This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do eyes hurt in stores?

I just noticed that on this list there is actually a mention of eyes hurting in walmart. I've noticed this in stores like target, walmart, or any other big store where my eyes feel worse when I go in. Anybody know why this is? Is it because of the air conditioning and the ventilation or what? Obviously it happens to other people as well if it's on this list.

# Your eyes are always uncomfortable out of doors in the wind.
    # You have stopped doing certain outdoors activities because your eyes just hurt too much.
    # Your eyes are always uncomfortable in stores like Wal-Mart.
    # You have a really hard time working in an office environment because of the low humidity, heat or a/c and fluorescent lighting.
    # Your eyes are very sensitive to light - sunlight, bright fluorescent lighting like in airports and warehouse type stores, etc.
    # You don't read for pleasure anymore because of dry eye.
    # Your eyes hurt a lot when driving because of dry eye.
    # You have severe chronic dry eye from any cause and it is affecting your quality of life.
    # You suffer from recurrent corneal erosions.
    # You have eyelid abnormalities preventing complete lid closure with every blink.

Combination of lighting and ventilation I believe. If I'm not wearing Panoptx I have to cover my eyes with my hands when I walk through those darned blowing machines at the entrance to Walmart. And that's with my sclerals in! Wish I could avoid the place altogether but there are certain things I can't get somewhere else.

For me any big store with that type of lighting does it... also airports. But Walmart definitely is the worst.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

For me, the worst store is Home Depot. They have those lights, (maybe mercury vapor?) that cast a weirdish tint. Combine those lights with the air blowing and its a recipe for disaster for me. I was in the store one day for 10 minutes just trying to quickly pick up a gallon of paint and had a corneal erosion.

Comment

I agree about the Home Depot. The lumber and plywood "outgas" fumes from glues and resins---that section is really bad for me.

Fabric stores: the material gives off volatiles from sizing chemical (like starch) which really burns.

Walmart---Ick! Now that they have Subway fast-food in-store, there's always a sickening smell of their "homemade" dough wafting around the whole store. It smells like amoxycillin to me---isn't that weird? One sniff and I'm remembering that pink medicine.

I think part of the problem comes from product and packaging "fumes"---large quantities of treated cardboard, rubber, plastics, etc. There may be pesticides, floor cleaning products, floor waxes, too---air-borne volatiles and particles constantly moving on a steady, drying breeze.

C

Comment

Working...
        X