X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas Sought: Dealing With Air Travel

Hi All,

I travel a lot for my work and wonder what other folks have done to minimize the negative effects of air travel. After searching the site and not finding a lot about this, I thought a focused discussion might be good.

While some of the impacts are unavoidable, e.g., that bomb detecting device in security that hits you with annoying blasts of air, there must be some strategies that others in the Zone can recommend.

Thanks,

- William53

You should try wearing tranquileyes goggles during your flight. Just be sure to wet the pads before boarding with your own water, or use distilled water from the flight. It might not be a good idea to use airplane water from the tap.
    FOR WE WALK BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT (2 Corinthians 5:7).

Comment

I have lots of fond memories of criss-crossing oceans back in my banking days - like dozing off and waking up with my lids stuck shut . At least back then, it was first class , so I could get a couple of those nice warm washcloths whenever I felt like it, and when all else failed there was good booze in unlimited quantities.

Actually, even when I used to bring my daughter on my trips but was too cheap to upgrade her on my own nickel, on transatlantic/pacific flights I could always get the flight attendants to do warm cloths. (You don't happen to have a baby or toddler as a prop, do you? ). Otherwise no shortcuts, just have to make your real needs known. Domestic US... it's, uh, kind of a different service standard and it's harder to get around on narrowbodied aircraft to chat up a flight attendant. These days I pretty much just turn off the vent, grit my teeth and keep a bottle of NutraTear in my hand. I drink lots of water and probably lubricate my eyes at least every 1/2 hour in flight - and those are the ONLY circumstances in which I ever dose that often. It's more complicated now that I have sclerals... I need them to see my way through airports, but I don't like to nap in them, and on the other hand I really really really hate to take them out while flying as I am terrified of losing one in those poorly lit lavs.

Saline rinse in the restroom after arriving is a good way to freshen the eyes especially if you have to get a rental car.

Tranquileyes is great for travel. Sadly I never seem to remember to pack mine these days. Panoptx is another option (some people might feel too self-conscious in TQ) and helps in the air-conditioned fluorescent-lighted terminals too. Before I had either of those, and before I started wearing Sclerals or even Macros I mostly used Dwelle and an eye mask (the light-blocking kind) in-flight.

I think that the Eyefeel self-heating warmers were ideal for flying... grrrrrrr I just heard today that the manufacturer has quit making them. There's the Thermoeyes now, but they're not so practical for travel unless you're motivated enough to bring something to boil them in so you can re-activate them (me, no way). Come to think of it I used to have a teeny little electric kettle I used to travel with to warm bottles - the size I had fit in my 22-inch roller bag without really displacing anything. Depends how desperate you are. Or, I suppose if you brought both pairs of thermoeyes, at least you'd have a set each for the outbound and inbound flights.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks for these ideas.

I'm just back from a few days on the road. Got stranded for 3 hours in the midwest. One of the frustrations is that sleeping makes my eyes get worse but then once I'm really tired just using my eyes, e.g., reading, makes them worse.

One strategy I've just picked up on is to not turn the little air blower above the seat on or, if it's really hot in the plane, point it away from my face.

Best,

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris
          I think that the Eyefeel self-heating warmers were ideal for flying... grrrrrrr I just heard today that the manufacturer has quit making them. T.

Are you sure about this??? Those got me through my 10 day honeymoon to Europe. They worked like a charm....

If they are indeed no longer being manufactured that is sad news... I did already put a call into Dr. Tsengs office and they said they had a new batch on order and would call me when they receive them... I'm hoping they get them since they are the best solution for warm compresses while travelling I've found.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ75
            Are you sure about this???... I did already put a call into Dr. Tsengs office and they said they had a new batch on order and would call me when they receive them...
            I will find out. Thanks for the heads up! I should have confirmed directly with them what the situation is before posting about it (I just heard through another regular user).
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

I will find out. Thanks for the heads up! I should have confirmed directly with them what the situation is before posting about it (I just heard through another regular user).
              I meant to order more in the beginning of September when I got home but forgot. After reading your post I got scared so I flung into action.

When you find out can you update us..

Comment

The OSC is "currently running out" but "working on getting more, hopefully in the near future". Fingers crossed and I will post when I know more.
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

The OSC is "currently running out" but "working on getting more, hopefully in the near future". Fingers crossed and I will post when I know more.

Interesting. I was told they had no more??

Comment

Working...
                  X