This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Both eyes ache near vision tasks

I used to work on computers before two years ago for 6-8 hours a day with no eye aches. Ever since I started working as a web designer no matter how long I'm on the computer my eyes ache. It starts out low and builds up gradually. Some days are better than others. The ache is felt in the front part of the eye near the inner region. I've done all of the conventional treatment to fix this condition so thats why I'm posting on this board to see if anyone has an idea of what could be causing this. I don't think it's just computer eye strain because this can be debilitating aching. I've had computer eye strain before but this feels like my eyes are extremely overworked. Other guys at work can stare at the screen for 8-10 hours with little to no eyestrain (i've asked them) but after 2-3 hours my eyes start to ache and gets progressively worse. Anybody have any ideas on how to alleviate this problem and what sort of condition you think it may be?

i'm studying computer science and both for university study and my own projects i find myself coding away at home at all hours. yeah i know what you mean how you can remember what good old eye strain felt like, and how this is different. i'm still fairly confused about it myself but i think it's most likely.. just simply not blinking enough. i find tasks on the computer requiring prolonged concentration stop my usual blinking frequency. mostly without me noticing and sometimes i do notice, but in a moment of defiance i always push myself to keep them open for a more *normal* amount of time to get the immediate little task done.

if you think this is relevant, i suggest really training yourself to blink more frequently when you're on the computer. it sounds easy enough, but i'm still working on it, haha. also, have your usual pain remedy handy.. refridgerated eye drops, etc. whatever is a quick and simple method of making your eyes feel a bit recovered temporarily. or you could even be a bit sly like me and occasionally hit the pre-emptive painkillers ahead of long hours of computer use haha.

Comment

Just a *simple* suggestion for you guys, when you are really bad, try lying down --or sitting--whatever--close your eyes and put a cold washcloth over them for 10 min or as long as you can.

Even better, buy a couple of small blue gel icepacks (these are soft) and wrap one kept in the freezer in a washcloth and put over your eyes. I used to do this all the time when I was working with "fire eyes." Breaks and lunch I would find a quiet place, even my car, and do this. It doesn't solve anything but giving yourself a few breaks during the day can help a lot. Good luck. Lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

hey guys

i definitely know i blink enough because i concentrate on that every day. i'm really starting to think it may be a migraine issue or something. i've had instances of terrible headaches in the past that were so debilitating i couldn't open my eyes without viscious pain. its very odd because i'm doing everything right here... i do all of the methods of taking care of my eyes including vitamins, eye exercises for 20 minutes every day, resting my eyes, using eye drops, etc and i have problems with eye aches and dryness every single day. other people i know can go 10 hours on the computer without doing any of these things and have no problems (i've asked them). i know all people are different but i'm comparing these symptoms to myself only a few years ago. 2 years ago i worked on the computer/played on the computer almost as much as i do now and didn't have any problems. ever since i started at a job doing this i've had issues. anybody have a clue what could be causing this? could it be psychological or a hidden condition that isn't necessarily seen on the surface? the problem is as soon as you mention eye ache and say you use computers most people think it's just the computer causing it but today i didn't use computers at all and i had eye aches all day long (that progressively turned into an eye "headache").

Comment

dgreen97

I have the same symptons has yourself and have been off work for 7 months.
          I finally found out yesterday that my eyes dont converge properly and I see double when you bring your finger towards your eyes.

I have had severe headaches everday for the first 3 months.

Check my post

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...ed=1#post53191

Comment

Dryness is only one possible explanation and given the headache issues I wonder if it's related or not. If it were me I'd get to a really good optometrist to get checked out and ask them if you could get a binocular vision workup in case there's any say convergence type issues lurking. I might be totally barking up the wrong tree, just suggesting what I would do in your shoes.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Hi Rebecca,

I know this post is a little old but the same problem still lurks. I went to the opthamologist about 2 weeks ago and he said there isn't no inherent problems with my eyes. I told him all the problems I was having with eye aches with near vision work especially the computer but he still said I don't have any problems with convergence or accommodation. I find this hard to believe since I've had the same aching problems for over 2 years now. I do everything I can ergonomically with the computer to prevent eye strain. I take frequent breaks (every 7 minutes for around 20 seconds) to rest my eyes including my lunch break. I exercise my eyes every day doing divergence exercises now (i was doing convergence exercises before but i didn't see a benefit and it seemed to make my eyes hurt more). I do have a slight astigmatism in my left eye (and a slight farsightedness) but I also asked the doctor about this and he didn't believe it would cause the aching I'm describing. I would describe the aching similar to your leg aching after doing running for a long time and you weren't used to it. It's as if my eyes aren't strong enough to hold the position of staring at a computer screen or reading.

One thing he did say is that when he covers up one of my eyes the other eye drifts out slightly. I believe he said this was normal but it does prove that my eyes drift out at least somewhat. I'm trying to figure out what else I can do to alleviate this problem because every day now I have to deal with constant eye aches at the computer. It's become a chronic pain problem. Let me know what you think.

Thanks Alex

Comment

eye pain after IPL

I have the similar eye pain. I try to figure out the problem and find a relation between dry eyes and pain. This is easy way to ask people with refractive errors especially astigmatism to describe pain without eye glasses. They have severe pain if they are not using their glasses. I have different refiraction errors in both eyes. It happens suddenly after IPL lights come to my eyes. Left eye -0.50 miopia, right eye -1.25 miopia and -0.75 astigmatism. I feel differences between both eyes. Even I have normal vision when I close to objects like reading, computer using; these tasks need much more energy. Eyes try to fix the vision in both eyes so they work so much and finally it leads to eye strain,fatigue and terrible pain. This is my hypothesis about eye pain and I will buy a pair of eye glasses tomorrow and I will write if it is OK or not. My hope is to be OK. God helps all of us

Comment

hi -

one possible thing of help would be to get your optometrist to make a pair of computer glasses. basically, i think it's half the distance on top and half the reading on the bottom -- or something like that. I'm not sure exactly how they make it -- but, the point is that the focusing point is for about 2 feet out - so you can see your computer. helps reduce eyestrain. actually - you could get them to set the distance to whatever you want -- my optometrist has worked with musicians whom want their glasses to have the total distance to be towards the sheet music, etc -- so, it might take some playing around - but, if you can't find a cause for your eye strain - this might be of help.

i do agree with Rebecca's comment earlier though -- and, i would add to see an optometrist whom specializes in vision therapy - she could do analysis for horiz & vert convergence problems.

also - if you saw a neuro ophth- you should have him rule out 4th nerve palsies and the like --

hope that helps
                  Scot

Comment

Working...
                  X