This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Eyes any tips for managing them past the pain in the evening please

Hello I'm from England. I am new to Dry Eyes, triggered after cataract surgery last October, ( also blepharitis ) I'm using Celluvisc 0.5% & 1% plus warm compresses to keep me going ( and sane) through the day, but by 8pm I cant take the pain any more and head for bed and the eye gel. Does anyone out there have a routein that gets you past the pain barrier and able to go on for a couple of more hours please? Any help would be appreciated to get my evenings back. Thank you.
    ( also if there is anyone from England who can point me in the direct of where to get suitable protective eyewear that doesnt cost a fortune that would be appreciated ) thankyou.

Moisture chambers... cold compresses....

Originally posted by rm14dp View Post
    ( also if there is anyone from England who can point me in the direct of where to get suitable protective eyewear that doesnt cost a fortune that would be appreciated ) thankyou.
    Member Robster in Bristol mentioned recently that he'd found a local website with eyewear... I just posted asking him to give us a link, or you may want to PM him for particulars.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

It's on the other thread but I'll post it here as well in case anyone missed it - http://www.dryeyeglasses.co.uk/

Comment

May i suggest a 'siesta' in the afternoon (where possible), works well for me!. You may need 45mins?..

Comment

Good tip take a nap

Originally posted by Colin P View Post
          May i suggest a 'siesta' in the afternoon (where possible), works well for me!. You may need 45mins?..
          Thanks for the tip, forced myself to have a nap today not something I am used to doing, and usually by this time of the early evening my eyes are killing me, but not today! Here is hoping I start to get better evenings. Thank you

Comment

Thanks for the link - will be buying a pair - I have had to give up my job as I couldnt manage the hours on the computer, heres hoping the glasses help.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, forced myself to have a nap today not something I am used to doing, and usually by this time of the early evening my eyes are killing me, but not today! Here is hoping I start to get better evenings. Thank you
              Glad to hear that helped! even if you dont 'nod-off' or even a 'power-nap' (5 mins) gives you what your eyes were 'crying' out for- rest/a break, upon awaking rinse your face with warm water before opening, then have another 2 or 3 mins, prop your head/shoulders up relax, and practice yawning, if you manage one or two? it soon turns into about half a dozen and hopefully you should squeeze out some 'reflex tears' which get you off to the best start.
              And for goodness sake limit the computer use!.
              When not doing something important, another way of giving your eyes a break, is to let your eyes look into the distance at soemthing that aint moving, so there not focusing on anything close or focusing on every little thing going on, some call this day-dreaming-lol.
              The eyes work a bit like a camera lens but faster, opening-closing, zooming in-zooming out, adjusting light etc, very taxing.
              Plus 80% of all the information the brain recieves comes through your eyes first. Anyone with an eye problem is obviously not going to be able to manage a day or 16hrs maybe? therefore needs a rest/recovery, my eyes tell me this cos they are telling my brain, which in turn tells me, close the damn things for 5-10 mins.

Comment

Know the feeling about giving up the job due to not being able to use a computer for long. Still debating what pair to buy myself, I'm a bit worried that they might not fit as I have quite a big head apparently!

Comment

glasses that fit

Originally posted by robster View Post
                  Know the feeling about giving up the job due to not being able to use a computer for long. Still debating what pair to buy myself, I'm a bit worried that they might not fit as I have quite a big head apparently!
                  Know the feeling, my reading glasses had to be adjusted to fit a wide face! I notice they have a refund policy so I am going to try a pair and if they dont fit will return them. Will post how I get on. Struggling to fill my time now I am at home, cant read for long or look at TV either - have tried going for walks, but the cold makes my eyes worse. Cant win. Have though about working a couple of hours in a charity shop just to get out of the house, such a dramatic change from working full time for many years. Trying to keep my chin up.

Comment

Thanks for that looks like I will be taking up day dreaming!!!!

Comment

Know the feeling, my reading glasses had to be adjusted to fit a wide face! I notice they have a refund policy so I am going to try a pair and if they dont fit will return them. Will post how I get on. Struggling to fill my time now I am at home, cant read for long or look at TV either - have tried going for walks, but the cold makes my eyes worse. Cant win. Have though about working a couple of hours in a charity shop just to get out of the house, such a dramatic change from working full time for many years. Trying to keep my chin up.
                      Dont suppose it will do your 'street cred' any good should anyone find out? but Radio talk shows(phone in's), to occupy your time? A jigsaw even? got to admit- i did one! a ravensburger 3d full globe of the earth, took weeks-lol.. Or even learn an accouistc guitar with your eyes shut?.

Comment

Learning to play the guitar is definitely a good one, I played a bit on and off before I had LASIK. Since I had LASIK my guitar playing skills have gone through the roof!

Comment

Originally posted by robster View Post
                          Learning to play the guitar is definitely a good one, I played a bit on and off before I had LASIK. Since I had LASIK my guitar playing skills have gone through the roof!
                          Hiya Robster, here's a simple but brilliant 'rift' to try; the guy on the video is considerably better than me at it !!.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBSgMwQN9vs

Comment

Working...
                          X