This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red eyes

My eyes are always red. When they are really dry, then I get a kind of red ring around the cornea. Then I know, I really have to step up on putting in the drops. My left eye has really large red eye veins all the time, with no change. I think they are called telangiectasia. I have been to two different eye doctors, no of them seem concerned about the veins. One just said some people have large veins. I am starting to get them in my right eye now. I think I am doing something to cause this, but I don't know what.

When you say you have dry eyes from contacts, does that mean that your eyes get better if you don't wear your contacts? Or can contacts cause a type of permanent dryness? I wore contacts for years, but haven't since being told I had DES. No one told me this could be caused by the contacts.

Comment

My eyes are never red but hurt, burned, and felt tired almost all the time before I got scleral lenses. I could not understand how my eyes looked so good and felt so terrible. With the sclerals my eyes look fantastic because they are so wide open now...before they looked tired and squinty because they hurt so much. My eyes feel much better with the sclerals -- definitely not perfect but better.
      Cause of dry eyes: Meibomian Gland Dysfunction

Comment

Hate flourescents.

Mr Cabot said:
        Inside my own home with natural light or incandescent lighting my eyes do not appear bloodshot and actually look somewhat healthy. However if I were to walk into a grocery store or sporting goods store with flourescent lighting and look in a mirror my eyes appear extremely bloodshot.
        I'm so with you on that on mr cabot! Have you noticed how, when you get your photo taken with a flash your eyes will look white? I hate flourescents so much I had them taken out of my office. I went for nice dims instead.

Some people comment on how their eyes hurt real bad yet their eyes remain nice and white. How the hell? I have times when my eyes are comfortable and not bothering yet when I check ina mirror the look well red!

Huey.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy09
          why is EVERYONE'S dry eye always different from each other, with everyone having their own personal symptoms?? i bet it would be easier to find treatments and cures for dry eye if everyones symptoms were the same. i have had problems w/ constant redness since i was 14 and my dry eye is not nearly as bad as say, diana, and she doesn't have problems w/ redness at all. it seems like dryness and redness would go hand in hand. so frustrating... and like diana said, i bet its hard for people to believe you are in severe pain if your eyes look perfectly clear. ah, dry eye is so complicated.
          I have same symptoms as you amy and I got it at the same age as you. I have it for 16 years now. It almost ruined my youth - But I didn't let it!

It's a war against red eyes!, An I'm about to attack!!!

Huey.

Comment

hm obviously that very very puzzling for me if most of you don't have bloodshot eye......
            coz after all my opth said to me that is natural that u have bloodshot eye because ur eye are dry and being so, make the blood vessel to contract(something like dat) because of friction between the eye (or cornea) and the eyelid.........the eye thus become irritated and lead to redness..
            but hmm...
            those who don;t have bloodshot eye....mayB they don't have sever dryeye after all, based upon i said above...becuase mayB they have less sever (moderate d.e)....???

and another post from green eye about idiopathetic (watever) d.e u mentioned that u have d.e since 19...wow....and now u still have d.e after all those years...
            but.....u also mentioned it has somewat deterioated= become more sever??...but during the phase it was becoming more severe, till now.....did u took supplement like omegas and so on? ...because me too im young and if that happen 2 u till now....that begs the question...and me too ????
            If I have to choose between being happy and sad, I''ll choose being happy....... and you?... so.... stop choosing being unhappy (yeah its hard but....)....stop depressing........ live!!!

Comment

This dry eye thing is frustrating indeed. My eyes rarely feel irritated, gritty or burning. I mainly only suffer from red eyes. And I would rather suffer with the former rather than the latter. I'll gladly suffer through pain than deal with the constant redness of my eyes (lately...eye). Although I have something to be grateful for..the redness in my right eye is 'relatively' normal (I can live with how my right eye looks.) I can even stay outside for a while and my right eye holds up, but my left eye looks like I just got punched in the eye. ??? I can't explain it and it is so frustrating. I've been using restasis and it seems to be helping with half of my eyes. It's really hard for me socially when dealing with red eyes. Any advice on dealing with the social consequences of DES?

Kyle

Comment

I am so glad that this topic was raised because I was beginning to feel like a bit of a faker because my eyes look well and no one has ever said that my eyes look bad. Like Ian P always says, its a different story from the inside!
                When I read other peoples stories of being unable to go out because their eyes look so bad I was beginning to think that maybe I was over exaggerating my problem.
                As someone said earlier the frustrating thing about this issue is the variety of symptoms from person to person and from day to day.
                Barry

Comment

My eyes have red veins in them that hurt all the time. I have MGD and I believe it is because of that. They look squiggley and weird. No matter what I do, I cannot get rid of them.

Comment

Vitamin B2 for bloodshot eyes

I just read this in a book called "The Eyes Have It" by Earlyne Chaney. Anyone tried it?

Comment

Just a warning

Vitamin B6 in overdoses can cause perpheral neuropathy. Neuropathy is a very painful, burning,tingling, electric shock pain in the feet and legs. I would not recommend B6. Most of you get enough of it in your daily diet and your daily multivitamin.

Billye

Comment

I'm having redness too

Well, I'm somewhat jealous that some of us don't have that problem..
                        I can bear the pain and the dryness if the redness disappears.
                        Why theres no speical lenses or something like that to hide the redness??? I'm thinking it must not be difficult though.

Comment

red eyes

Originally posted by Flick View Post
                          Do you all that have dry eye also have red, bloodshot eyes? A lot of websites that list the side effects of dry eye focus on discomfort and itchiness, and don't mention redness. Just wondering if anyone out there has dry eyes that aren't red.

My eyes are pretty red. I haven't tried steroids yet but I think that may be my next step. All the pollen in the air right now doesn't help either.

PS. I have dry eyes from wearing contact lens.
                          My eyes are red as well. I finally resorted to wearing lightly tinted glasses on bad days.
                          Lilypad

Comment

I really dont want to wear tinted glasses. Its been more than 5 years and I'm still hoping that the redness will go away someday.
                            (Its only possible when dryness go away.)

I've read some post wondering about the relation of dryness and redness. Dryness let the eye surface exposed in the air, infection or inflammation is thus caused. And then redness.

Comment

Color for tinted glasses

Hi. My eyes have been red for 2 years now and I am ready to resort to tinted glasses. For those of you with tinted glasses:

What color tint works for you? Where do you get them?

Thank you!

Comment

Tinted Glasses

I ordered 2 pair from eyeglasses.com - just transisent lens - grey tint - look fine - don't get tint too dark - no one knows there not prescriptions glasses but me

Comment

Working...
                                X