This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? about 3 New Treatments for Neuropathic Corneal Pain at BFS

Because I have taken part in the neuropathic pain study in the past, Dr. Rosenthal has invited me to return to explore 3 different methods of reducing the eye pain and photosensitivity. I just wanted to know if anyone has had experience with any of these treamtments.

1) Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation (tDCS)- weak electrical current sent to brain

2) MC5-A Pain Scrambler- hope to alter the pain signals to the brain

3) Naltrexone eye drops for PROSE- hope to help speed recovery of sensitized corneal nerves

Any input would be appreciated.
    Reg
    FOR WE WALK BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT (2 Corinthians 5:7).

I've not had any experience with them, but I'm very interested in the studies of the treatments. Keep us posted. Good luck! I'd certainly like to try the treatments, I've only been dealing with this for a bit over a year, and I am in so much pain, and so tired of it all.

Maria

Comment

Hi Reggie,

I believe someone has posted something about their experience with Dr. Rosenthals' pain scrambler (over the summer). I have not heard of other two treatments, but would love to know about their effectiveness.

Does wearing the PROSE lens provide some relief from dry eye pain? Are the treatments directed towards lasik nerve pain? Just wondering . . . if the treatments are for dry eye pain, would symptoms not return if underlying cause of dry eye is not addressed?

Comment

Yes, for me the PROSE is extremely helpful in dealing with dry eye pain and photophobia (non lasik, some dr's have said MGD, Dr. Rosenthal believes it's neuropathic). I've been wearing them since 2006 and wouldn't be able to live without them. I still have some issues with photosensitivity and Dr. Rosenthal thinks it might help me. To answer your question, with tDCS and the pain scrambler, I believe the treatment would have to be ongoing in order for you to receive the benefits of the treatments.
        FOR WE WALK BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT (2 Corinthians 5:7).

Comment

Look for a member called socratese. He tried the pain scrambler but it only helped him for (I think) a week. He's really been doing some research for those of us with neuralgia but he hasn't been on since I discovered his posts. I believe the prose with the Naltrexone drops would only help if you've only been suffering for a short amount of time. I've had this for 7 years.

Comment

Neuropathic Pain

I don't check the boards too often (too depressing for me and I don't want to be depressing for others) so if you have questions it may take me a bit to reply.

I've been seeing Dr. Rosenthal 1-2x a week for many months now. I haven't tried the pain scrambler, but I have tried a Fisher Wallace TENS machine, naltrexone drops (without prose, my eyes cannot tolerate them) and now a newer LED/laser treatment. The TENS machine may have been slightly effective, but not reliable as my pain wavers considerably. The naltrexone drops did zero for me and thus far the LED treatment has been inconclusive (too new, but the results don't seem promising for me thus far). I don't want to dash hopes for others, but this has been my experience. I've been in debilitating pain for 2 years now, I get how much everyone wishes it would just end.

I do think very highly of Dr.Rosenthal though, he cares and is continuously looking for new ways to treat the neuropathy. He mentioned awhile back that he's looking into ketamine for future potential treatments. I'll be sure to post if anything helps.

Comment

Working...
            X