X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• desperately asking for help with dry eyes/facial pain problem

Hello,

I have pretty bad dry eyes and am working on them with my eye doctor.. However, the worst thing is i have facial pain/irritation along where my glasses touch my face, especially the nosepads. It's not really pain, but more irritation and disactraction. This casues big problems to my daily life because i can't conentrate myself so well.

Does anybody else have or have known such cases. I searched this site, but there is only more other case and no other information available.

I am very upset and desperate now. I am doing everything for my dry eyes and they are getting better, however, this facial pain problem, is really out of my control and my eye doctor (i am in a small town in Ohio) can not do anything...

Please if any of you has any information, let me know, thank you so much.

Hasan

a pain med like Neurontin could be i order. You probably should visit a pain clinic where a doc who specialized in pain could have a look. I also would recommend accupuncture.
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Where in Ohio are you, Hasan?

Comment

Thanks for your advice, Dianat. I am in Bowling Green.

Originally posted by dianat View Post
        Where in Ohio are you, Hasan?

Comment

Hasan,

The following is a post I wrote a week or so ago regarding my experience with a pain doc. Please consider that my complaint was occular burning, and only very little of facial, tension-type pain. I think a doc of this sort would be an excellent place for you to start.

Also, I see from your post that you've given up some of your favorite luxuries due to your eye/facial issues. I implore you to find a way to continue doing what you love. If it's fishing you love, then get some windless eyewear...like the ones for sale on this site. Heck, just go to a Harley shop and find something that fits you well. You'll likely need the strap to keep out the air entirely.

Here's my previous post regarding my pain doc experience:

Please, do what it takes to give yourself some joy in the midst of all this struggling. You'll one day get hold of this and will manage it. Until then, please find some pleasure.

It wasn't difficult to track down my pain doc. I would suggest asking around of people who may have needed one. I always appreciate a personal recommendation from someone. I actually didn't have anybody here to ask so I opted to make phone calls.

I believe after my first call to the first pain clinic I found in the phone book, I was sold. My intent was to just get a feel for the practice based on who answered the phone. I proceeded to give a quick review of my story, and bluntly asked if the doctor was caring, patient and understanding of someone in pain and experiencing anxiety.

The woman from the staff that I spoke with probably spent a half hour talking to me, listening to my woes and recommending that I come in for a visit.

Truth be told, I was extremely depressed at the time and really just needed a doc to be nice to me first, and hopefully offer some options for the burning pain. At the time, there was a lot of chatter about Neurontin for eye pain. Not every doc can prescribe this med, so I made sure the pain guy could do that for me.

Quite honestly, the doc really didn't know much specifically about eye pain and burning. But, he was a great listener when I needed one and was willing to try whatever came to his mind or to my attention on the dry eye web sites. He was a really interesting, thinking, left-field kind of guy. He also understood depression well and could treat it and was more open to trying different doses and drugs...far more so than my family practice doctor.

The staff at a pain clinic are a special bunch who never rushed me during an appointment and went so far as to hold me as I sobbed in the grips of one of my worst and most memorable bouts of anxiety (complete with constant pacing, insomnia diarrhea, lack of hunger, crying...)

Ultimately, my pain doctor didn't exactly solve my pain issues. The reduction in burning I experienced may have been due to blood serum or simply time. My pain doc is indeed the one who encouraged me to try the serum, but my ophthalmologist actually prepared it.

My pain doc did prescribe different drugs for me, one that did help when I felt I just couldn't face the night without help. But, it was really not a permanent solution. Looking back, I think the time and understanding I got from that doc was really important. He entered my life at a time when I absolutely felt I needed to be doing something...anything...to help my condition. He kept me in motion, brainstormed and worked on my depression. My time as his patient was a very, very important step in my mental and physical recovery.

D

Comment

Diana, what a thoughtful, candid post to Hasan! It's rare for people to be able to write this with such heartfelt warmth and clarity. (Gee, I'm going soft.) Lucy
            Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

SSSShhhhh.....I don't want to blow my cover.

Comment

Hi Dianat,

Thank you so much for your long and caring reply.

Right now, i am doing every thing i can inclulding punctual plugs, systane, Lotemax, warm compress, fish oil/flaxseed oil and so on. My dry eye condistion is getting better, but slowly. I am seeing an eye doctor too, but i feel he is not so exprienced since this is such a small town. Any how i am getting a little better and i am happy with that. Among all the approaches i am trying now, i feel warm compress helps me the best. I made a hug rice bag a while ago, it worked great but i was afraid it was too dry for my skin. So, i bought a few instant hot packs. Those work very well together with a wet washcloth and i am really enjoying the hot and moisture now.

Also, there is a magic therapy: onion wine. My wife found that online a few weeks ago and made one bottle for me. I tried for a couple of days and the effect was amazing. My eyes were so much stronger and saw much clearer. The best was my facial pain was much better. I couldn't believe the results!! However, i stopped using after a short while because i was on Lotemax and i felt the wine would maybe make the inflammation worse. You know i am from China and i believe food and nutrition do affect eyes and inflammation. Yesterday, however, after seeing my eye doctor, i decided to use the onion wine again because the facial pain is worse to live with. Last night, i drank like 25 ml and i felt much more comfortable this morning. Hopefully, it won't make the inflammation worse.

I strongly recommend onion wine to you and very likely it will help you too. I am very sure about the receipe now, but briefly like the following:Buy one bottle regular wine, regular size and 3 onions. Slice all the 3 onions and put the silces into another bigger bottle together with the wine. It will be done after 1 week. Drink 25 ml every day, maximum 50 ml, i know it's very little but believe me the wine will be super strong. In addition, the onion wine is very good for overall health such as sleeping problems, high blood pressure...

Thank you again for your kindness and i will post followups here.

Best,
                Hasan

Comment

Hi Hasan,

You said the facial pain is around the bridge of your nose. It is an ache or more than a sharp pain? Do you feel any pressure? I used to get alot of pain and pressure around my eyes/nose/cheeks that I attributed to my eye problems, and it was incredibly distracting. I still get aching around my eyes, but it doesn't seem quite as bad as when I used to get the pressure. If it is a pressure feeling, it could be possible that it is sinus related as well. Have you explored that possibility? Sometimes when I would get that bad pressure/ache feeling, I would use the rice baggy under and around my eyes (I never liked the dry heat directly on my eyes, but the heat on my cheeks seemed to help with the ache). I hope you start feeling better soon.

-Shells

Comment

Hasan,

I have the same problem, I have "pressure" or pain around eyes(eye sockets, and in forehead between the eyes.) is this what you are experiencing?

rhad

Comment

Hello Shells,

It's more like pressure and in worse cases pain. This feeling comes from nosepads and glass frame legs. Sometimes better, sometimes worse, very disactracting. I have to adjust move my glasses very frequently.

Please read my reply to Dianat above about the onion wine. It really helps. You can try it too.

Let's keep in contact here and wish each other good luck.

Thanks,

Hasan

Originally posted by shells View Post
                      Hi Hasan,

You said the facial pain is around the bridge of your nose. It is an ache or more than a sharp pain? Do you feel any pressure? I used to get alot of pain and pressure around my eyes/nose/cheeks that I attributed to my eye problems, and it was incredibly distracting. I still get aching around my eyes, but it doesn't seem quite as bad as when I used to get the pressure. If it is a pressure feeling, it could be possible that it is sinus related as well. Have you explored that possibility? Sometimes when I would get that bad pressure/ache feeling, I would use the rice baggy under and around my eyes (I never liked the dry heat directly on my eyes, but the heat on my cheeks seemed to help with the ache). I hope you start feeling better soon.

-Shells

Comment

Hello rhad,

In my case, it's a feeling of heavy pressure under the nosepads and glass frame legs. It will become pain when it's really bad. Due to dry eye conditions, i can't wear contact lenses and therefore have to bear that feeling all the day. Very tiring. It's disattracting me very very frequently and i have to move my glasses very often.

Are you seeing a doctor or doing anything?

Let's keep in touch here, it's very hard to find similar cases. BTW, do you also have dry eyes?

Thanks,

Hasan

Originally posted by rhad View Post
                        Hasan,

I have the same problem, I have "pressure" or pain around eyes(eye sockets, and in forehead between the eyes.) is this what you are experiencing?

rhad

Comment

Originally posted by hasan View Post
                          the worst thing is i have facial pain/irritation along where my glasses touch my face, especially the nosepads. It's not really pain, but more irritation and disactraction.
                          It sounds like your frame and lenses need some optimization in both materials and fit.

Glasses should not touch your face (minus the nose and ears). Ideally, those should be only 3 points of contact on your head.

Nose pads are made from a few different types of material and some of them can cause an irritation. Regardless of you current material, you may find it beneficial to change materials ASAP. I find many patients do better with a new clean properly sized soft silicone nose pads that are replaced frequently.

Also, you may benefit from the lightest possible pair of glasses in order to spare the nose from undue weight. Heavy glasses = discomfort/irritation. Titanium or surgical plastic frames are not only lightweight, they are hypoallergenic, which would also help resolve any possible frame material allergy. Minimizing lens size and using the lightest possible lens material will also keep the weight down. Make sure you have an eyecare provider customize the frame specifically for equal weight distribution and 3 point touch.

I had similar issues as you and alleviated my symptoms by treating myself with a lightweight hypoallergenic rimless surgical plastic frame(and nose pads) with small lightweight lenses. The frames weigh 2.5 ounces and the lenses a few more! http://www.italee.com/25/25main.html

Comment

Mine!!

I actually am wearing the frame you suggested Dr. Bazan. The nose pieces can be adjusted and even tho my lens are pretty thick, the light weight frame is wonderful. I have a small bridge on my nose and the optician bent the earpieces directly down over my ears to anchor them. That takes a lot of pressure off my nose. Just be sure the nose piece isn't too tight. They also are available with a sunglass clip which is very lightweight. Get the darkest you can, it helps. They also added a small amt of lens to the bottom of mine so that they would cover more of the eyesocket.

Billye

Comment

Dear Dr. Bazan,

Thank you so much for your kind and helpful reply.

I do have a Titanium ultralight frame and light lenses, but they don't seem to help a lot. The 2.5 eyephorics sounds great, i need to figure out where to get a pair though.

My problem is also i have dry eyes. Before i got dry eyes, i wore glasses too but at that time, there was no problem at all. I have been trying different types of frames for a long long time, but the problem never goes away. I am treating my dry eyes too and they are getting better little by little but still far way from full recovery. The facial problem sees to be better too along with dry eyes.

I am very nerous right now because i graduate this August and will be working full-time and don't want my eye problem affect my career.

Any information and suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Hasan.

Originally posted by Justin Bazan OD View Post
                              It sounds like your frame and lenses need some optimization in both materials and fit.

Glasses should not touch your face (minus the nose and ears). Ideally, those should be only 3 points of contact on your head.

Nose pads are made from a few different types of material and some of them can cause an irritation. Regardless of you current material, you may find it beneficial to change materials ASAP. I find many patients do better with a new clean properly sized soft silicone nose pads that are replaced frequently.

Also, you may benefit from the lightest possible pair of glasses in order to spare the nose from undue weight. Heavy glasses = discomfort/irritation. Titanium or surgical plastic frames are not only lightweight, they are hypoallergenic, which would also help resolve any possible frame material allergy. Minimizing lens size and using the lightest possible lens material will also keep the weight down. Make sure you have an eyecare provider customize the frame specifically for equal weight distribution and 3 point touch.

I had similar issues as you and alleviated my symptoms by treating myself with a lightweight hypoallergenic rimless surgical plastic frame(and nose pads) with small lightweight lenses. The frames weigh 2.5 ounces and the lenses a few more! http://www.italee.com/25/25main.html

Comment

Working...
                              X