Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry eyes and cannot use sunblock - anyone have any sunblock recommendations?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry eyes and cannot use sunblock - anyone have any sunblock recommendations?

I have dry eyes and I have found that I can not get sunblock any where near my eyes or lips. That includes chapstick with any SPF. I am in California and the only thing I can use on my lips is by Rite Aid, it is their "original lip balm". If I get sunblock near my lips they go pink, then dry and very uncomfortable. About sunblock - I have tried to be so very careful not to get sunblock any where near my eyes - but somehow having it just close is enough to trigger pink eye in one of my eyes. Anyone have found any sunblock that doesn't irrate the eyes?
    Eileen

Anyone have found any sunblock that doesn't irrate the eyes?
    Yes, please, anyone? I am struggling with this, looking at all the expensive mineral sunblocks.
    Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Anyone have found any sunblock that doesn't irrate the eyes?
      A hat. With large, moisture-chamber sunglasses. Sorry.

But back in the 1990s, it became all the rage for people with rosacea to use zinc oxide sunblock. You can see a LiveStrong page about it: http://www.livestrong.com/article/47...n-for-rosacea/

The good thing about zinc oxide is it is a physical barrier. It doesn't move/bleed once you put it on. You can also get it unscented (which is a must).

Because I react so badly to almost everything topical, my derm told me to avoid all daytime moisturizers specifically because they contain an SPF. I was to find a nighttime moisturizer (which won't have an SPF).

But I gave up on topicals a long time ago and now wear hats and large sunglasses (moisture chambers). Last week, a person told me that I looked like I was trying to hide from paparazzi!
      Last edited by spmcc; 27-May-2012, 15:29.

Comment

That's about where we are on this too, Eileen. All the sunblocks make the nose and eyes sore.

For moisturiser, we are doing great on Dr Organic Manuka Honey Rescue Cream very lightly, calms things down, skin stops panicking, no adverse reactions around lips or creeping into eyes. So far, a simple beeswax and honey base has been best for 'maintaining the skin barrier/dermal matrix', as they say. Almost like the missing component. But it's when they add perfumes (like Burts Bees do) that our problems start. But I can't find a useful mineral sunblock. Bees don't seem to need it, unfortunately.

Large hat and wraparound glasses is such a good look, very good for your image
        Last edited by littlemermaid; 28-May-2012, 03:03.
        Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

I'm using Vanicream's sunscreen SPF 30, but haven't put it very near my eyes even though the derm recommended it for my face, not just body. I haven't reacted to it like I do to others I've tried, so it may be ok.

Vanicream also has a lip protectant with spf 30, but I haven't tried it yet since I'm not in the sun much and I do ok with Burt's Bees Lip Balm.

Also have tried a sample of Colorscience powdered sunscreen but it contains mica which I know is not good for my eyes so I keep it away from that area. I'm going to use the powder on my toes this summer since I can't use any lotion/cream there due to a disorder I have. I'm not sure if mica bothers everyone's eyes or if it's just me, but most people use the powdered sunscreen on the face.

Comment

thanks for the recommendation for the Dr. Organic Manuka Honey Rescue Cream - I will try that. You are exactly right that I cannot use Burts Bees products - I have tried - why the heck would they add perfume when it is supposed to be so natural...yikes. I do wear big hat, sunglasses, and I have known to tie a scarf around the whole hat to keep sun off of the sides of my face - it's a picture : )
            Eileen

Comment

I agree with the rest...hat and glasses ...but i use sunscreen on chin, jaw and neck..and then wash hands afterwards...I always touch my eyes and there they go!

Comment

I use Vichy sunscreen...just up to my cheekbones and down as far as my eyebrows. It's the only one that my eyes don't react to. Big sunglasses and a hat cover the rest...brings a little bit of holiday spirit into the mix
                The eye altering, alters all - William Blake

Comment

Neutrogena makes "sensitive skin sunblock lotion." It's 60 SPF; comes in a tube. It's a mineral only sunblock - zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, and is fragarance free. It's the only sunblock I can use that doesn't give me rashes or irritate my eyes. It does have a slightly thick consistency. I hope it works for you!

Comment

Originally posted by nanamarcia View Post
                    Neutrogena makes "sensitive skin sunblock lotion." It's 60 SPF; comes in a tube. It's a mineral only sunblock - zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, and is fragarance free. It's the only sunblock I can use that doesn't give me rashes or irritate my eyes. It does have a slightly thick consistency. I hope it works for you!
                    This is excellect info! Both ingredients (zinc oxide and titanium dioxide) are recommended for those with rosacea.

And fragrance-free is key!

Thanks!

(BTW, I just "starred" you!)

Comment

Working...
                    X