. Well, I can be mobile, I guess, just can't see anything with a gelpack strapped to your face.
                        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

One other thing that helps me when I have the burning and stinging is washing my eyelids off with a mixture baby shampoo and water. I just shut my eyes and gently wash the eyelids. I don't know why.....I rarely wear make-up ....but it often helps a lot.

Comment

definately a hot shower helps me.... also, putting in drops and then closing my eyes for a few minutes seems to help.

also, this may sound kind of weird, but i find that if i just close my eyes and picture a beautiful, relaxing place in my head, thinking to myself of ways to describe it, for some reason it takes my mind off the pain and gets rid of the burning faster. i usually picture a misty rainforest haha (anything that includes moisture is a plus!)
                            -Amy

Comment

Working...
                            X