This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using the computer: a great little tool

I came across this little tool on someone's blog here...

It's called Workrave (you can google it...or if I can post a link to it, let me know, and I will! )... It's basicly a little tool that reminds you to take little breaks when on the computer...

I've got mine set to tell me to take a 30 second break every 3 minutes... my eyes feel a LOT better when on the compute when sticking to this regimen... Granted, it's hard to stop what you're doing so often... especially when you're "on a roll"... but it's worth it since my eyes feel SO much better for doing this...
    Last edited by Rebecca Petris; 05-Nov-2009, 11:14. Reason: Added a link for convenience' sake...

There was an "eyeball" on this site that you could put in the corner of your screen and it was a reminder for us to blink. This may be the same thing? Maybe we should dust the eyeball out and bring it out. Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

It's actually quite different from Rebecca's blinkers... workrave is more to help remind you to take a break from the comp... and you can set your break reminders to whatever interval you choose as well. I think Workrave is a nice addition to the blinkers that Rebecca provides here.

And, like the blinkers, it's free.

Comment

I've used Workrave in the past and it's a great tool. I had forgotten about it, and I really need a reminder to look away from the screen and to leave the computer for awhile at certain intervals. Thanks for the reminder. I'll go back to it.

Is it the one that will actually give you little exercises to do during the breaks?

Comment

Yes, it does that too!

Comment

Thanks, SAAG!

I love this little tool---just what I needed, since I'm spending so much time at the computer I'm going cross-eyed.

Calli

Comment

Ive been using Workrave for... years now.

Comment

oh funny I use this because I have RSI but I haven't thought of it for eyes, will now make eye breaks too!!! fab!!!
                just keep swimming...

Comment

Thanks for posting this... I know others have posted it over the years but I'd forgotten what it was called. I've put a link to it on the home page of DEZ and also as an alternative on the page where we have those little blinking eyeballs. (Those are a very limited tool and they are probably most useful for Mac users because, for example, on a Mac you can drag them onto a sticky note that you keep visible all the time.)
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

Yeah!
                    This is great. I spend so much time on the computer for my job I really need something like this so I can have some "time in the bank" to be on the computer for personal reasons.

I left mine set on the default setting of one 20 second break every 3 minutes and it's amazing how fast that time goes by.
                    I think this is a very intuitive and well written program that always stays on top of the windows of both my screens and knows when I'm idle.
                    "In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer"
                    -Albert Camus

Comment

I'll check this out but I've never had a problem on the computer. Then again I don't have dry eyes but I do suffer from RCES.

One thing I'd like to advise is to consider to turn down the brightness and adjust the contrast on your monitors. You'd be amazed just how much dimmer you can make your monitors and how fast you can get used to it. New monitors often have the brightness turned up so high that it can be very tiring on the eyes. The other thing I do is I sit way back from the monitor (I need glasses to do this but I can look at the monitor a long time without a problem).

Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X