Are these symptoms dry eyes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these symptoms dry eyes?

I just found this message board today. I do need some help.

I have Lupus and I also have dry eyes. I have had tests for Sjogren's Syndrome but the tests were negative. My Mother did have postive tests for Sjogren's and she suffered terribly with her eyes.

This is my qustion: 3 weeks ago I had cataract surgery and have suffered with pain ever since. The ophthamologist says it is all from my dry eyes. The pain is awful. There are times when I get a very SHARP stabbing pain that goes through my eye and will persist. COULD THIS BE FROM DRY EYES? Yesterday I put in Systane drops, went to bed, kept eye closed and got 6 sharp stabs in a row.

I am distressed and wonder if anyone out there could shed some light on this.

Thanks, Marilyn

Hi Marilyn!

I also have very dry eyes and had cataract surgery on one eye in Oct. 2004. Prior to all of this, I had lasik eye surgery in early 2000 which started the dry eye problems.

I've had eye pain in the left eye since lasik. The doctor has always said he can't think of any other reason for the pain - except dry eye. In the 5 years between the lasik and cataract surgery, the pain subsided somewhat. With the cataract surgery, it came back in full force. I believe the small incision for the iol insertion was enough to cause much more pain than one usually experiences after cataract surgery. Again, the dry eyes come in as cause and affect.

I believe the pain will ease, but you can't be sure. I am no doctor, only someone with painful dry eyes. You might request an MRI with your doctor if the pain does not subside in a reasonable time. You may want to try some ointment for night, something like Refresh PM, and see if that helps. During the day, you should dose your eye(s) frequently hoping this will ease the pain and help the healing. Try dosing every hour for a couple of days and see what happens. This should be something your doc recommends. Did you have steroid drops and antibiotic drops after the cataract surgery? I did.

Have you had dry eye in the past? What drops besides Systane have you used? Does Systane have a preservative? Since you are so new from surgery be sure and ask your doctor. He may need to give you another series of antibiotics or steroid drops. Keep us posted.

Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Hello Mar

Welcom Marilyn - glad you found the message board. I was going to suggest you talk to Lucy, as I know she has great insight into some of the same problems you are suffering from. I see she found you and has some great info and compassion for what you are going through. You will find a lot of great people here with many different problems, but everyone of them has the same goal - to find relief for the discomfort they are going through. Everyone of them cares and is glad to offer whatever support they are able.

You might also want to talk to Gogo, as she also has gone through cataract surgery and is also experiencing difficulty. It is nice to be able to share with people who understand.

Comment

post cataract surgery

I am so thankful for the replies from you, Lucy and Gaye. I have no one else whom I can ask these questions of.

Once again I need to ask if you get the sharp, stabbing, sudden pain EVEN with your eyes closed??? This so troubles me.

I have used Genteal gel, Bion Tears, Bausch and Lomb Preservative Free, and am now using the Systane Preservative Free. These seem the best for me now. I use Refresh PM in the afternoon when I rest and at bedtime.

Yes, I have had all those drops: antibiotic, anti inflammatory, Pred Forte.

My eye was NEVER this bad before and I feel scared. I HAD to have the surgery because my sight was so bad. It was my high dose Prednisone given for my Lupus that caused these cataracts. Now I am to have the other eye done and I don't think I can.

I just might need to talk every once in a while as this has hit me pretty hard.

I wish both of you the best and I really thank you for taking the time to respond to me.

God bless both of you,

Marilyn

Comment

Originally posted by Mar
          Once again I need to ask if you get the sharp, stabbing, sudden pain EVEN with your eyes closed??? This so troubles me.
          Hi Marilyn, and welcome!

I can't speak to the sharp stabbling pain specifically but I will say that closing one's eyes does not by any means necessarily put a stop to dry eye pain/symptoms, so I wouldn't find what you describe surprising.

Since you've tried a lot of artificial tears, if you feel up to trying some more we have free samples of ours in our shop (subject to a shipping & handling charge). I would hope you might get some more relief with Dwelle & Dakrina.

Hang in there!!
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
          X