Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious: How much pain?

Hello everyone,

I would like to know how your eyes feel like. We've all read the descriptions of DES with the exact same wording (sandy gritty sensation etc etc) and how it is diagnosed. But after my Lasik I discovered that symptoms don't necessarily correlate with tests.

I will never forget the unbearable pain when I got out of the Laser suite. I took Vicodin (sp?) to keep my eyes open to be checked for striae, and I remember the horrible comment by my surgeon, who mentioned casually that he had suffered from severe dry eye after his Lasik and had that much pain for an entire month afterwards I couldn't possibly open my eyelids from the extreme pain, and I wonder if that's what severe dry eye feels like - in which case, dear God, I sympathize with each and every one of you...

I have only "trace SPK" after 6 months on Restasis and 13 after lasik. However when untreated my eyes burn and hurt in the same spot (I can tell that the pain is localized inferiorly to the left, for example - that means that sensation is back...yay ) The pain resembles red eye pain, and can range to a 5-6 on a scale from 1 to 10. At its worst, it can trigger a headache - but painkillers work for that. I often become aware of my eyeball's movement as well. My vision also becomes very blurry (sometimes I can't see well the computer monitor, a few inches away from my face).

The only things that kill my pain on contact are Dwelle, Dakrina, hot compresses, hot showers, and blinking exercises (I recommend them). Every time I cheat and use another drop my eyes burn terribly about an hour later - and it makes me wonder how I managed for so long. I also think that I have a strong pain tolerance, for example I didn't mind the intense initial Restasis burning.

So how about you? How strong is it?

Hi cristinalatina,

Personally I don't have much pain at all. 2 on scale 1-10.
    I have more of a warm tingling, gritty sensation. Hard to describe.
    FYI my des is caused by (current theory) - Air conditioning (27% humidity) at work and some medication side effects.
    Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

A little more

My eyes have hurt worse. Expecially from the infections I get. But the actual daily pain is a thing that progresses thru the day. I start out with minimal pain (thanks to GenTeal Gel and the Eyeeco Moisture Goggles) but by noon the burning, gritty pain is building up. It is difficult to keep my eyes open. I use drops about 25-35? times a day. A lot. The only thing that relieves the pain is constantly putting in drops and it only lasts for a few minutes. I've gone to 3.75 magnifying lens to see my large flatscreen computer and even then it is difficult. By about 8:00p.m. there is no choice but to go to bed. When we go to doctor's offices, in the car, commercials on tv, my eyes are closed.

Billye

Comment

corneal erosion pain

When waking up in the morning with an erosion, it depends on how severe the erosion is - the best is if it just feels uncomfortable if I look too far left or right, this usually clears up within an hour. I carry on as normal being careful to try to look just straight ahead.

Medium-bad it feels like there is something huge in my eye, stuck underneath my eyelid that scrapes my eyeball if I move it. To deal with this I lie on my front, I have a cold compress, I take the strongest painkillers I have (co-codamol at the moment) and try to be still and relaxed and not panic. It usually clears up in the afternoon and I only miss a day of work.

I don't want to scare anyone but truthfully, at its worst, if I wake up with a bad erosion, if I ever move the eye the sensation is like having razor blades dipped in acid being sliced across my eye, I am practically screaming when it happens. I can't help but panic and I just try and control my breathing, while shouting for my housemates to go to the chemist for me if they are in (they really love that!). Going to the hospital is not an option, as I am completely blinded how would I get there? I just have to wait it out, and try to get myself to the hospital later once the pain calms down slightly. I manage to see by occaisionally flicking the good eyelid open so I get a brief glimpse of my surroundings, taking care not to focus on anything (which would move the other eye and start me screaming again). It looks ridiculous but of course I am beyond caring!

Comment

Never have figured out why I have dry eyes. My symptoms are just dry eyes. Never anything to do with vision, scratchy feeling or grit. Just bone dry.

14 years later, I am mostly comfortable with punctum plugs, restasis and fish oil supplements.

From reading this board for many years, it seems that the lasik people really have a different experience than the non lasik. The lasik folks seem to have many symptoms beyond just the dryness....vision issues, light sensitivity issues...more complex problems. Just an observation.

Comment

[QUOTE]The lasik folks seem to have many symptoms beyond just the dryness....vision issues, light sensitivity issues...more complex problems. Just an observation.QUOTE]
            I agree, I've not had any form of laser surgery but have dry eyes. Pretty much burning and giving me trouble all the time at the moment even with careful treatment at night.

Though I don't have any additional visions problems (other than poor eyesight I can't get corrected ) I've had sinus problems for 2 years that CT scans come up blank on. So they can't even fix that. Unfortunately the two have connections: http://accesseye.com/services/dryeyes/dryeyes.htm
            just keep swimming...

Comment

Exactly...

Your description is so accurate...the horrifying pain associated with the bad erosions is so intense that "not panicking" is totally out of the realm of possibility..My heart goes out to you as I know exactly what you are feeling...

Allie

Originally posted by Mcgoldilocks View Post
              When waking up in the morning with an erosion, it depends on how severe the erosion is - the best is if it just feels uncomfortable if I look too far left or right, this usually clears up within an hour. I carry on as normal being careful to try to look just straight ahead.

Medium-bad it feels like there is something huge in my eye, stuck underneath my eyelid that scrapes my eyeball if I move it. To deal with this I lie on my front, I have a cold compress, I take the strongest painkillers I have (co-codamol at the moment) and try to be still and relaxed and not panic. It usually clears up in the afternoon and I only miss a day of work.

I don't want to scare anyone but truthfully, at its worst, if I wake up with a bad erosion, if I ever move the eye the sensation is like having razor blades dipped in acid being sliced across my eye, I am practically screaming when it happens. I can't help but panic and I just try and control my breathing, while shouting for my housemates to go to the chemist for me if they are in (they really love that!). Going to the hospital is not an option, as I am completely blinded how would I get there? I just have to wait it out, and try to get myself to the hospital later once the pain calms down slightly. I manage to see by occaisionally flicking the good eyelid open so I get a brief glimpse of my surroundings, taking care not to focus on anything (which would move the other eye and start me screaming again). It looks ridiculous but of course I am beyond caring!

Comment

To SilverLady

Hey, sounds like you need Restasis. This wonderful problem of ours is totally about figuring out what works best for us individually. I was in your same boat a few years ago, and now I am on restasis, and don't put any drops in all day long... but, I put drops in during the middle of the night (amazing, but it works wonders for the next day). Also, I would recommend ditching the gel on a temporary basis. I use the Gel too, but ONLY at night after those really bad days- cause otherwise the next day, your eyes feel weird, right? Anyway, try restasis, then eyedrops in the night, then restasis again the next morning (maybe around 10.) Also, get a humidifier in your bedroom, and take Omegas.

Don't know what to say about the pain- I am right there with you suffering, but just trying to manage. Good Luck, and let me know if this was helpful. John.
                [/SIGPIC]

Comment

To John

Thanks for all the suggestions but unfortunately I'm already doing them. I have progressive Sjogren's Disease. I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis. Both cause dry eyes among a lot of other things.

We run humidifiers all over the house, I take high dose omega's, wear Panoptyx when I'm driving. The gel I use isn't an ointment, it's actually a gel. I've been on Restasis for about 2 years and probably am not getting much good out of it but I'm not stopping it. I've had to stop using my eyeeco goggles for several months and I can tell a noticable worsening. The doctor also let my RA get out of control and he has finally managed to get it back under control so perhaps things will get a little better. I'm also going to try to wear the night goggles again starting tonight.

Thanks for caring enough to make the suggestions.
                  Billye

Comment

sometimes the inexplicable

Billye - - I hear you. There are times when one is doing absolutely everything possible, and, barring a little tinkering, there is little else to be tried. I just wanted to say that I've been through long spells when I had no new ideas to pursue, and my condition just persisted or worsened. . .only later to experience some inexplicable shift in my body that changed everything. The body is mysterious, and it seems to have eras and epochs. I think it is possible that at some time, your disorders may go into spontaneous remission, or that one disorder will remit, and create a cascade that challenges and weakens the others, opening the way for some major recovery of health. . .Please never rule this possibility out. . .It is a real one that cannot be stopped when its time has come. . .
                    <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Hi Again Silver Lady

Hi, thanks for your reply. I am very sorry to hear that. We have been recently studying R.A. in School, and so I know the extreme pain which is also accompanied by that autoimmune disease as well. Sojourns (sp?) is a terrible one too. I have the really bad dry eye, but can only imagine the Hell that would come with the dry mucus membranes as well. ?? Don't know what to say. Ever tried a pilocarpine? I will pray for you!! Also, I have recently changed my diet... as of a month, and I think that has helped a bit. I bought a juicer, and juice tons of carrot, apple, and ginger. Then freeze the left over- It will keep for a month in the freezer and still stay good. Also, I am eating tons of salads, steamed vegetables, lots of swiss chard and Kale! And absolutely NO SUGARS (but the natural sugars in the fruits are ok!). Sugar itself acts like a poison, and will competitively bind to the weakest receptors in your body- thus making things worse. Maybe this is your next move?? Anyhow, good luck!!!!

Just a question to everyone else: Has anyone else ever noticed there eyes start to hurt really bad after eating a bunch of candy or sweets??? Thanks John.
                      [/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                      X