This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working or Unable to Work

I had previously posted a thread concerning disability and had not received much in the way of responses. Now I would like to be a little more basic with my question and ask for people to comment on whether they are working or unable to do so. This would be very helpful to me to know.

Thanks.

I think you got few responses because many people are struggling with the same question and have no answers themselves. I wonder if a lawyer has some answers?

As for myself, I have 25 years old, and I am not working. I spent over a year working with DE and that was terrible, and I could not handle it anymore. Luckily, I had no debt, no dependents, no car, and was very frugal from age 22-24 as I was working to save money for graduate school. I have been living off my savings and am very lucky to be getting additional help from both my dad and boyfriend. I have also been selling my things on Amazon and Ebay and I am planning on looking for part time employment.

I think this is great question and I am also wondering how other people are getting by until their eyes improve. Any tips and suggestions about money/job/disability/insurance bills would be very helpful.

Comment

I forgot to ask, I remember you saying that mental health related disabilities have a shorter duration...can those be extended?

As for your college-aged kid, can he/she become listed as an independent, so that he/she can get more loans, grants, scholarships, and work study, so that you won't need to support him/her as much anymore?

Comment

Thanks for the response. The mentla health disability cannot be extended due to the way that my company's plan works. I am currently working with a lawyer to see what might be possible to change the disability type.

As for my son, I had considered his taking out loans for his last two years of college. That would help, but given my age and how many years I have left until SS kicks in, this is not a long-term solution. I am still struggling with how I will pay the basic bills once the disability stops.

Comment

Working...
        X