Is my pain common?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my pain common?

This is my first post, but I've been reading these boards for over a year now. I read often about the stinging, redness and grittiness of dry eye pain. My pain is somewhat different and I would like to see if anyone else experiences similar pain.

My eyes are slightly tired at the end of the day, but no real pain to speak of. Once I fall asleep it is a different story. I sleep fine, but when I wake up in the middle of the night and open my eyes, they feel as if they are contracting. Then, after 3-5 seconds, it feels like a bandaid gets ripped off the surface of my eyeball. I know it's a weird description, but it's the most accurate I can come up with. If I can catch it and put in a drop before the "rip" then I can avoid it.

It is a brief but excruciating pain. It is not gritty, or stinging, or a sensation of pressure. It is only in the middle of the night, and does not happen upon waking up in the morning.

I described it to my eye doctor, who said she had never heard of dry eye pain described in this way but assumed it was dry eye. She had me put Refresh PM in the eye just before going to sleep and that does prevent it from happening.

It also is not constant. It occured cosistently for 3 months and then stopped. Then just this week it started again after being absent for 10 months. It started up after I had been on Restasis for 4 weeks, so I don't think they helps it.

If anyone has similar symptons, please let me know your story. Thank you for you help. These boards have given me a lot of comfort over the last year.

Hi Bradman,

Did you talk to your doctor about corneal erosions? It sounds like you might be having those. I personally do not suffer from those, but if you do a search on this site you might be able to find some tips from people who do. I think one of the suggestions I've read before on this site is to keep your eyedrops on your nightstand and try to put them in before you completely open your eyes. You might also want to wear some sort of a sleep mask at night. Hopefully this will keep you from opening your eyes by accident before you have a chance to put in some kind of lubrication. I hope things get better for you soon!

-Shells

Comment

Recurrent corneal erosions

You sound like a text book case for recurrent erosions...Try a gel at night..Genteal gel or Muro 128..Your eye doc may even decide a bandaid contact lens would be worth a try to get the erosion to heal...They are very painful..
      best of luck....

Comment

Working...
      X