This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlarging resolution on monitor

For work I enlarge the resolution on my monitor to be able to see everything better and not make my eyes fatigue more than they need to. For a 22 inch monitor the resolution is 1680 x 1050 but I put it to 1400 x 900 because I like how much large everything becomes and it's easier to see. However anybody who owns an LCD knows that this can cause a slight blurriness to the monitor because it's not the default resolution. Can staring at a slightly blurry monitor cause vision deterioration? I hope not because it makes it a lot easier on my eyes to not have to fatigue to see tiny letters.

i do wear glasses (my left eye is off from perfect by a very tiny bit) so it does create a slight bluriness. However the question I'm asking is if looking at something blurry can damage your vision? when you put a resolution on a monitor that isn't the default one it stretches the pixels and makes them slightly blurry. the reason i do this though is because then the objects on the screen are larger and i dont' have to strain my eyes are much to see them.

Comment

Try changing the DPI setting instead

Originally posted by dgreen97 View Post
      For a 22 inch monitor the resolution is 1680 x 1050 but I put it to 1400 x 900 because I like how much large everything becomes and it's easier to see.
      If you are using a Windows PC, try keeping the monitor at the default resolution (1680x1050) and enlarge the text by bringing up the Display Properties (right click on the background and choose properties) and then choose:

Display Properties->Settings->Advanced

and try changing the DPI setting until you find a size you like. If your PC is on a network, you will need to have a system administrator change the setting as you might not have permission to change this value. This should enlarge the text without it becoming blurry from running at the non-native monitor resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by dgreen97 View Post
        For work I enlarge the resolution on my monitor to be able to see everything better and not make my eyes fatigue more than they need to. For a 22 inch monitor the resolution is 1680 x 1050 but I put it to 1400 x 900 because I like how much large everything becomes and it's easier to see. However anybody who owns an LCD knows that this can cause a slight blurriness to the monitor because it's not the default resolution. Can staring at a slightly blurry monitor cause vision deterioration? I hope not because it makes it a lot easier on my eyes to not have to fatigue to see tiny letters.
        I work all day as a Systems Analyst doing programming which is very intense
        on the eyes. At work I use a 22" LCD, and a 24" LCD at home. My eyes
        get blurry from being dry and small type compound the problem.

For most people who are just surfing the web here is what I suggest.
        Now this is for PC users, MAC people, I'm sure may have similar options
        dpedning on the browser you use.

In Internet Explorer, Select Tools and a box opens up.
        There should be a couple of buttons there, one for Fonts
        and the other for Accessibility.

Choose Fonts first. There is list there. Select a font like
        "Ariel Black" or one that has a bold thick type if you
        dont have this one in the list. Select OK.

Next. choose Accessability. Check the box in there that
        says "Ignore font styles specified on web pages". If
        the pther boxes are checked uncheck them.
        Select OK. Then select OK again.

This gives you nice bold font on all your web page type.

So if you dont want to mess with the resoultion, I've found this
        works for me.
        My Dry Eye Story:
        http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...7575#post47575

Comment

I also use a Blackberry, and find my email difficult to read. I set the display font, but email was displaying with the original fonts and colors.

I discovered I can over-ride with my fonts by opening the email; pressing the menu key, and selecting "Get plain text". Then I can read my email!

Comment

I use firefox and can enlarge text by holding down "control" and turning the wheel on the mouse - one way enlarges and the other way makes it smaller.
            I use a pc.
            Last edited by magoo; 08-Feb-2010, 16:20. Reason: add info

Comment

Enlarging Text

Check out my post on Dry Eye and Working on the Computer All Day, along with the ones on Omega 3.

Those may help.

I manipulate the text on my computer screen but there are always trade offs like pages that don't completely fit. I use 14 pt font when working in Word or Excel and that helps also. But the new glasses work the best.

Comment

Working...
              X