Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do You Cope?

Hi,
    Just signed up yesterday for Dry Eye Talk and already have found a wealth of very helpful information. Best of all, it is wonderful to know that there are folks out there who know so much about this issue and are willing to share what they know. I have posted this question on the newcomers site, too. Hope a double posting is not a breach of etiquette.

I am hoping that you can share with me some of the little or big things you have done that make a difference in coping with dry eye. I have found that my dry eye problem has had a profound impact on the way I conduct my daily life, but I am not willing at this point to go down without a fight.

Here is a little background. I have of a long drive to work each day and am starting my workday with very stressed dry eyes. Once at the office, I am not able to work for a sustained amount of time without experiencing severe dryness and pain. Working all day in front of a computer terminal is probably not helping. By the end of the day, when I have to get back in my car and drive home, the drive is pure torture. Once home, I am so exhausted all I want to do is plop down somewhere and veg. Since I can no longer watch TV without severe dryness and pain, that is out of the question as a mode of relaxation. I find I can do some close work, so I do crossword or sudoku puzzles.

So, my question is, how do you all cope? For example, have you found that looking down at a computer screen helps? Do you need to take breaks during the day? If so, what do you do to help restore some comfort to your eyes? The list of possibilities is endless, and I am hoping that by sharing our ways of coping we can all benefit.

To get the ball rolling, I offer my number one way to cope with dry eye. Promise you won't laugh because I swear this works. When I am driving to work I have found that if I sing, yes that is correct, SING, my dry eye is greatly relieved. Now, this can't be just any old singing, I am talking about belting out the Dixie Chicks or Aretha Franklin. Try it (I would recommend being alone in the car at the time) and see if it doesn't work for you.
    Ok, now it is your turn!

MOC, welcome to DEZ. It just happens this particular subject came up just recently. See the link below for some practical suggestions.

Your idea is a good one. Anything that gets us through the next 20 minutes, 3 hours, day without agonizing (thinking) about our eyes can help! Sometimes it can be something like singing like an idiot (loud as he** is a must) in the car. One thing I like to do is get my hubby outside, turn off the tv, put on my cd's of Rod Stewart, Elvis or whomever and turn 'em up. I can then get some serious house cleaning done. Hubby does not appreciate my taste in music, and the tv has to be off for me to enjoy the whole experience.

I sure dated myself with the Elvis/Rod Stewart thing, but what the heck? My favorite tv show is Rock Superstar, go figure. I think Dilana should have won.

Read some of the suggestions in this thread. Now go blast the car radio.

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...t=untkicker%2A
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Hi MOC and welcome!

Kind of funny timing on the question. I was just in the process of trying to consolidate some of the tips that people have posted in these forums over the - well yeah it's already been a year and a half! since our launch - such as the thread Lucy just linked to.

I've still got a little ways to go with it but figured I'd go ahead and post the links for you and others.

Living with dry eye (Just a little directory of articles in this "series" that I'll be adding from time to time)
      Surviving the office environment (The Untkicker thread and others, culled into an organized list)
      Pain management (Tips from some of those threads where we shared coping tips about dealing with the worst days. Homes' pot suggestion was omitted .)
      Dry eyes at night The usual bag of tricks for not waking up with lids stuck to the epithelium.
      Travelling with dry eyes Full credit to Lucy for this one... I still remember the thread (don't remember which bulletin board, maybe SurgicalEyes or D'Eye) where I posted some long-winded advice that she summed up in those great 6 key words.
      Depression and anxiety Some personal observations about the trend in depression amongst dry eye patients and how it can be tackled.

FYI everybody,

If you've never checked out Dry Eye A to Z on our main DryEyeZone site you may want to take a look. Some parts leave a lot to be desired - like pages I started a year and a half ago and never finished - but there's an awful lot that I've updated recently, like the links above plus:

- dry eye for dummies
      - eye lubricant directory
      - intro to punctal plugs

When I get further along I'll try to post a longer list of 'fresh' stuff.
      Last edited by Rebecca Petris; 18-Sep-2006, 13:07.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

For me, the only way to make it through a work day on the computer is with the use of prescription Panoptx googles. That and lots of eye drops. I look like a dork but at least the work gets done.

Comment

MOC, I can so relate......

Hi MOC,

I am also a newbie to this site, just posted my "story" today (see new kid on the block...) and I can SO relate to what you are saying! My eye problem got so bad and I became so stressed that I am now on a leave of absence from work to try to get better. I used to have a harrowing drive to work, was stressed when I got there and had to be on the computer, doing filing etc. all day long, in miserable discomfort a lot of the time and had the nightmare drive home to look forward to. There were times, I hate to say it, but I was literally holding one eye open to drive home because they would close without warning and I was terrified that something bad was going to happen. Luckily, it never did, I am a careful driver by nature, but it made me a nervous wreck and I'd get home so drained and exhausted. I know you are looking for ways to cope and I wish I could be more helpful in that regard. The only thing I could suggest that may help is warm compresses on your eyes and rest. Hope you don't ever get at bad as I did. Best of luck to you.

Comment

Have you seen a doctor for your dry eyes? What treatments are you on? Using any meds? Punctal Plugs?

Comment

Working...
            X