Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am i normal ?

Hi all

Kocking on the door of two yrs now since my peepers started giving me grief, and i guess having one of those, is it only me type moments. I read about people getting sustained relief from drops and compresses etc, which i also do in varying amounts. But there are aspects of life that do remain a right old pain in the 'eye' no matter how much care i take of them. These include

PC use ( This is work, i have a anti glare filter, and wear glasses to improve font size)
    Watching TV
    Reading
    All of these basically make my eyes sore and the lids get very red, if i do any of them for an extended period of time.( in fact they are red right now using the PC..)

A typical day (mon - fri) will include Pc use, TV and reading. Hence on a evening i am surgically attached to my best bud, the rice bag, which does feel nice, but the whole process starts again the next day. Each day is a battle against the dreaded red!!

Weekends are much better and at times i forget i have a problem. But monday soon comes around again.

So i guess the purpose of this mail is to get replys such as 'me too ben, stop yer whinging' or 'crikey, not me guv, mine is well under control'.

Do some have periods of total relief, or are the conditions for some as cyclical as mon to fri, weekend off then start again. Is this just how it goes, or should i expect more relief during the week.

Apologies if this sounds like a moan, it is one, and i apologise for it, but hey, you are my dry eye buddies and by default you have to put up with me. Best advice i get from my friends over here is try getting an early night mate.

cheers all

ben

Yes, you are "normal" in the world of dry eye people. You are not alone in this. I, too, spend all day on a PC for work. This will be for a minimum of 10 hours straight per day. I wear prescription reading goggles the whole time. I have a humidifier blasting. I have a rice bag that gets warmed up about 20 times per day and applied to the eyes. I have an arsenal of eye drops sitting on the desk and they get used all day long. I am in eye hell all day long with horrible burning and pain. In the evening I like to read, but can barely get through a page due to the pain and burning. TV watching is the same deal.

On the weekends, I am slightly improved and I think it is because I try and avoid the computer usage at all costs.

I wake up in the morning already miserable and it gets worse as the day goes on. It has been like this for 6 years.

Don't feel like it is only you - most of us are in the same boat. To someone who has never experienced severe dry eye, they can't imagine what it is like. It sounds so trivial but it certainly can turn your whole day upside down. When I have to leave the house it takes me an additional 5 minutes to gather eye drops, mirror, goggles, glasses and stuff. Then after I leave I'm always in a panic that I must have forgotten something and I make myself nuts and everyone around me crazy for that matter!

Comment

Ben

It is my understanding that watching TV, reading and using the PC naturally results in a reduced blink rate and for those of us with already compromised tear film, this challenges it even further resulting in dry, tired, sore and red eyes.

This is when the professionals say that you should use more artifical tears - great suggestion but if you are already using them every hour or two (or more frequently) this solution just doesn't make a significant difference and there are limited options available for them to recommend.

Typically on weekends your eyes feel better because you are not staring at a PC all day in an office environment where the temperature is usally artifically controlled and the air is stale and still with little or no circulation.

I have found that since reducing my work load, having regular naps and using regular artificial tears, drinking less alcohol and drinking more water that my eyes are feeling a lot better. Having greater control over my environment has really made a significant difference. Fortunately, I have had the flexibility to do this.

Your glasses may help a little to reduce the evaporation of tears another option is to get some wrap arounds (but this is a little difficult and very expensive) if you have a requirement for prescription glasses as well.

Take care Ben, don't mind about the moan, we are all dry eye buddies and unfortunately we are all in this together, supporting each goes a long way to help deal with this condition. People on this BB all understand how it feels where our "normal" friends just don't seem to understand or appreciate what it feels like.

Hope you got hold of some drops.

Ian

Comment

Hi Ben,
        I can say that with 20/20 hindsight's post, I have little to add. Very similar circumstances.
        Ian's post:
        I have found that since reducing my work load, having regular naps and using regular artificial tears, drinking less alcohol and drinking more water that my eyes are feeling a lot better. Having greater control over my environment has really made a significant difference. Fortunately, I have had the flexibility to do this.
        Ian's suggestions are very simple and have great merit. You just HAVE to take the measures you CAN. I found it necessary to take breaks at work and go somewhere quiet and close my eyes each time I could. Relief for me comes in the form of heat or ice bags. Relief for the time I'm "wearing them."

You are not whining, wailing or complaining......you're venting and this is part of the healing PROCESS for most of us. (It doesn't mean we're literally healed, but working through the process.) Hopefully, tomorrow will be better.
        Lucy
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

What is normal anyway?????

Ben,

Not sure if you have tried an ice pack. I find this to be tremedous relief when my eyes are really on fire.

I quite often use an icepack after a heat pack. I figure the heat pack gets the glands flowing, but the icepack brings soothing relief. For some people the heat pack does that - each to their own.

We are all normal here - it is just the degree of normality that changes on a daily basis.

As Lucy says, you have to take whatever measures you CAN, sometimes that means taking breaks, sometimes it means taking time out, but one thing none of us can compromise is our drive and determination to deal with this as best as we can and not let it break us down.

Hang in there Ben

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Inspirational

I found these replies to be inspirational. You're all right, we have to simply do what we can for our condition with what we are given, hope that new and more effective and scientifically advanced options become available soon, and strive to stay educated about the condition, upcoming treatments, and work with each other to stay motivated and comforted (always remember you're not alone). I find keeping a dry eye personal diary to be helpful, as it allows me to record my daily treatment regime, my symptoms & their severity, and reflect on trends, on any given day
            Jason

"We should not be looking for answers to the diseases we suffer from today, but why many peoples in the world don't get them at all."

Comment

silly!!

Many thanks for the replies, i feel a bit silly today. As i did indeed snap yesterday. I have had other days like that but never actually publically moaned before.

Although i i am not happy that others have this condition, i truley did and do find comfort in the fact that you all understand and i can see that a lot of what i experience is mirrored in a lot of others daily routines. 20/20 i sincerley empathise.

The drops and advice i have recieved have definately helped things, especially Dwelle overnight and Nutra tears during the day, and i tried an ice pack last night, which def helped the redness(thanks Ian). But there in lay the problem for a mind like mine, these things provided much needed and appreciated comfort, not a Eureka moment of, that's it!!

It is almost like i have to train my whole thought process to adapt to the situation, working in a job where i constantly solve logistical nightmares, it seemed alien to admit that i have a problem that i cannot solve. However i can see that, as you say, i must do what i can, and not give up, the solution is out there somewhere. I must just keep plugging away.

Next product that needs inventing...computer glasses that block out all glare from screens and lights etc.. or i could just get a new job, but the North Eastern Coast of England where i live ain't no place for a beach bar!!

Many thanks again, i will attempt to moan no more.

cheers
              ben

Comment

Hey Ben,

Don't be silly. Being able to relate and have compassion for one another's "moans" is part of what this "dry eye buddy" site is all about. God Bless and have an excellent day!!

Comment

Its ok ben. We all have our bad days. I am having a bad time right now too. It is hard not to get down when dealing with DES, but at least you are not alone. We all feel your pain. And isn't it nice to have this wonderful website to vent your frustrations

Comment

Working...
                  X