The Art Of Living

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Art Of Living

Here you could find part of the opening of this article, which I personally found wonderful and inspiring. This article is trying to answer the questions of How not to create tension? How to remain peaceful and harmonious?
    Reviewing, the available conventional wisdom solutions discussing its drawbacks, and suggesting an optimal and effective solution and explaining the rational behind it. I found written in a very fun, narrative and vivid way. Dealing with the key issues right to the point. <at least this is my own personal opinion>
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone seeks peace and harmony, because these are what we lack in our lives. From time to time we all experience agitation, irritation, disharmony, suffering; and when one suffers from agitation, one does not keep this misery limited to oneself. One keeps distributing it to others as well. The agitation permeates the atmosphere around the miserable person. Everyone who comes into contact with him also becomes irritated, agitated. Certainly this is not the proper way to live.

How does one start generating negativity? Again, by investigating, it becomes clear. I become very unhappy when I find someone behaving in a way which I don't like, when I find something happening which I don't like. Unwanted things happen and I create tension within myself. Wanted things do not happen, some obstacles come in the way, and again I create tension within myself; I start tying knots within myself. And throughout life, unwanted things keep on happening, wanted things may or may not happen, and this process or reaction, of tying knots--Gordian knots--makes the entire mental and physical structure so tense, so full of negativity, that life becomes miserable.
    Now one way to solve the problem is to arrange that nothing unwanted happens in my life and that everything keeps on happening exactly as I desire. i must develop such power, or somebody else must have the power and must come to my aid when I request him, that unwanted things do not happen and that everything I want happens. But this is not possible. There is no one in the world whose desires are always fulfilled, in whose life everything happens according to his wishes, without anything unwanted happening. Things keep on occurring that are contrary to our desires and wishes. So the question arises, how am I not to react blindly in the face of these things which I don't like? How not to create tension? How to remain peaceful and harmonious?

For the full article please click on the following link --> http://www.dhamma.org/en/art.shtml

The Art of Living
    [excerpt from] text is based upon a talk given by Mr. S.N. Goenka in Berne, Switzerland.
    Last edited by HOSADOS; 01-Feb-2008, 20:06. Reason: Shortened, adding a link, writing a few line about the purpose of this article

hi, i am doing art of living and it really helps me

Comment

Working...
    X