This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current travel restrictions

In case anyone's unclear about whether they can take dry eye meds onboard during the interim travel restrictions prompted by the recent terror developments:

US - The Department of Homeland Security's site says that 'essential' over-the-counter medications are permitted.

See:
    http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/ (scroll to bottom) and
    http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/interap...lease_0976.xml

UK - I just spoke with my sister who is flying from London to Grand Cayman tomorrow and they are draconian about liquids right now, she's not permitted to even take contact lens solution on board. In fact she can only take her passport, ticket, keys and small wallet. Any UK members who know more specifics on OTC medications permitted please advise....
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

UK Travel Restrictions

Rebecca,

I have been watching the BBC News channel throughout the day and there have been several references and clarifications on what is currently being allowed on the flight.

I think that we should be prepared that this is likely to continue for sometime as it is my opinion that some of the changes may become part of our flying regime (like the no sharp items did) for good.

The BBC Website http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4778615.stm provides a list of what is currently being permitted. No doubt this is subject to change.

In summary it specifically mentions - contact lenses are OK but no contact lens solution. It also states "Prescription medicines and medical items sufficient and essential for the flight (eg, diabetic kit), except in liquid form unless verified as authentic".

My suggestion is to get a letter from your doctor outlining what DES is and get them to list the items (products/solutions/gels/masks) that you require for the flight.

I would then take only what I needed for the flight (plus a few extras to accommodate for delays). Fortunately, I only use the disposable single use vials so no bottles of solutions.

I would also get Tranquil Eyes listed by my DR as I believe that it is a medical aide that I would be foolish to leave behind on a long haul flight.

Only a suggestion, hope it helps.

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Thanks Ian!!

Originally posted by IanPratt
      My suggestion is to get a letter from your doctor outlining what DES is and get them to list the items (products/solutions/gels/masks) that you require for the flight.
      I think that's a terrific idea - for the US too. I can only imagine how many things various travellers are going to be trying to persuade officials are 'essential' and that without documentation there may be problems.

Here's a thought: What about taking a standard form (such as the rough draft I've attached) and getting the doctor to sign and say staple it to an Rx sheet? (On the principle that when you make things easy for people they're more likely to be helpful.)
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Rebecca Petris; 10-Aug-2006, 21:07.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Fantastic Idea

Love the form, fantastic idea.

I was going to type up a list of stuff that I am using that I think are "essential" for my condition and have my Doctor sign it.

I will be taking your form with me on my next visit and requesting a signature.

Good luck to anyone braving the airports at the moment, I have seen the news footage on BBC News 24 and the airports here in the UK all ground to a halt around mid day today.

Fortunately I don't have any plans to fly anywhere for a few months yet.

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Great idea

Rebecca,
          I have been worrying this all evening. Can you add a place to the form for Physcians address and phone no in case they want to verify this.
          Billye

Comment

Done. Thanks! (I've replaced it in the previous post and the home page.)
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Linking this to Sjogrens

I'm posting a link to the Sjogrens Forum about this so they can get this good info and maybe we will get a few new members also.
              B

Comment

That is a great form and a great idea. Thanks Rebecca!
                Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Good INFO!!

Hi Everyone, just wanted to say that was some good information, I almost dropped dead when I heard on Fox News what happened yesterday and not too mention all who suffer from eye trouble. Can you just imagine if anyone was carrying their $100 eye drops and had to have them be ripped from their hands just because 21 or more idiots decided to cause more havoc

I wonder if they would take away Restasis since it can't be opened till you use it? It's in small plastic viles hmmmmmmm All I know is that my friend is flying soon to LA to see his favorite Aunty and he never watches the news, he uses me as the information bug lol, I told him to be prepared as when he travels he has to take half his closet and hair stuff, also if no one knows I thought I'd let everyone know who plans to fly within the month to arrive 3 hours early if your destination is within the US and 4 to 5 hours early if your destination is international!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So be prepared, it sucks but we can all Thank these individuals who care nothing about life and have to cause misery for everyone else just because they are miserable idiots!!! Everyone have a safe and happy weekend. Your friend in Potatoe Land Delilah

Comment

Latest Baggage Restrictions - Update 14/08/2006

Here is an update link on cabin baggage restrictions in the UK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4789593.stm

This is current as at 14/08/06 - 16:45 and is no doubt subject to change.

The BBC website is a good source for this type of info.

Happy travels.

Rebecca: You may like to put this one with the others on your welcome page as it is more up to date.

Ian
                    Last edited by prattstar; 14-Aug-2006, 08:47. Reason: forgot to put UK in the post

Comment

Thanks Ian for the updates - appreciate it! will update the home page. Actually I think I'll just redirect to this thread.
                      Rebecca Petris
                      The Dry Eye Foundation
                      dryeyefoundation.org
                      800-484-0244

Comment

In lieu of the letter, you could get your eye doctor to write a prescription for the OTC eyedrops that you wish to take on your flight (another option would be to have the doctor's office call the Rx into the pharmacy). Any pharmacist can then put a prescription label on the eyedrop box for you. Hopefully, you would not have any problem taking it onboard the flight since it is labeled as a prescribed medication.
                        Cause of dry eyes: Meibomian Gland Dysfunction

Comment

Good idea green eyes.

I travelled this last week for the first time since the liquids ban. I read up on the current restrictions (which limited contact lens solutions etc to a maximum of 4 ounces). I brought with me a bag containing Unisol, contact lens cleaner, and several very small bottles of wetting drops. I did not have a letter or anything with me. Outbound, no questions at all. Inbound, they took it out and did the little test for trace explosives, and used it to train staff about examples of bottle sizes that are OK.
                          Rebecca Petris
                          The Dry Eye Foundation
                          dryeyefoundation.org
                          800-484-0244

Comment

travel this week

Anyone else fly lately and have any trouble carrying drops? We have to make an emergency flight to LA on WEdnesday, and I am wondering about this. Last flight I used drops constantly. I am thinking those individual little vials would pass inspection?

Comment

Hi - I flew recently from the UK and had my bags searched twice before boarding. I had some prescription drops on me though and was allowed them.

Security within the US left something to be desired however (sure this will vary between airports). In fact it was rubbish, there was no extra security than before. Your bag goes through the x-ray machine as it always did and thats it. Whats slightly worrying is I had a bottle of water in my bag that I had meant to take out but forgot. It went through the scanner and was not picked up. I had several different eyedrops in there too. My bag was not searched.

Comment

Working...
                              X