eyeball pain/eyelid pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eyeball pain/eyelid pain

Well, it's always something. My dry eyes were actually doing better. But, of course, I have to have OTHER problems now. Does it every end??
    For those of you who have eye pain.....did your eye ever hurt to touch? Mine does in the 12:00-2:00 area. This has come and gone since Lasik. It was gone for several months and now is back again. The dryness has actually been better lately, so I am puzzled. I do also get a 'funny' feeling in my cheekbone area at times or around my eye socket...nothing major. It sort of sounds like that nerve....but I don't know why it is acting up now when my eyes are actually doing better in the dry eye department.

I have noticed it most when putting warm compresses on my eye or doing eye massages as my eye does not like to be touched, although I feel it at times when nothing is touching my eye. It is in my left eye, and this eye seemed to be slowly getting more painful. I stopped doing the massages for a while, thinking maybe I had pressed to hard and hurt my eye, but that didn't seem to matter.
    This is very intermittent. Sometimes I can touch it and it hurts a lot, other times it doesn't.

I have also wondered if the eye lid is the culprit, and not the eye itself, but can't determine that. No unusual symptoms that would indicate any type of infection or anything. It really does feel like the pain is in the eye, but the only reason I suspected the eye lid is that when doing the eyelid scrub with the q-tip, when running the q-tip along the lid margin I hit a sensitive spot and it was quite sore. This sore spot was right near where my eye hurts to touch. This happened a couple of times...again, it is intermittent. No sign of redness or anything unusual, though.

Does this sound like anything you guys have experienced? Any ideas? I don't seem to have allergies or congestion.

This is exactly what I feel. I've never had anyone else (in three years) explain the exact description of my pain.

My pain sometimes goes in the cheek also, into the back of my throat (feels like I have a sore throat all the time) and over to my ear.

I also have very heavy eyelids which causes more pressure on the eye.

Try wearing a contact to relieve some of the rubbing. I have to take a 1 hour rest every day to help bring down some of the pain.

I'm at work and I have to go now, but we should talk. My email is ccoverly@umich.edu.

I personally think it's some kind of nerve pain that gets irritated and painful.

I really thought I was the only one with these strange symptoms. I'm sorry it's happening to you too. I'll get back with this thread tomorrow.

Chris

Comment

Eye Pain/Eyeball pain

That is the exact pain I feel every day, but thankfully, the medication I take for it keeps it at bay for the most part. I always have the creepy, crawly feeling in my right cheekbone and my right eye is always sore to the touch, mostly in the area closest to my cheek. When it really kicks in, it extends to my right ear. For me, this is Trigeminal Neuralgia and I was told that it is directly related to my dry eye problem. I have a very hard time with lid scrubs and eye massage, as it irritates me more than helps. If I do them, it is first thing in the morning, never in the evening. I always know that when it bothers me more than usual, I have not been using drops as often as I should. Even though my eyes don't feel dry, they are and I have let it go to long. (Just pulled out my bottle of Dakrina and put some in right now!)

Gaye

Comment

Gaye:

I'm interested to know what medication you are on for this, possibly something for the trigeminal neuralgia?

I know trigeminal neuralgia can start after periodontal work when the nerves are cut.

You can email me if you want. My email is in the post above yours.

Thanks, Chris

Comment

I too have all these symptoms. I was given neurotin as well as Nortriptyline.
          I like the nortriptyline better than the neurotin.... it doesn't make me feel as sleepy in the morning. I was told that my eyes were so dry that it irritated all of my nerve endings. Personally, I think it is almost like an RSD (reflex sympathetic dystrophy) at times.

Comment

To Binanut re: eye pain

Ask your doctor to give you Trileptal and see if that works. I tried Neurontin first and couldn't handle it. It made me very jumpy and I couldn't sleep. Besides, it just didn't help. But the Trileptal (300mg) every night about an hour before bed really did the trick, and I don't wake up groggy at all. It sure would be worth a try for you. I have no side effects from it at all, except that it really shuts down that nerve pain.

Gaye

Comment

Working...
            X