This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compresses "on the go"

I use a rice bag which I heat in the microwave to apply as a compress to my eyes. I was wondering if anyone has a different method they use when out on the road and a microwave isn't available -- or hot water isn't available for washcloth compresses. I have read about eyewarmers, but they do not seem to be widely available. I also have trouble envisioning how any type of device that does not plug into an outlet or use hot water could generate sufficient heat for a compress. Any thoughts?

Two possibilities that I know of:

1) EyeFeel, a self-warming disposable compress. This is made by a company in Japan, never really distributed in the US but available for quite awhile through Dr. Tseng's Ocular Surface Center in Miami. Availability was interrupted recently and I have not heard whether there are any more yet. - I've used this and found it to generate plenty of heat. It's basically like a glorified teabag - sachet sort of thing in a foil pouch. You rip open the pouch and the iron powder in the sachet oxidizes and it heats up. I'm a rice bag junkie yet I was unexpectedly impressed with EyeFeel. $2 apiece I think.

2) WARNING,NOT APPROVED FOR THIS USE as a medical device: the ThermoEyes inserts that you can get for the tranquileyes goggle have been used by some patients directly on their lids with some success as a compress. It's not an ideal travel solution (unless you buy several pairs - the kit comes as 2 pairs, plus pads, for $29 - reasonable considering they can be used for ages, but expensive if you're buying more than one kit - see www.dryeyeshop.com for details) because they have to be boiled after use before you can re-activate them. But for a coupla nights, or if you can bring along a mini electric kettle, it might do. - I haven't tried this out much myself so can't report much on it.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
    X