This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip to supermarket a nightmare

Pretty much within seconds of being in a supermarket, my eyes feel sore and start to smart. I feel as if it's the lighting, but it happens pretty quickly. I don't enjoy shopping at the best of times, but it does make it quite unpleasant. Does anybody else get this?

I had this same experience in walmart. I am new to dry eye (6months).
    I had to put on my Harley moisture goggles which I wear almost 24-7 as my dry eye is evaporative.

Melissa
    pianolady

Comment

absolutely...I think it's a combination of the aircon, different temperatures (ie freezing cold where frozen food is, hot other areas) plus blower heaters...and other peoples' perfumes. Also all the fumes coming off of cleaning products...have you ever walked down the aisle where they sell all the air and toilet fresheners and actually noticed the smells!!!

it's all chemicals which are bound to get in your eyes and irritate.

I never go into big shops without my protective goggles either.

Comment

The supermarket is an instant nightmare for me too. I use to love grocery shopping and cooking, but now I avoid it as much as possible. I second the suggestion to wear moisture chambers. I cannot find a pair of moisture chambers for my prescription, so I wear a pair of close fitting giant sunglasses, which moderately helps, so I assume moisture chambers would help even more. Everytime I go, I marvel at all the people who work there and wonder how they do it, being there 8+ hrs a day.

Comment

To me, it's the fluorescent lights. Other stores like Old Navy, and buildings like my church's Sunday School site affect me in similar ways. Big-time headache! If anyone has ideas, treatment, or solutions, please share.

Thanks!

Comment

Yes, I too think it's the lighting, but it always amazes me how instant it is, and I also end up with a headache. I may start shopping on line, but I always said that whilst I was physically able to do my shopping myself, I'd never do that, as I don't think I can justify it. Thank you all for your comments.

Comment

Working...
            X