This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible viral conjuctivitis now.

Have just had an upper respiratory infection, and still feel rotten.
    However, low and behold my eyes have just gotten a lot worse and the grittiness and sharp pains are at a new level! I think it may well be a case of the typical viral conjuctivitis which is common with a URI. Or of course it could be that they have decided to get even worse. I also suspect that even without the presence of viral con, the conjuctiva can actually swell a bit with any virus, I think I read this somewhere but cannot remember where exactly.
    Does anyone have any experience of exacibation when suffering or recovering from a virus? I think that something similiar happened a few years ago to me, but it did not feel this bad, but then again over the years my corneas have gotten worse anyhow.
    Hope the new year is treating you well.
    Lulu x

Since last Spring, I have gotten at least 4-5 episodes of bacterial conjunctivitis (pink eye) each time I or someone in my family has a cold. I have never had this happen before. I have had dry eye for about 2 and a half years. My eye doctor says he thinks my immune system is totally overwhelmed since I have a 2 year old who gets a ton of colds, ear infections, and is always putting everything in his mouth. Once he gets sick, efveryone gets it. Our whole family always seems to have a cold.

I am currently on a maintenance program of azasite one time a week to try to prevent any more infections. Last week I had a cold and did not get pink eye. This is the first time since last Spring that this has happened and I am so excited.

It was difficult for me to tell during the day when i had conjunctivitis ( my eyes are often irritated and a little pink from dryeye) but in the morning my eyes had gunk and crust on them -- that's how I could tell. What are your eyes like in the morning?

Comment

Hi Tearless
      THere is not much difference to the sensation all day long really, so not worse or better in the morning. I use cyclosporin ointment on them at night so have to wash it off with warm water so they are soothed for about half an hour anyway. I noticed that they watered quite noticibly whilst the virus was at its worse, which is not usual for me. I dont think mine is bacterial as I do not have any exudate from them, although I noticed a couple of small drops on the end of the lashes on my right eye, so I dont know exactly. They are very irritated with a constant feel of something in them, particularly worse in the right eye. That eye has the remaining lower plug which I backed out of getting removed but which I know will have cauterised, had to be done sooner or later.
      It feels as though my eyeball is pressing more which would tie in with the swollen conjuctiva. It is practically impossible to not notice the blasted things and It is really annoying(more than normal). I am going to see my opthomologist next week anyway, so i will ask him for his opinion, (for what its worth!!!!!!). If its viral there is nothing I can do about it anyhow, but if it is bacterial like yours, I could take some antibiotics I guess.
      Glad you have found somthing that has helped stave yours off. It is difficult to tell sometimes what is going on if you are in constant discomfort, but it does feel that bit more problematic and with the watering, not like the reflex sort , does make me suspiscious.
      Thanks for taking the time to reply.
      Lulu x

Comment

Painful flares following URI-associated conjunctivitis

Hi Lulu,
        I think that your observations and commentary are right on. I have long standing DED, probably involving MGD, AD and possibly mucin deficiency, managed by a variety of interventions. I've experienced three major painful flares following URI-associated conjunctivitis. Two flares lasted a little over a month, the third lasted about six months. Each developed during an exudative pink eye that occurred while recovering a from flu-like URI.
        A while back, (over a year ago?) there were some other posts in the forums by people with similar experiences--sorry, I can't locate them now.
        I searched medical literature for info on this process and found nothing. I consulted four ophthalmologists and one optometrist and also took advantage of one of the online "ask the eye dr. a question" sites. Responses ranged from "could be MGD, AD or goblet cell loss", to "you don't have dry eyes" to "restasis", "steroids", "NSAID", "tobradex" and "no rx required".
        You and I and others are experiencing a valid and disabling clinical syndrome. Not only are effective evaluation and treatment needed, but learning more about this process could aid in understanding the pathology of dry eye pain. I wish you and fellow sufferers the very best and hope that Painful Dry Eye flares following URI-associated conjunctivitis attracts the attention of some of our talented investigators.

Comment

Working...
        X