X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware of Bare Escentuals Makeup

Ladies,

I had been feeling so good lately that I decided to treat myself a few months ago to some new makeup. I went with the Bare Escentuals line, specifically Bare Minerals.

I initially loved the way it made my face look and got many compliments on my skin. About a month into the usage of it I developed itchy areas on my face. I chalked it up to dry skin. I went out and purchased Bare Minerals eyeshadow and mascara...

In the beginning of August I developed a rash under my eyes and my upper lids were swollen. I again chalked this up to dryness and also the MGD/blepharitis that I suffer from. Although I had never had lid problems, I figured the disease was entering a new stage. My eyes also teared constantly, which is also a completely new symptom. Just to be sure I stopped using the eyeshadow and mascara but continued with the foundation and blush.

Well fast-forward to this weekend and my entire face is an itchy mess and under my eyes is scaly and red!! I did some Googling and came across TONS of women complaining of similar issues when using Bare Minerals - most specifically on the Rosacea boards. I feel like an idiot - I should have Googled this stuff BEFORE spending all of the money on it but what's a girl gonna do.

Needless to say the makeup is in the trash. The people at work probably think I look like Dracula today but I don't care - I'll gladly go without makeup until this whole thing clears up!! As long as it DOES clear up!

So please be forewarned - the very thing that makes the mineral makeup shine - tiny metal fragments - could be causing the allergic reactions. Apparently there is also something named bismuth oxychloride in the stuff that could be the culprit as well. Perhaps not everyone is allergic to this stuff but I certainly am!

Rose

I have used it for years with no problems. Everyone is different.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

There are two makeup brands I've had extreme problems with and both were "no allergy", completely "natural" formulas.
      The first, my face blew up before the makeup artist's eyes as she kept claiming that the cheap makeup I was using was sure to cause an allergic reaction but the store's natural brand had never caused a reaction.
      Another was an expensive department store brand and thankfully, the makeup artist caught it faster than I did and handed me some makeup remover and told me to RUN to the bathroom to remove it. Have to give him credit because, unlike the previous one, he didn't hesitate and never for a moment pretended the reaction was from something else.

I agree with kitty. We all have different sensitivities and you never know what's going to cause a reaction. Unless I've been using something for years without reaction, I tend to prefer department store brands so that I can try products before I buy them. I'll visit the makeup counter in the a.m. and wear it about for the rest of the day in case I have a reaction that develops later in the day; if nothing happens, I feel good about buying the product but if I feel the slightest itch, redness, etc, I avoid the whole brand.

Comment

Thanks for posting this.

In my opinion, dermatologists have been on top of this and ophthalmologists have been way behind and are now playing catch up.

When I want to research information about irritant or allergic inflammation of the eyes, I first look at what is available from the dermatologists and just substitute “eyes” for “skin.” It is a very similar process and many people have both skin and ocular reactions to the same products.

This is a great article from WebMD about cosmetic allergies. Read the whole thing, but I have highlighted several points.

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/cosmetics

Not all reactions are typical “allergic” reactions:
        There are two allergic reactions that might occur following exposure to cosmetics: irritant contact dermatitis and allergic contact dermatitis. Contact dermatitis is a condition marked by areas of inflammation (redness, itching, and swelling) that form after a substance comes into contact with your skin.
        Not all reactions are the same:
        The time it takes for symptoms of irritant contact dermatitis to appear varies. For stronger irritants, such as perfumes, a reaction may occur within minutes or hours of exposure. However, it may take days or weeks of continued exposure to a weaker irritant, such as soap, before symptoms appear. In some cases, a person can develop an allergic sensitivity to a product after years of use.
        Test out your own sensitivities:
        When considering a new product, do a "mini-patch test" first to see if it causes a reaction. Put a sample of the product on your inner wrist or elbow and wait 24 hours to see if a reaction occurs.
        Don’t rely on labels or even the FDA to warn you of possible reactions:
        . . . the FDA requires cosmetic manufacturers to list the ingredients on the product label. Ingredients are listed in descending order of amount. Keep in mind, however, that trade secrets (including certain fragrances) do not have to be specifically listed.
        Labeling of cosmetics can be helpful when looking for specific ingredients, but be wary of certain product claims. For example, many products use the term "hypoallergenic," although there are no regulations or standards for use of this term. "Hypoallergenic" suggests that a product is less likely than another, similar product to cause an allergic reaction, but manufacturers are not required to prove this claim. In addition, products labeled "organic" are not less likely to cause an allergic reaction. Just remember: There is no cosmetic product that can guarantee never to produce an allergic reaction.
        You can report your reaction to the FDA for their database:
        http://www.webmd.com/fda/bad-reactio...etics-tell-fda

If you have any concerns about a cosmetic, contactMedWatch, FDA’s problem-reporting program, on the Web or at 1-800-332-1088; or contact the consumer complaint coordinator in your area.
        After ears of using my favorite body lotion (Clinique Happy Body Smoother) I would have sworn to anyone that I had no problem with it. But after I removed all other offending substances that I could determine, I finally stopped using the Happy lotion and I have had the best 3 years of eye comfort in the past 12 years since LASIK.
        Last edited by Scout; 20-Sep-2011, 17:45. Reason: clarity

Comment

Working...
        X