This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• burning stinging

Help. Does anyone know of anything that helps with the buning/stinging?
    Thanks

following application of medication (Restasis, Azesite (sp), etc) or in general?

If it's general stinging / burning, it's due to dryness. Application of preservative free drops should help. Put drops in and close eyes for 2 minutes (I use a timer) and see if that helps. Depending on how badly your eyes are burning, you may need to do this more than once to fully moisturize your eyes.

Following medication, you may need to wait 15 minutes or longer, depending on what your doctor / drug insert says. I try to wait at least 15 minutes with anything. If it's consistent burning, it may be possible that you have a sensitivity or allergy to the drug. If it's periodic, you may just be experiencing more dryness than usual and it may help to use moisturizing drops 15-20 minutes prior to application. If it's consistent, talk to your doctor about it. I had increasing burning after using Restasis and it turned out that I have an issue with the carrier, castor oil. I now use compounded Restasis that doesn't contain the castor oil, which has helped immensely.

Comment

Thanks for the help. It's general as no Restasis or Azasite in the uk!

Comment

rp123, Just for info, people are getting cyclosporine through the main teaching hospitals now as a steroid-sparing agent for chronic surface inflammation. It is definitely supplied by Moorfields Pharmaceuticals and I think your ophthalmologist would just order it through the NHS. Haven't yet tried to order it on GP prescription through pharmacies, but presumably the same applies should they wish to make the effort. The Restasis formulation (cyclosporine 0.05%) is not yet authorised in UK, and the formulation we have from Moorfields is a vet product ('Optimmune is a white petrolatum-based ointment for ophthalmic use, containing 0.2% w/w ciclosporin A, maize oil and lanolin alcohol') so we are trying to access proper Restasis Restasis in the UK thread. It's a similar story with accessing azithromycin, I have talked to people who have it through Moorfields, but I don't know if it's the Azasite formulation. I'm not rushing to try it because we have other antibacterials.
        Last edited by littlemermaid; 23-Dec-2011, 15:43.
        Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Working...
        X