Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm new here and have a question about pain...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm new here and have a question about pain...

I want you all to know that it looks like you have a really great group of people here. I've lurked a little and thought I would bring this question to all of you.

I have been diagnosed with UCTD with suspicions of Lupus/Sjogrens but I am also being watched for MS because I have 3 lesions on my brain.

Anyway, I do have dry eyes, although that is not my biggest complaint. Yes, I have experienced the burning pain, the grittiness, and other symptoms, but a recent complaint I have (past 6 months) is the occasional very sharp pain in my eyes. It will happen in either eye and when it happens it feels as if I have sharp glass in my eye only for a second and goes away really quickly.

It may happen several times in one day or it may happen one time every once and a while. The pain is very intense and sharp and fortunately lasts just for a second. My vision is not affected although it forces me to shut my eyes tight for a couple of seconds.

I asked my eye doctor about it and he said it is just a sx of dry eye. If that's all it is, fine I can live with it. But I have been searching this site and others and I have not seen mention of this type of sharp pain.

Can you all tell me if this is common with dry eyes?

Thank you all in advance!
    JosieSue

Is it a stinging type of pain? I experience both burning and episodes of stinging. The stinging hits when my eyes are especially dry or irritated, like after using Restasis! Just sitting here typing I am having some stinging that makes me need to close my eyes for a quick sec.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Welcome to Dry Eye Talk, JosieSue!

I occasionally get a sharp stabbing pain like what you're describing. I wouldn't have connected it to dry eye except that there didn't seem to be any other explanation and it's usually in my worst eye. Also, I've heard a few other patients mention that kind of pain from time to time.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Thank you for your replies!

I would say it is not a stinging sensation because I have that from time to time as well. It feels like something sharp, like glass in my eye. Like I said, I am very fortunate that it is only for a brief second because it takes my breath away.

I use over the counter eye drops and gel for my eyes (I like Genteal). It hasn't gotten severe enough for me to go on presciption or to have plugs put in. I suppose if these little episodes get any more frequent then I will certainly have to consider another treatment.

Thank you again!
        Josie

Comment

Burning Stabbing, Piercing like glass on eye

Originally posted by JosieSue View Post
          I want you all to know that it looks like you have a really great group of people here. I've lurked a little and thought I would bring this question to all of you.

I have been diagnosed with UCTD with suspicions of Lupus/Sjogrens but I am also being watched for MS because I have 3 lesions on my brain.

Anyway, I do have dry eyes, although that is not my biggest complaint. Yes, I have experienced the burning pain, the grittiness, and other symptoms, but a recent complaint I have (past 6 months) is the occasional very sharp pain in my eyes. It will happen in either eye and when it happens it feels as if I have sharp glass in my eye only for a second and goes away really quickly.

It may happen several times in one day or it may happen one time every once and a while. The pain is very intense and sharp and fortunately lasts just for a second. My vision is not affected although it forces me to shut my eyes tight for a couple of seconds.

I asked my eye doctor about it and he said it is just a sx of dry eye. If that's all it is, fine I can live with it. But I have been searching this site and others and I have not seen mention of this type of sharp pain.

Can you all tell me if this is common with dry eyes?

Thank you all in advance!
          JosieSue
          I have also experienced this pain your referring to for the past 8 mos. I am not able to work or enjoy anything that i love to do. I've been to 6 ophtamologist and they just look at me like I'm out of my mind I live in New Hampshire and I go into Boston but I really am not finding much help. Recently they put me on Doxycline for the inflammation I find it makes a small difference. I use flaxseed oil fish oil, HydoEye. Cold compresses every nite. For Drops I use Systane and GenTeal Gel at nite. Please write me I need support.
          Debo

Comment

Sharp Stabbing Pain

Hi Josie,
            I am not sure your still on the dry eye zone but if you are please reply to me I have been experiencing everything you have. I if your still involved with the page I will tellyou about my experiences.
            Debo

Comment

Working...
            X