This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• permanent grimace and exhausted appearance

There have been a lot of discussions about eyes and redness, but has anyone experienced physical changes around the eyes since LASIK? Prior to surgery, I don't ever remember the puffiness and rings below my eyes. I never had so many people tell me it looks like I need a good night of sleep. I never noticed my brow drooping. I never noticed a strange grimace in all my photos. I never remember having the pinches, squinting appearance I have now.

If I could deal with discomfort in my internal thoughts, that would be one thing I could manage, but I also hate that effects from LASIK have manifested in ways that other people can see too.

I know what you mean... for photos, I always get people to count to three before they take the picture... that way, I can blink tons, be squinty or whatever, and then the instant before they take the pic, force myself to hold my eyes open like a normal person and smile haha

Not sure if you're male or female (can't tell from your moniker), but as a female, I really miss wearing eye makeup... I naturally have dark circles under my eyes, but if I get less than about 8 hours per night of sleep, then holy cow! Those circles get sooooo dark! The other day at work, a customer told me I looked really tired... actually, I'd been getting lots of sleep prior to that, so it was just the lack of makeup, squintiness, eyes that were irritated and a bit red etc.... but what can I do?

Anyhow, not sure how long you've been dealing with this, and I know it's easier said than done, but if you keep trying, eventually you'll just learn to be ok with how you look. Not saying I don't get wistful thinking about how the pre-Lasik me used to look... but I've gotten to the point where most of the time I no longer worry about it anymore. Besides... there is no logical reason why we as a society should think that only picture-perfect people have an appealing appearance... don't let that trap suck you in... force yourself to learn to be ok with your appearance as you are... much easier to handle all this dry eye crap that way...

Comment

Originally posted by multiplier View Post
      I never remember having the pinches, squinting appearance I have now.
      I think a lot of people with dry eye struggle with that, whether from pain or photophobia - it's kind of an involuntary reflex to minimize the exposed surface of the eye.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

I certainly do! I grimace more and more as the day wears on.

Comment

I know everyone here obviously struggles with literal dryness, but has anyone found any ways to manage photophobia? I realize they are intertwined. If there were tinted contact lenses that would alleviate things, I would gladly wear them even though my eyes are so sensitive I'd probably barely tolerate them

Comment

Photophobia

Depends on severity. Some people can control it simply by improving the tear film enough with the right drops. Otherwise the two most reliable things I know are 7eye/Wiley style glasses with a close fitting insert or Prose lenses.

Edit: I see now you've been there and done that with the lenses.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

i experience exactly the same.
              at times this can be very difficult to deal with. this whole dry eye issue is already hard enough to cope with as it is without the worries about your looks.
              a while ago a colleague said to me; you lost your boy like appearance in a matter of two years. the twinkle in your eyes has literally vanished. what happened?. she didn't mean it bad,but nevertheless this sort of things hit you like a hammer.
              i also don't enjoy social events as much anymore as i used to. it is all such a hughe loss.
              things i do ;try to keep positive! if all this gets you down,you're lost. i have experienced that. don't ever let that happen to you.
              maybe a bit of an open door,but get lots of sleep. i work in shifts,so this is sometimes difficult for me. my early shifts start at 6 in the morning,those are my hardest days.
              try to live as healthy as possible. eat/drink healthy. (try to drink a lot)
              and the most important thing appearance wise; exercise! it has been told many times here on the boards. i don't know why it works,but it does! a good exercise makes my fatigue to disappear almost immediately,and i feel/look good for at least several hours.
              it is also beneficial for your overall health,but that is quite obvious i guess.

hope this helps you...

patrick...

Comment

Exercise

I agree on the point of exercise (if you are able to)

I go to a gym but you don't even have to do that - walking is better than nothing at all.

For me, the lower the feelings of depression, the higher the need to do something physical to counteract it - like an equation!

Comment

I think the exercise thing is great too for anyone who can do it... I do Pilates 3 times per week... (bought a DVD for $10... so it's a cheap way to do it!) I always feel like it gives me a mental boost... maybe because doing it forces me to concentrate on something else for 1/2 an hour... by the time I'm done, whatever was stressing me out seems manageable again. Also, I figure if my face doesn't look the way society expects it too (ie. makeup, bright white eyes etc.), at least my body can be in shape and I can feel good about that!

Besides, most people, when they look at you, probably just scan all of you and get a general impression of your appearance... so even if our eyes don't look the best, if the rest of you looks good, and you look happy, a lot of people won't notice the eyes (or so I like to delude myself haha)

Comment

Actually the thing I liken it to most is as if I'd had a massive sneezing fit just a few moments ago. Area around eyes is swollen and eyes are glassy.

Comment

Originally posted by multiplier View Post
                      Actually the thing I liken it to most is as if I'd had a massive sneezing fit just a few moments ago. Area around eyes is swollen and eyes are glassy.
                      hahaha, yes i know what you mean! i like that to.
                      for some reason this sneezing causes your facial muscles to relax for a moment i guess.
                      also as a result of the sneezing the lacrimal glands produce a little amount of tears that make your eyes nicely moisted. (unfortunately for a very short time )

patrick..

Comment

I have the opposite; my eyes might get a bit of moisture when I sneeze but it tends to burn more.

Comment

Originally posted by irish eyes View Post
                          I have the opposite; my eyes might get a bit of moisture when I sneeze but it tends to burn more.
                          hi irish eyes,

i guess when your eyes are really irritated than anything that hits the surface will give a burning sensation. i sometimes have that to. especially in the evening when i'm tired my eyes can't tolerate anything anymore. even an icecold soothing eyedrop tends to burn when applied at those moments. oh boy,do i hate that!...

patrick...

Comment

Working...
                          X