Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In what situations are your dry eyes worst?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In what situations are your dry eyes worst?

I am wondering, for all of you with diagnosed dry eye, what factors and situations are most stressful towards your condition? I'd like to insert myself into these scenarios and determine whether they affect me similarly.

In my case, being on a computer screen puts massive strain on my eyes, while most other scenarios are at worst only mildly stressful. Reading can be a problem too, but usually only when my eyes are already in bad shape after computer useage. I'm wondering if dry eye could be my main nemesis, or if some other condition is underlying all of this.

For me...

1) Situations requiring constant focus on something (which reduces the blink rate), e.g. computer use, driving, and reading.

2) Air conditioning, heating, wind, etc.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

My real issue is burning related to dry eyes or at least a screwed up tear film My comfort level decreases in sunlight and outdoors. Nighttime is very bad also.
      Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Also, when I get dry, sore eyes, they are almost always accompanied by a mild headache in the front area of my head. Is this common for dry eye?

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris
          2) Air conditioning, heating, wind, etc.
          ditto. i remember when i went to college it was hell for me because they had central air conditioning.

Comment

Jake, I have gotten a fair amount of eye strain due to dryness, but in your case I be betting on that convergency issue of yours, assuming it not just a minor case. Keep doing those exercises!
            Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Hi Jake,
              My eyes are worse when I am tired, near smoke, air con, heating or if I indulge in caffeine. I have dry eyes because of Sjogrens Syndrome, my immune system attacks all mucus secreting glands, so dry skin, mouth you name it its dry!
              Does anyone else find caffeine makes their eyes worse? I love a good cup of coffee and a diet coke, but usually the day after I suffer big time.
              Last edited by JoM; 01-Aug-2005, 17:08.

Comment

I am a Diet Coke fiend..........
                Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by JoM
                  Does anyone else find caffeine makes their eyes worse?
                  Yes. Not that it stops me ... but I can tell the difference. I try to remember to drink water more frequently when I'm drinking coffee or alcohol to avoid the dehydration effect.
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                  X