This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• going on a long flight

I'll be going to SouthAmerica a long overnight flight + total of 2 connections. I'm taking a small sytaine bottle with me and my tranquileyes, but how am I going to moist them? Would they still work dry? I also have the thermo pieces (blue inserts with a pice of metal that you can activate for heat) but I've never used them.
    I ussually take a book to read on planes but This will be mi first long flight with dry eyes! so I don't know if reading will be a good idea.
    There's no moisture on planes.

Any more ideas?

I'll be missing my warm compresses
    Dr eyes caused by long term contact lens wear

Hi Maria. I take Nature's Tears with me when I travel. It's a portable misting spray. It does absolutely nothing for me comfort-wise when I am home and have access to all of my usual comfort measures but when I am travelling ...any port in the storm, if you know what I mean. My eyes get so bone dry on a plane and in airports that I can't stand it. At least with Nature's Mist I feel like I'm doing something and can get a teeny bit of moisture/humidity to my eyes.

Maybe Nature's Tears would moisten the tranquileyes pads enough for you to get by? http://www.naturestears.com/
    Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

I had an 11.5hr flight after 2 shorter ones recently so I can sympathize...

I agree with Cindy. And in flight, convenience rules. I just keep a bottle of drops in my pocket and drop as often as I feel like.

Originally posted by Maria1972
      I'll be going to SouthAmerica a long overnight flight + total of 2 connections. I'm taking a small sytaine bottle with me and my tranquileyes, but how am I going to moist them? Would they still work dry?
      It's a good question, especially since they're not going to let you through security with distilled water!

Personally... I mostly just use it dry even when at home, and in flight, fighting the crowds for a lav (if you are comfortable using tap water on the goggle) is a pain. I just goop up my eyes and slip on the goggle. Definitely wear it if you're dozing. Strangely enough, lately I find that my eyes suffer MORE in-flight the more I'm dozing/sleeping than if I'm reading or doing something else. On this last one, I was travelling home with my daughter (4yo), and I did not have my TQ in my carryon. We'd had about 2 hours of sleep the night before and none on the early flights so we both sacked out for about the first 6 hours of the long flight. My eyes were pretty unhappy when I woke up but did better later on though I needed drops more and more towards the end.

I also have the thermo pieces (blue inserts with a pice of metal that you can activate for heat) but I've never used them.
      If you haven't used them the flight would be a good time to IMHO... If you have two unactivated sets you could use one a few hours into the flight and the other several hours later.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

one suggestion

We made a long road trip in the dead of Winter. Very dry air in the car plus the car heater. Before I left home, I moistened the pads in my tranquileyes and then put the whole thing into a plastic baggie and sealed it.

When I took them out several hours into the trip I still had wet goggles and they helped tremendously with the thermal pieces. Just be sure to wet the foam that comes with the thermal pieces tho, not the regular inserts. Just put the regular inserts into another plastic baggie. When I had to take them off I put them back into the plastic baggie and later did the whole process again.

I didn't feel that the 12 hours on the road was enough time for bacteria to start in the goggles and was able to use clean foam because I had two pair.

Hope this makes sense. I'm extremely rushed and stressed today. Maybe you get the general idea and it will help.

Billye

Comment

Pre-moistened pads in a baggy.... I never would have thought of that. What a good idea. I will try it on my next trip. Thanks Billye!
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
          X