This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prozac for Neuropathic Pain

My eye doctor recently concluded that my eye problems are neuropathic (stemming from an overreaction in my brain) in origin. She has stated that given my very mild surface problems, it's extremely plausible that my brain is overreacting to this small pain stimulus. Basically, there's no way that the surface problems she views can yield such unrelenting pain.

As a result, she suggested I see a psychiatrist who deals with pain management (they don't just deal with depression and other mental illness). From evaluating my problem, he suggested I begin using Prozac. He suggested Prozac NOT FOR DEPRESSION, but rather as a means to decrease my eye pain. He says the drug is a generally used drug that has significant applications besides depression management. He believes this may induce changes in the way my brain perceives signals from my eye and thus will hopefully reduce the amount of pain I'm experiencing.

Does anyone think this is plausible? Has anyone been given Prozac, not for depression, but for eye pain?

have definitely heard of Prozac for pain

I sense that you have found a really smart psychiatrist in someone interested in trying Prozac for neuropathic pain. I have been on several tricyclics for eye pain (amitriptyline worked well), and have also been placed on Wellbutrin and Cymbalta for pain, over the years, with mixed results. These 3 drugs have been studied specifically for neuropathic pain treatment benefits, but I also recall that Prozac has been studied in this way, too. Though Prozac is not one of the more popular antidepressants used in pain management, I think that if you google Prozac and pain, you'll find some published study results on it.

Response to pain medications is hugely individualized, and so even if you don't encounter lots of impressive numbers for Prozac and pain, go with it, in deference to your doctor's experience and dedicated knowledge.

Before I sign off, I'll mention that SNRI Effexor has been studied for pain management, and produced some good results, too in this area. . .

Just a few weeks ago, btw, my ophthalmologist, who favors Lyrica for neuropathic eye pain, lamented that too few of her patients are willing to try antidepressants for eye pain. Like me, she feels that the side-benefit of addressing anxiety (usually possible through antidepressants) contributes favorably to the pain-control benefits of the antidepressants. . .

Would be excited to learn how you do on the Prozac. . .
    <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

I tried Prozac about 12 years ago - this was at my GP's suggestion because she knew that the pain & misery of my eyes was really getting me down.

There are many different types of depression and I didn't see myself as fitting into any of the categories. I had insight into why I was so low because once the physical torture of my eye pain abated, my symptoms of depression vanished. The GP thought it was worth trying just to get me `back on track' and able to cope. To be honest, it didn't seem to make any difference in my case so I no longer take it. (You have to give it a chance to `kick in')

Prozac is classified as an antidepressant but it acts on a wide variety of symptoms. It works by maintaining effective levels of the neurotransmitter serotonin, one of the substances which nerve cells use to communicate with each other. And yes, I have heard of doctors prescribing it to help cope with different kinds of pain.

Comment

Lyrica

Just a few weeks ago, btw, my ophthalmologist, who favors Lyrica ....
        I've not addressed this before on this forum because I'm not sure how to present it. This seems the perfect time.

First, I want to say that besides dry eye pain (Schirmers zero both eyes), I have trigeminal neuralgia which (in my case) is pain that goes straight into my eye and then behind the orbit. I've had it since shortly after Lasik 9 years ago. (You can look up additional info on TN if you need it.) The TN pain is why I haven't wanted to mention it on Dry Eye Zone as most do not have this extra "thing" to contend with and I didn't want people to think this would work for plain old dry eyes. (Maybe I was wrong.)

I've been on Lyrica for about 4 months at the suggestion of my rheumatologist. From the beginning, I noticed much of the numbness in my face went away after taking a Lyrica. The drug wears off quickly, unfortunately. After a few more weeks, it suddenly dawned on me that my TN pain was much less. About 50% less. My regular dry eye misery is still the same. But, without the worst pain (TN) I can forget about my eyes some of the time.

Above, Roijzen said her ophthalmologist recommended Lyrica for dry eye pain. Perhaps he/she is on to something. I just saw my ophthalmologist a few days ago and told him about the diminishing TN pain. Perhaps he can use that info on some other patients.

Lucy
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Antidepressants for pain

Inthedark -

I recently went to see an eye doctor in Baltimore, MD, who suggested either an antidepressant or Lyrica for eye pain. Her theory was exactly the same as your eye doctors. I am taking Celexa currently (first time I took it I was on a supplement which I later learned caused dry eye) so I'm going to try the Celexa again. If this does not help, I am willing to give the Lyrica a try. I can say that for the short period of time that I was on the Celexa the first time, it did seem to help the pain but, as stated previously, the dry eye was worse. Maybe these doctors are onto something. I am really hoping this works this time. Would hopefully help many dry eye patients.

Comment

Working...
          X