This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye Numbing Drops

Why can't we just use those eye numbing drops they put in in the office? That would make my life so much better! Seriously, does anyone know the harm these drops would do to our eyes? (Its just after having all 4 cauterized, drops, tons of vitamins, altered diet etc, my left eye still burns ALL THE TIME!)

I asked that question and was told it could soften the cornea, potentially leading to worse problems.

kevin

Comment

I know what you mean. Those drops sting like crazy when they are inserted in my eyes, but I love the feeling afterward. No burning for a couple of hours! But they are probably really bad if used often.
      Bianca
      Lasik victim 2012

Comment

Originally posted by kanon View Post
        Seriously, does anyone know the harm these drops would do to our eyes?
        Uh huh. Numbing your eye = switching off its ability to protect itself from any and all external sources of harm.

Corneal sensitivity is the only thing standing between all of us and blindness. That's why we have more densely packed nerves in the cornea than in any other body tissue. When you numb the cornea, it no longer has any way to tell your brain things like, "'Scuse me, blink a few times to get those tears spread out, we're kinda parched" or "Yikes, there's a piece of crap here.. make your host buckle over in pain and rush to the sink to rinse it out or I'm gonna be scarred for life!"

That's why it would basically be malpractice for doctors to prescribe the stuff. I know, I have days when I wish they would too....
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
        X