Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

crooked eyelash growth causes excessive scratching?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crooked eyelash growth causes excessive scratching?

I have DES and recently told my doctor I have excessive scratching in both eyes, the lubricant and allergy eyedrops are not helping relieve it. After examination he said the scratching is coming from several eyelashes touching the eyeballs, due to growing crooked! He stated this can be chronic, especially as you get older. He then plucked them out, which was very unpleasant, but it did actually help alot. Has anyone heard of this and have any experience with this?

I remember in the early days (mid-1990s) when I was diagnosed with blepharitis/ocular rosacea, my doctor said something kind of under his breath about my having "gaps" or "lost lashes" and "wonky lashes" or "lashes growing in different directions", but I never thought anything about it. I mean, who cares, they're just lashes?!?! They were fine with me.

But recently I've had a lot of problems with my lashes. In June, I found a completely ingrown upper lash that had to be removed (http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...ght=#post73873).

Additionally, in August an oculoplastic ophthalmologist suggested that the poking/jabbing sensation in the nasal corner of my right eye was caused by a single lash so he plucked it. But the poking just continued and in other areas... so I plucked more lashes... and then more... and then more etc. Now I'm practically nude on my right lower lid! But like you said, it does help.

The oculoplastic ophthalmologist explained to me that the lash growth cycle is 4-6 weeks and I will be plucking about every month. I've discovered that the hairs that bother me the most are very, VERY fine, fair hairs in the nasal corners (why do I even have hair there?!?!). I have to check every couple of days to make sure there's nothing there (I have a hard time seeing them!)

I've heard of people having electrolysis to permanently remove these lashes. I've also heard of *terrible* problems after this electrolysis (making eye situations worse), so I'm not going to do it (it wasn't offered to me so far).

Sorry you (and I) are going through this. And I'm worried about developing trichotillomania!

Comment

I get this problem with eyelashes rubbing on my eyeball too and have had an occuloplastic surgeon and optometrist pull them out - ouch!! I have very long eyelashes but it's never been a problem until my eyes dried up. Perhaps blepharitis, drying and thinning of the eyelids due to a lack of moisture changes the angle of the eyelids and eyelashes? As it's been said on this forum dry eye is a multfactorial problem, so many things go wrong. It's a bit like a domino effect.

Comment

Thank you SPMCC and DCRdryeye for your comments. I forgot to mention with my DES I also have MGD (posterior blepharitis). Your comments make sense, I too now believe this problem comes from the eye problems we share and not only from 'getting older'. It is challenging everyday to live with these situations, and to know other things could be coming (the domino effect) can be worrisome. I guess I will continue in prayer for all of us that a cure and better treatments are coming as many of us have to live with this for quite some time yet. I really like the Dryeye Talk, and have learned many things from several writers. Thank you again and Blessings to you.

Comment

Due to my recent 'lash drama' I've had a few thoughts on the topic...

1) did I cause this by trying crazy meibomian gland treatments (e.g., probing and/or LipiFlow) or is this just something that is "normal" for ocular rosacea/MGD/blepharitis?

2) did I cause this by adhering to my strict routine of covering my eyes at night (which, btw, helps reduce my morning pain so I will continue even if it does cause lash problems)?

On a hopeful note... my goal is to continue to pluck the lashes which will hopefully destroy the root. Then the jabbing/poking of the lashes AND the plucking will stop! Fingers and toes crossed for all of us!!

Comment

You have interesting thoughts SPMCC. I can tell you I wonder why I have MGD/blepharitis. After being diagnosed, I had many tests done to determine the cause. Here are a few, RA, Sjogren's,Lupus, all tests were negative and blood work perfect! Oh, I've heard about hormone changes, blah, blah, blah. I seriously wondered if I caused this from years of excessive stress! Some reports I have read indicate that we often create our own health problems. You have a diagnosis with reason - rosacea. As much as I have learned about rosacea, RA, sjogren's these are autimmune disorders. There are other people like me who do not have auto-immune problems but also have MGD/blepharitis. So do you think that Rosacea is the cause? Simple answers from medical professionals is 'We sometimes just don't know the cause and we can't connect the dots." I still wonder, did I somehow cause this from excessive stress? You mentioned you had eyelid probing and lipiFlow. Well, I had probing also but not LiiFlow, and I also had amniotic membrane transfer surgery which of course most the eyelashes are removed. The use of treated placenta, aids in keeping the eyeballs more lubricant. I also had pleats in my membranes that were smoothed out. Many tears would flow off the ends of my eyes. Losing my tears! I think alot of the procedures have helped (this surgery was done within the last year) I have had probing done 2 years before that, but never had this problem with the eyelashes before I had the surgery. I could expect after surgery that the eyelashes growing back in would be bothersome, but it seems to have increased! Do you believe that eventually it stops by pulling the tiny eyelashes out? Maybe you are correct, if the root comes out! As for night goggles I don't think that's causing the problem. I know others who use night masks and goggles, etc. but they don't have any problem. If I didn't have the scratching, itching, I would have to say I am doing better since the surgeries and the eyelid probing. Liked reading your thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Nancy Derby View Post
              Well, I had probing also but not LiiFlow, and I also had amniotic membrane transfer surgery which of course most the eyelashes are removed. I also had pleats in my membranes that were smoothed out. I could expect after surgery that the eyelashes growing back in would be bothersome, but it seems to have increased! Do you believe that eventually it stops by pulling the tiny eyelashes out? Maybe you are correct, if the root comes out!
              Hi Nancy,

Yes, I suppose I'm lucky to have a diagnosis. Rosacea is a no-brainer for me - I'm a typical case that anyone can see.

I'm not sure that stress could cause eye problems.

As for crazy lashes... I know that gaps and crooked eyelashes are signs of blepharitis. But I also think there's a possibility that probing could create (or worsen) wonky lashes. As for AMT, I didn't know that all lashes were removed! Wow! I think that could definitely affect their re-growth.

My hope is that by traumatizing the lash roots with constant plucking they don't grow back! That's my hope at least.

I'm glad that you're doing better after your surgeries and probing. We'll just have to keep up the plucking. Then hopefully the scratching and itching will stop!

All the best,
              Sheila

Comment

Hi Sheila:

I hope plucking the lashes will work and the root will eventually be removed and that will be the end of that. Regardingr eye surgery, only the center eye lashes on each eye were remaining. Very, very few! I am sure now also that the crazy lashes are from blepharitis. It was helpful talking to you and I hope the best for you too. Good Luck.

Nancy

Comment

Working...
                X