This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This whole thing is making me crazy!

Hi everyone, This eye pain is making making me crazy. So is the different opinions of different dr.'s I first went to see Dr. McDonald with OCLI she's on Long Island. She has a very impressive background if you google her. She's no slouch. She had me on all kinds of meds. I went for a 2nd opinion with Dr. Latkany he disagreed with some of her findings. She said I had occular rosacea/blepharitis and dry eye off the charts. The last meds she had me on was restasis, azasite, and lotramax. Had to stop lotramax killing my eyes. I have been on azasite for a little over a month, restasis less than a week. I saw Dr. latkany yesterday he said restasis may possibly work for you but stop it and everything else right now and use patanol with warm water soaks. He also said I don't have dry eye just occular rosasea. He also wants me to get allergy tested and see me back in June. My eyes are killing me patanol not helping. I'm back to square one. I don't know what to do. I'm ready to go back on the restasis. I actually also have an appointment with a chinese md who does accupuncture in 2 days. I'm getting desperate now. I've had this since nov. I also cannot wear any make up anymore like I usually did. This whole thing stinks. I just put some FML in my eyes that I had from a while ago and it made it feel a lot better.

Hi - I just replied to your post on the other page about your visit w/Dr. Latkany. I've been using Restatis for years & really don't think it helps & it always burns a little & makes my eyes redder for a while so I'm looking forward to going off it in a few days (he told me to stop using it in 2 weeks). I had the same problem w/the Lotemax killing my eyes although I loved it when I first used it a year ago. I also liked the Azasite when I was having a really bad few days, but Dr. Latkany said there have been studies & there's no proof that it works & that people taking a placebo had the same results; he clearly doesn't believe in this drop.

He told me to only use the FML once every 2 weeks & only if I really needed to. I've had 3 really bad days in a row & totally understand how you feel. I've been feeling this way on & off for over a year. It's very depressing & has ruined my quality of life. Dr. Latkany said he could definitely make me feel better so we'll see when I go back in a few weeks.

By the way, try wearing hypoallergenic make-up (Almay & Clinique are). I HAVE to wear make-up due to the red rimmed eyes & dark circles.

You should probably keep using the Patanol unless you call him & ask if you can stop. I want to believe he's the authority on dry eyes since it's ALL he does but I guess it's still just his opinion. VERY FRUSTRATING!!!

Comment

Hi Thanks for you response, dry eyes! My eyes are completely out of control right now. Its so hard to deal with this. I just used fml and it feels quite a bit better. Are you diagnosed with dry eye? He said I didn't have really dry eyes, mine is occular Rosacea. I just bought some clinique foundation and concealer. I am dying to wear mascara but forget it. If my eyes hurt without it there is no way I can wear it. He prescribed patanol but he told me that I really don't have to use the patanol right now till allergy season. I used it anyway, no luck. He said just do warm water soaks and some cold water soaks. I was so desparate that I used the FML ointment a little while ago. Maybe he didn't think my eyes looked that bad because I was on the restasis? The restasis did burn but my lids weren't as inflamed as like now and was only on it for 6 days. He said it may work for me but to stop using it right now. He doesn't want to see me till June? I don't know what I'm going to do. He also wanted me to get tested for allergies too which I am going to do. Thanks!

Comment

Hi Lisa, incredibly frustrating that is for sure!

How do you feel otherwise? Do you have lots of energy, eat well and generally feel ok?

Agree with others, I don't think Restasis is the answer at all. Period.
        Jamie

Comment

I really feel that when a person is in the crazy-pain stage the best relief is with moisture chambers (and less drops/gels/ointments i.e., chemicals with or without preservatives). Please see this post for Rebecca's guide: http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...shopping-guide

Are your symptoms worse in the morning (typical of MGD and ocular rosacea)? If so, it is very important to cover/seal your eyes at night too. This can be done with Glad Press N Seal, micropore tape, or goggles like Tranquileyes or Onyix.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by spmcc View Post
            I really feel that when a person is in the crazy-pain stage the best relief is with moisture chambers (and less drops/gels/ointments i.e., chemicals with or without preservatives). Please see this post for Rebecca's guide: http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...shopping-guide

Are your symptoms worse in the morning (typical of MGD and ocular rosacea)? If so, it is very important to cover/seal your eyes at night too. This can be done with Glad Press N Seal, micropore tape, or goggles like Tranquileyes or Onyix.

Good luck.
            Hi Thanks, yes maybe I'll try this. My eyes are hurting all day. But I do wake up with very dry inflamed eyes. How do you use the glad press and seal? I have that at home. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by jads View Post
              Hi Lisa, incredibly frustrating that is for sure!

How do you feel otherwise? Do you have lots of energy, eat well and generally feel ok?

Agree with others, I don't think Restasis is the answer at all. Period.
              Hi Jamie, Thanks for your support. I am feeling depressed about quite a few things that are going on in my life including my eyes, but otherwise I am a healthy person. I exercise a lot. I am a personal trainer and a fitness instructor so I work out a lot, prob too much.

Comment

Glad Press N Seal

To use Glad Press N Seal - cut/tear a piece of the wrap that will fit across your eye (maybe 1"x2"). Apply drops. Close your eye and press the seal down.

Be careful that the drops that you are sealing on your eyes are not an additional irritant. Use preservative-free drops or Muro drops.

Comment

Hi - If you read about ocular rosacea, the main symptom IS dry eyes so you DO still have dry eyes, it's just that the cause of your dry eyes is ocular rosacea (that's how Dr. Latkany explained it to me). My eyes feel a tiny bit better today but they are still really red. I have a cold now too which isn't helping. I wonder why he told me to stop w/the warm compresses (b/c they would make my eyes redder) & switch to a cold one but not tell you the same thing & why he doesn't want to see you until June? Oh well; I'm not a dr!

Maybe you should call him & let him know how much pain you're in. Maybe he'll prescribe an antibiotic which seems to help people w/ocular rosacea.

Comment

Lisa, you are welcome. Being a trainer is a plus that's for sure. i.e. you know how to keep healthy!

I'm sending you a PM with some more info that could well be helpful.
                    Jamie

Comment

Originally posted by spmcc View Post
                      To use Glad Press N Seal - cut/tear a piece of the wrap that will fit across your eye (maybe 1"x2"). Apply drops. Close your eye and press the seal down.

Be careful that the drops that you are sealing on your eyes are not an additional irritant. Use preservative-free drops or Muro drops.
                      Hi Thanks for your reply! I just bought thera tears preservative free. What do you think of those? I haven't seen Muro though in CVS.

Comment

Working...
                      X